Suggestions for Dutton Vocalion Multichannel SACD Releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anybody know if there's a quad of Paul Mauriat & his orchestra with Love Is Blue on it? The "Blooming Hits" album maybe, from '68?

There are few Japanese CD-4 LPs of Mauriat's music that were released in the 70's so there are Quad mixes of his music out there. Unfortunately, I think that some of those albums have already been released as Stereo CDs by Vocalion or Universal. I for one would buy Quad SACDs of his music in a heartbeat.

Here are a few of those dreamy Japanese CD-4 LPs:

Anybody know if there's a quad of Paul Mauriat & his orchestra with Love Is Blue on it? The "Blooming Hits" album maybe, from '68?

There are a number of Paul Mauriat & Orchestra CD-4 discs available from Japan and Korea.
Not sure if any of them include Love Is Blue.

From the Quadraphonic Discography:

PAUL MAURIAT & ORCHESTRA -
Best Of Best. Philips 4DX-28 (CD4) [Japan], Sung Eum Limited
SEL-100 269 (CD4) [Korea]

Best Of Best Vol. 2. Philips 4DX-59 (CD4) [Japan]

Emmanuelle-Paul Mauriat In CD-4. Philips 4DX-60 (CD4) [Japan]

Fantastic 4 Channel-El Bimbo. Phillips 4DX-43 (CD4) [Japan], Sung Eum
Limited SEL-100 260 (CD4) [Korea]

Fantastic 4 Channel. Philips 4DX-3 (CD4) [Japan], Sung Eum Limited
SEL-100 280A (CD4) [Korea]

Fascinating Sound In CD-4-El Bimbo, Emmanuelle. Philips 4DX-62 (CD4)
[Japan]

Holidays. Philips 4DX-8 (CD4) [Japan], Sung Eum Limited SEL-100 280B
(CD4) [Korea]

Love Themes Collection. Philips 4DX-36 (CD4) [Japan]

Penelope. Philips 4DX-1 (CD4) [Japan], Sung Eum Limited SEL-100 281
(CD4) [Korea]

The Way We Were-Screen Themes CD-4. Philips 4DX-46 (CD4) [Japan]

Toccata. Philips 4DX-12 (CD4) [Japan]

http://www.surrounddiscography.com/quaddisc/quadpall.htm#M

There are few Japanese CD-4 LPs of Mauriat's music that were released in the 70's so there are Quad mixes of his music out there. Unfortunately, I think that some of those albums have already been released as Stereo CDs by Vocalion or Universal. I for one would buy Quad SACDs of his music in a heartbeat.

Here are a few of those dreamy Japanese CD-4 LPs:

I saw some of the stereo ones also. I'm hoping that maybe he'll be in the next round of releases for quad, when/if they do them - thanks, Simon -

Quick question. I have never had the pleasure of hearing any of the Quad albums released on Philips. How would someone qualify their mixes? Gimmicky or well balanced in all four channels?

Looking thru Discogs, I noticed Dutton Vocalion have released some Maynard Ferguson albums on CD in the past.. wouldn't it be wonderful if they could remaster his "Conquistador" Quad album for Surround SACD someday? :)

Looking thru Discogs, I noticed Dutton Vocalion have released some Maynard Ferguson albums on CD in the past.. wouldn't it be wonderful if they could remaster his "Conquistador" Quad album for Surround SACD someday? :)

A splendid idea, Adam. A great Ferguson album. It might even be a good candidate for an Audio Fidelity QUAD release.

A splendid idea, Adam. A great Ferguson album. It might even be a good candidate for an Audio Fidelity QUAD release.

Thanks Ralphie baby! :upthumb ..ok, Maynard's ConQuadstador wasn't an RCA title back in the day of course.. unlike these Mancini, Montenegro the Quadfather and Perry Combover jobs.. but I'm still hopeful Dutton Vocalion would have a shot at Maynard's Quad seeing as it's probably still under Sony Music's auspices..!? Tbh I don't care who reissues it, just so long as a.) it happens, b.) it's in Surround and c.) whoever does it does it well without the crummy distortion of the SQ LP! "Gonna flyyyyy nowwwww.. Flyyyyyy.. Flyyyy..!" etc. :eek: :D

Thanks Ralphie baby! :upthumb ..ok, Maynard's ConQuadstador wasn't an RCA title back in the day of course.. unlike these Mancini, Montenegro the Quadfather and Perry Combover jobs.. but I'm still hopeful Dutton Vocalion would have a shot at Maynard's Quad seeing as it's probably still under Sony Music's auspices..!? Tbh I don't care who reissues it, just so long as a.) it happens, b.) it's in Surround and c.) whoever does it does it well without the crummy distortion of the SQ LP! "Gonna flyyyyy nowwwww.. Flyyyyyy.. Flyyyy..!" etc. :eek: :D

Right ON, Rocky Balboa BUCKLEY! Yes, the Maynard Ferguson version of the Theme from Rocky is THE definitive version, IMO. Begs for a mch SACD release.

Right ON, Rocky Balboa BUCKLEY! Yes, the Maynard Ferguson version of the Theme from Rocky is THE definitive version, IMO. Begs for a mch SACD release.

The Quad mix of Rocky isn't bad, Ralph.. it just sounds like shit on the SQ record! I bought two minty copies just to make sure.. gonna fly now, off to bed now! Ciao for now! :fly:

The Quad mix of Rocky isn't bad, Ralph.. it just sounds like shit on the SQ record! I bought two minty copies just to make sure.. gonna fly now, off to bed now! Ciao for now! :fly:

From my recollection of the SQ of Conquistador (yes, I have it), the horns reached that ultrasonic stratosphere and unless your equipment is up to par (TT, cartridge, decoder, etc), it would be nigh impossible to properly reproduce. BEGS for an QUAD SACD release, IMO.

