The Collection: An Adventure In Sound - Audio Fidelity 4.0 Multichannel SACD (May 2016)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmoura

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
In the SACD Stereo section of QQ, there has been talk about the new Acoustic Sounds catalog (Winter 2015, Edition 0.9) that is arriving in mailboxes of Acoustic Sounds customers.
It lists some upcoming Hybrid Stereo SACDs from Analogue Productions.

What you may not have noticed in the catalog, is that while Page 35 highlights some of the Audio Fidelity SACD releases, there is also a half-page ad on Page 53.

In that ad, you may notice an Audio Fidelity Multichannel SACD that hasn't been announced yet. Or I don't think it has. See image below.
I think you will find it of interest..... :)

Surround Sound Quad Sampler - AFZ5 240.jpg

Audio Fidelity SACD Ad - from Winter 2015 Acoustic Sounds Catalog

And a big raspberry goes out to all the nay-sayers who said a compilation album wasn't in the cards! hehehe!

But now does this mean that we will see the full albums from whence these selected songs came?

I wonder what song title is by Harry Nilsson ... I don't see Edgar Winter on that list.

And a big raspberry goes out to all the nay-sayers who said a compilation album wasn't in the cards! hehehe!

But now does this mean that we will see the full albums from whence these selected songs came?

I did mention earlier on QQ that the two Legends Sampler SACDs were among the best selling SACDs at Audio Fidelity.
So this one seems like an obvious next step. :)

Tracks that can be licensed for a sampler or a box set aren't necessarily available for album release on SACD.
Time will tell as to how that plays out. For now, I'll take these in a Multichannel SACD Sampler.

This is really exciting news, because (aside from the great artists represented) the release of this SACD stands to confirm the survival of between 6 and 14 release-quality quad master tapes, depending on if this compilation uses tracks from albums that have already seen their quad mixes released digitally in one format or another or not.

I made a little list of the artists in the graphic above with notations of which of their albums have had their quad mixes already digitally released. As you can see, almost half of the artists listed haven't had any quad mixes released digitally, and of the artists that have, all of them still have other albums with quad mixes that remain unreleased.

Miles Davis
Jeff Beck [Already Released: Blow By Blow SACD, Self-Titled SACD, Beck Bogert Appice DTS CD]
Mahavishnu Orchestra [Already Released: Birds Of Fire]
Friends Of Distinction
Henry Mancini
Herbie Hancock [Already Released: Headhunters SACD]
Blue Oyster Cult
The Isley Brothers [Already Released: 3+3 SACD]
Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes
Harry Nilsson
Earth Wind & Fire [Already Released: Open Our Eyes SACD]
Santana [Already Released: Abraxas DTS CD]
The O'Jays [Already Released: Ship Ahoy SACD]

There's a lot to be excited about from this list - initially I was going to single out a few (may have done a couple of fist pumps over seeing the Isleys and the Philadelphia Records artists on there) but in fact there isn't a bad name on that whole list, both from a musical standpoint and from a quad mix aggressiveness standpoint.

So I have lots of hopes for this release - hopes that it will turn people on to some of these artists and their quad material so they'll be frothing at the mouth for individual album releases, hope that it means AF basically has their eye on albums that aren't available for licensing now but may become available in the future, hope that we see tons more quad masters unearthed by all of the record labels in the future. Bring on 2016!

Any indication of when we might see a full tracklist and/or release date?

WOW..!!!!!!! :yikes

I'm guessing comps like this are one way of getting Quad mixes out on SACD track by track when there's no hope of the entire album making it to Surround SACD for whatever reason...

I'm hoping they are all NEW to SACD and not like an EWF track from Open Our Eyes, or a Mahavishnu number from Birds of Fire.. but maybe I'm hoping for too much! :eek:

Whatever it is, please let the tracks include things that were either only in SQ LP form or that have never quite sounded "right" in any Quad conversion (I've ever heard anyway), like..

Bob Dylan - anything from Desire (I'm not bothered about Nashville.. although Planet Waves could be interesting?),

Jeff Beck - Goodbye Pork Pie Hat (an inky black background to this Quad masterpiece please!! unlike most of the rest of the Wired Quad which is very ping-pongy and flashy this one is classy and so much nicer than the stereo imho.. not something I can say for every track on the Quad of Wired, a couple of the mixes are processed a bit reverb heavy for my liking but this track is sensationally mixed),

Herbie Hancock - (maybe whatever the first track is on Sextant? The Quad mix is just AMAZING..! Not sure how palatable it is as a sampler track though, everything about that album screams DEEP CUT.. so maybe one of the more accessible things off Thrust? Probably best to avoid Secrets?),

BOC - whichever track it is on Secret Treaties that goes "DOMINANCE" in the front channels and then "SUBMISSION" in the rears, I forget the name of it at the moment but its a bloody hoot in Quad..!,

Isley Brothers - ANYTHING from The Heat Is On Quad -- PLEASE??? It feels like I will die before I hear anything from the Heat Is On Quad otherwise.. if it actually even exists!!!... Would particularly love to hear "HOPE YOU FEEL BETTER LOVE" in Surround.. failing that, then something off Go For Your Guns or Live It Up rather than Harvest FTW, please..,

Harold Melvin - either The Love I Lost (the backing vocals that flip from rear left to rear right and back again "sorry I lost it" = rear left, "sorry I lost it" = rear right.. fab!) or anything from Wake Up Everybody (stunning album, only on SQ LP),

EWF - preferably anything from Spirit - as its a late Quad would be lovely to hear it discrete from the mastertapes (no offence to Q8 or SQ but I just know this could be bettered being taken from the masters),

Santana - ideally something from Welcome or Santana III (plenty of excellent mixes to choose from there),

O'Jays - anything off Family Reunion as it was another SQ LP only Quad.. Living For The Weekend maybe? it just brings the biggest smile to my face everytime I hear it.. vamp it up baby..!!!

