Surround Shuffle Playlists! :)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Ok, first off, it's not a dance. Can you imagine what the surround shuffle would look like if it actually was a dance though?! :banana:

One of my dreams has been to be able to shuffle through surround mixes the way I shuffle through stereo mixes on my computer and phone (through apps like iTunes and Spotify). This is something I have been wanting to achieve for quite a while now, and I have finally put forth the time and effort to figure it out.
The main step in all of this was figuring out how to play multichannel files off of my Sony VAIO laptop through my surround sound receiver via HDMI, and once that was figured out, all I had to do was right click on my multichannel file folder, click on the Play in VLC option, and hit shuffle in VLC once loaded.

So I will be using this thread to post on a daily basis what VLC shuffle generates for me once I get more surround mixes imported into my computer.
Oh this will be so cool! :)

I've also started doing this by making a play list on a USB key and then playing it with my Oppo BDP-105. I simply love it and wish I could do this with all my Multichannel music.

Ok, first off, it's not a dance. Can you imagine what the surround shuffle would look like if it actually was a dance though?! :banana:

One of my dreams has been to be able to shuffle through surround mixes the way I shuffle through stereo mixes on my computer and phone (through apps like iTunes and Spotify). This is something I have been wanting to achieve for quite a while now, and I have finally put forth the time and effort to figure it out.
The main step in all of this was figuring out how to play multichannel files off of my Sony VAIO laptop through my surround sound receiver via HDMI, and once that was figured out, all I had to do was right click on my multichannel file folder, click on the Play in VLC option, and hit shuffle in VLC once loaded.

I've been doing this for years with foobar2000 as the player, ever since laptops starting offering HDMI output. I almost never play the audio off of physical consumer media anymore. Everything's ripped to portable external drives. And yes, shuffle play is fun.

Kodi has someting called Smart Playlists which can be played sequentially or shuffled.

A Smart Playlist can be something like:
Music from the 70s: Where Release Date > 1969 and Releas Date < 1980

Or you can add other filters such as Genre:
Rock music: Where Genre is Rock

Or combine as many as you want:
Rock Music from the Seventies: Where Release Date > 1969 and Releas Date < 1980 AND genre is Rock

Back