Ta, Ta, AB.........hope you're clutching your "rocky" doll for a restful sleep.

Well... a guy can dream. One of my faves!!

Hi Clint,

I've had continued positive correspondence with Mr. Dutton since the beginning of the year, and I know that he's generally happy with the sales of the 6 SACD 2-fers that Dutton did at the beginning of the year. There's nothing concrete to report yet, but I would suggest (and this is just my opinion, nothing he's said) that if you want more of this type of thing from Dutton that you vote with your wallet and buy what's already out there, and also spread the word about them to other places beyond QQ.

I'm surprised how little they've been spoken about at SH.tv for example - it seems like the presumption is that because they're such a bargain price that the sound quality isn't going to be good. To my ears the mastering is really nice, and very much in line with the type of audiophile-grade mastering that Steve Hoffman, Kevin Gray, etc. do - little to no compression and a bit of an EQ boost in the upper-midrange to make the music sparkle without sounding overly bright. Obviously comparing the mastering of different albums is apples and oranges, but for my money Dutton seems to have got better results (sonically) out of old RCA quad master tapes than Audio Fidelity has, so far.

Michael has a long background in the industry (he worked at Morgan studios in London in the 70's, where they did the Jethro Tull and Black Sabbath quad mixes amongst others) and has a good grasp of what's available, but he also faces the same hurdles generally speaking that AF has/does - essentially that you have to find titles that a) you can license b) you can find the tapes for c) that will sell, and if any of those conditions can't be met it's a non-starter. I've tried to be respectful of this in not overloading him with demands or requests, but I like to think I have a relatively good grasp of what might be available for licensing and I've made my case for some of these to him. I think if you follow my postings on here at all, you'll have a general idea of what sorts of things these might be.

So there's nothing concrete to report at the moment, but I'd definitely say the vibe is positive. If (or hopefully when) there is something new to report, you'll definitely hear it here first.

Dave,

I want to say "Thank you" for having contacted Mr. Dutton and shared with him your thoughts on possible titles to release. Based on what we've seen this morning, we're in for quite a few treats.

I actually like his "stealth" delivery. Once a year, BANG, a bunch of Quad SACDs. No endless teasing, no build ups. No frills, slipcases, limited edition number stickers. Here's what we have for you this years gents. Thank you very much!

I'll be getting most of these and I'm still surprised we're getting Tower of Power and The Main Ingredient. Those two are pretty left field for me. Excellent choices.

As for reaction from the SH.tv front, I've started threads on most of these releases and they've gotten very little action. As these may not cater to Rock fans, I gather people don't give them a second thought. Their loss.

Dave,

I want to say "Thank you" for having contacted Mr. Dutton and shared with him your thoughts on possible titles to release. Based on what we've seen this morning, we're in for quite a few treats.

I actually like his "stealth" delivery. Once a year, BANG, a bunch of Quad SACDs. No endless teasing, no build ups. No frills, slipcases, limited edition number stickers. Here's what we have for you this years gents. Thank you very much!

I'll be getting most of these and I'm still surprised we're getting Tower of Power and The Main Ingredient. Those two are pretty left field for me. Excellent choices.

As for reaction from the SH.tv front, I've started threads on most of these releases and they've gotten very little action. As these may not cater to Rock fans, I gather people don't give them a second thought. Their loss.

Oh yes Simon! Incredible job by Dutton Vocalion and steelydave!

There are many superb Quads here for QQ members to pick up.. the Hugo Montenegro's are surround demo showcases, really wonderful mixes.. the Tower Of Power is seriously underrated so I'm hoping this will give it a new lease on life and a long overdue reappraisal.. the Percy Faith & Ray Conniff's are surprisingly good Quad mixes too.. I prefer Percy musically (by quite a long chalk) but I know several people here will be very happy about the Conniff Quads (not least you Simon! ;) oh and I know our kap'n krunch is fond of a bit of Conniff too! :smokin

Thanks me hearty, moi aussi.. over the bloody moon! :upthumb

sing it with me now! :p

"while we went to the moon.."

:music

And just think Adam....only about 1200 unreleased QUAD/5.1 titles to GO..........better start taking your MEGAvitamins, so, by age 70, you'll have them ALL in your possession!:yikes

And just think Adam....only about 1200 unreleased QUAD/5.1 titles to GO..........better start taking your MEGAvitamins, so, at age 70, you'll have them ALL in your possession!:yikes

haha.. ;) I don't need or want all 1200 Ralphie.. maybe 1199.. and those I would most love to see reissued (mainly the Soul/R&B stuff) to happen way before 2046 please! :D

The big news here is for me is that Vocalion is branching out a bit further towards pop/R&B titles. That is exciting news. Seems like just yesterday I was saying that I think it's time for the next vintage quad announcement, and here it is!!!!

This is big news, and if the two R&B releases become the hotter or hottest selling titles Vocalion has issued (in quad) to date, then it paves the way for dare I say... Isleys and O'Jays.

And to further comments on buying discs to support the label, Marshall said that if one buys up every title in support of the label it does not give them as accurate an account of what the hotter titles really are. Yet we find ourselves with lowered expectations of releases from AF due to lower sales on some quad layered product. Which means that yes, scooping up these releases, and doubling up on the hot titles expected to be rarer on the trading circuit in just a few short years after going OOP is a good idea, both for supporting the labels that release vintage quad, and as investments for future flippers.

Back