Dutton Vocalion UK mining the Sony Music quad catalog for Multichannel SACD release!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
http://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/blog/

Sorry if there is already a thread on this, I searched but did not see anything, thought there would be some interest here :)

With Vocalion’s Christmas 2015 release, a new world of audio is opened up. Remember the Quadraphonic boom of the 1970s? It was when many of the major record companies decided that stereo was no longer enough and launched four-channel (quadraphonic) sound. For that section of the record-buying public fortunate enough to own a hi-fi system capable of reproducing four-channel recordings, they were able to hear music literally in a new dimension, because now not only did the sound come at them from front-left and front-right (as it would in conventional stereo), but also from back-left and back-right too. This “surround” effect placed the listener in the centre of the music instead of just in front of it, and as a result new meaning, depth and clarity was brought to the music that emanated from the LP spinning on the turntable or the 8-track cartridge whirring in the tape player. Thankfully, many of the artists who appear so regularly on Vocalion were originally recorded in glorious quadraphonic sound, and we’re excited to present twelve quadraphonic albums across six discs in the SACD – Super Audio Compact Disc – format. (These SACDs also play on any standard CD player, in which they’ll yield full stereo sound.) The artists involved are among the giants of the easy listening field and, we’re very glad to say, have become fixtures on the Vocalion label.

Two of the SACDs are devoted to the lush orchestral music of Henry Mancini. On the first, trumpeter-flugelhornist virtuoso Doc Severinsen partners him in two albums, Brass on Ivory (1972) and Brass, Ivory and Strings (1973), while the second features the elegant piano style of Mancini himself backed by full orchestra in Six Hours Past Sunset and A Warm Shade of Ivory, both from 1969. Mancini’s music is particularly apt for the four-channel treatment. Being enveloped by his rich, sweeping strings adds considerably to the music’s emotional impact. Pianist and country music supremo Floyd Cramer returns with four albums on two separate SACDs: Class of ’73 and Class of ’74-’75, and Super Country Hits (1973) and The Young and the Restless (1974). Produced by Chet Atkins and recorded at the famous “Nashville Sound” Studios, it’s certainly an ear-opening experience hearing Cramer’s inimitable piano in wide, expansive four-channel audio. And you’ll marvel at just how alive and vibrant his country interpretations of popular hits are when given the quadraphonic treatment.

American conductor-arranger-composer Hugo Montenegro is featured on an SACD compiling two remarkable albums he recorded in the early and mid-70s. Others by Brothers (1975) saw him blending his bank of ARP synthesizers with conventional instrumentation in arrangements of soul, jazz and funk hits. The Duke Ellington staple Caravan comes up shining anew in this funky, electric version, and you’ve certainly never heard the soul classics What’s Going On and Nothing from Nothing in such inventive and colourful orchestrations as you will do on this SACD – and adding to the excitement is their rendering in quadraphonic sound. Scenes and Themes (1972) presents a selection of popular film themes in Montenegro arrangements designed specifically for the four-channel recording process.

Last but certainly not least, the final SACD in this batch focuses on the smooth-as-silk voice of legendary crooner Perry Como, in two albums from his vast discography: Perry (1974) and In Person at the International Hotel, Las Vegas (1970). On both, he applies his elegant vocal style to a smorgasbord of evergreens such as Temptation, Without a Song and Hello, Young Lovers that sit alongside songs of the ’70s including You Are the Sunshine of My Life, The Way We Were and Beyond Tomorrow. Again, four-channel sound introduces an exciting extra dimension, especially so on the In Person … album, which was recorded live: four-channel conveys the magical ambience of a concert in a way that conventional stereo simply can’t.

Now for the technical bit. Vocalion’s Hybrid SACDs consist of three layers: a standard stereo CD layer at 16-bit 44.1khz, and two separate high-resolution layers, each of which have been mastered at 24-bit 352khz – one in stereo, the other in four-channel 4.0. Michael J. Dutton remastered both the stereo and four-channel elements from the original analogue tapes: for the stereo element the original ¼” stereo masters were used, and for the four-channel element the original four-channel “discrete” masters were used. These were used respectively to cut the original stereo and quadraphonic vinyl LPs.