SO SUPER EXCITED ABOUT THIS ONE - WHEN'S IT OUT..?????

WOW..!!!!!!! :yikes

I'm guessing comps like this are one way of getting Quad mixes out on SACD track by track when there's no hope of the entire album making it to Surround SACD for whatever reason...

I'm hoping they are all NEW to SACD and not like an EWF track from Open Our Eyes, or a Mahavishnu number from Birds of Fire.. but maybe I'm hoping for too much! :eek:

Whatever it is, please let the tracks include things that were either only in SQ LP form or that have never quite sounded "right" in any Quad conversion (I've ever heard anyway), like..

Bob Dylan - anything from Desire (I'm not bothered about Nashville.. although Planet Waves could be interesting?),

Jeff Beck - Goodbye Pork Pie Hat (an inky black background to this Quad masterpiece please!! unlike most of the rest of the Wired Quad which is very ping-pongy and flashy this one is classy and so much nicer than the stereo imho.. not something I can say for every track on the Quad of Wired, a couple of the mixes are processed a bit reverb heavy for my liking but this track is sensationally mixed),

Herbie Hancock - (maybe whatever the first track is on Sextant? The Quad mix is just AMAZING..! Not sure how palatable it is as a sampler track though, everything about that album screams DEEP CUT.. so maybe one of the more accessible things off Thrust? Probably best to avoid Secrets?),

BOC - whichever track it is on Secret Treaties that goes "DOMINANCE" in the front channels and then "SUBMISSION" in the rears, I forget the name of it at the moment but its a bloody hoot in Quad..!,

Isley Brothers - ANYTHING from The Heat Is On Quad -- PLEASE??? It feels like I will die before I hear anything from the Heat Is On Quad otherwise.. if it actually even exists!!!... Would particularly love to hear "HOPE YOU FEEL BETTER LOVE" in Surround.. failing that, then something off Go For Your Guns or Live It Up rather than Harvest FTW, please..,

Harold Melvin - either The Love I Lost (the backing vocals that flip from rear left to rear right and back again "sorry I lost it" = rear left, "sorry I lost it" = rear right.. fab!) or anything from Wake Up Everybody (stunning album, only on SQ LP),

EWF - preferably anything from Spirit - as its a late Quad would be lovely to hear it discrete from the mastertapes (no offence to Q8 or SQ but I just know this could be bettered being taken from the masters),

Santana - ideally something from Welcome or Santana III (plenty of excellent mixes to choose from there),

O'Jays - anything off Family Reunion as it was another SQ LP only Quad.. Living For The Weekend maybe? it just brings the biggest smile to my face everytime I hear it.. vamp it up baby..!!!

SO SUPER EXCITED ABOUT THIS ONE - WHEN'S IT OUT..?????

Don't forget about these folks

[video=youtube;oZk9CmJIDLQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZk9CmJIDLQ[/video]

Quick question for Brian;

Is this a Hybrid disc or is it single layer?

Also, let alone redbook, is there even a 2ch SACD option on it, or is it a pure Surround only disc?

(Did I say how super excited I am about this disc already? :ugham: )

Quick question for Brian;

Is this a Hybrid disc or is only single layer?

Also, is there even a Stereo/2.0 track on it, or is it a pure Surround only disc?

(Did I say how super excited I am about this disc already? :ugham: )

I'm looking at the picture in the catalog and I'm not sure if that is the actual cover or a "mock up"...but on the bottom of the cover in VERY small print on a black background(I'm trying to say that it's hard to read so I could be mistaken) it says SACD SURROUND SOUND-SACD STEREO-CD STEREO

Fredblue the BÖC track you are thinking of is called simply "Dominance and Submission", would indeed be a great track, still I believe The Reaper would be better in a commercial sense perhaps, especially since the 2001 sacd is very pale. Still, I am hoping for something on Tyranny & Mutation or Secret Treties

Fredblue the BÖC track you are thinking of is called simply "Dominance and Submission", would indeed be a great track, still I believe The Reaper would be better in a commercial sense perhaps, especially since the 2001 sacd is very pale. Still, I am hoping for something on Tyranny & Mutation or Secret Treties

I also think it will be the Reaper..

Ah that'll be the one, thanks ;) ....sometimes the answer is staring one in the face! :eek:

I v.much doubt they will revisit the existing Agents Of Fortune SACD.. it'll be from either one of the Quads (I don't care what track from which actually they are both wonderful Tim Geelan mixes)

This Sampler SACD contains all Sony/Bmg quad artists.(and that's a good thing of course)

I wonder if they will also do a second sampler from the WEA Quad catalogue?

Hell yes, this is awesome! Just seeing this single offering makes me think/hope that they can release "many" samplers...that would be outstanding!

Back