From their blog entry :

Into the Fourth Dimension … Quadraphonic sound comes to Vocalion

With Vocalion’s Christmas 2015 release, a new world of audio is opened up. Remember the Quadraphonic boom of the 1970s? It was when many of the major record companies decided that stereo was no longer enough and launched four-channel (quadraphonic) sound. For that section of the record-buying public fortunate enough to own a hi-fi system capable of reproducing four-channel recordings, they were able to hear music literally in a new dimension, because now not only did the sound come at them from front-left and front-right (as it would in conventional stereo), but also from back-left and back-right too. This “surround” effect placed the listener in the centre of the music instead of just in front of it, and as a result new meaning, depth and clarity was brought to the music that emanated from the LP spinning on the turntable or the 8-track cartridge whirring in the tape player. Thankfully, many of the artists who appear so regularly on Vocalion were originally recorded in glorious quadraphonic sound, and we’re excited to present twelve quadraphonic albums across six discs in the SACD – Super Audio Compact Disc – format. (These SACDs also play on any standard CD player, in which they’ll yield full stereo sound.) The artists involved are among the giants of the easy listening field and, we’re very glad to say, have become fixtures on the Vocalion label.

Two of the SACDs are devoted to the lush orchestral music of Henry Mancini. On the first, trumpeter-flugelhornist virtuoso Doc Severinsen partners him in two albums, Brass on Ivory (1972) and Brass, Ivory and Strings (1973), while the second features the elegant piano style of Mancini himself backed by full orchestra in Six Hours Past Sunset and A Warm Shade of Ivory, both from 1969. Mancini’s music is particularly apt for the four-channel treatment. Being enveloped by his rich, sweeping strings adds considerably to the music’s emotional impact. Pianist and country music supremo Floyd Cramer returns with four albums on two separate SACDs: Class of ’73 and Class of ’74-’75, and Super Country Hits (1973) and The Young and the Restless (1974). Produced by Chet Atkins and recorded at the famous “Nashville Sound” Studios, it’s certainly an ear-opening experience hearing Cramer’s inimitable piano in wide, expansive four-channel audio. And you’ll marvel at just how alive and vibrant his country interpretations of popular hits are when given the quadraphonic treatment.

American conductor-arranger-composer Hugo Montenegro is featured on an SACD compiling two remarkable albums he recorded in the early and mid-70s.
Others by Brothers (1975) saw him blending his bank of ARP synthesizers with conventional instrumentation in arrangements of soul, jazz and funk hits. The Duke Ellington staple Caravan comes up shining anew in this funky, electric version, and you’ve certainly never heard the soul classics What’s Going On and Nothing from Nothing in such inventive and colourful orchestrations as you will do on this SACD – and adding to the excitement is their rendering in quadraphonic sound. Scenes and Themes (1972) presents a selection of popular film themes in Montenegro arrangements designed specifically for the four-channel recording process.

Last but certainly not least, the final SACD in this batch focuses on the smooth-as-silk voice of legendary crooner Perry Como, in two albums from his vast discography: Perry (1974) and In Person at the International Hotel, Las Vegas (1970). On both, he applies his elegant vocal style to a smorgasbord of evergreens such as Temptation, Without a Song and Hello, Young Lovers that sit alongside songs of the ’70s including You Are the Sunshine of My Life, The Way We Were and Beyond Tomorrow. Again, four-channel sound introduces an exciting extra dimension, especially so on the In Person … album, which was recorded live: four-channel conveys the magical ambience of a concert in a way that conventional stereo simply can’t.

Now for the technical bit. Vocalion’s Hybrid SACDs consist of three layers: a standard stereo CD layer at 16-bit 44.1khz, and two separate high-resolution layers, each of which have been mastered at 24-bit 352khz – one in stereo, the other in four-channel 4.0. Michael J. Dutton remastered both the stereo and four-channel elements from the original analogue tapes: for the stereo element the original ¼” stereo masters were used, and for the four-channel element the original four-channel “discrete” masters were used. These were used respectively to cut the original stereo and quadraphonic vinyl LPs.

Now what I can parse from this is that the following albums are coming out on hybrid stereo/multichannel discs with quad on the multichannel layer, and they're all 2 albums per SACD (as indicated):

Henry Mancini (w/Doc Severinsen) - Brass on Ivory (1972) / Brass, Ivory & Strings (1973)

Henry Mancini - Six Hours Past Sunset (1969) / A Warm Shade of Ivory (1969)

Floyd Cramer - Class of '73 / Class of '74-'75

Floyd Cramer - Super Country Hits (1973) / The Young and the Restless (1974)

Hugo Montenegro - Others by Brothers (1975) / Scenes And Themes (1972)

Perry Como - Perry (1974) / In Person at the International Hotel, Las Vegas (1970)

(Edited to add pre-order links, and the discs are a bargain at £9.99 (about $15 USD) each.)

The blog doesn't say exactly when the discs are supposed to be out but the post is entitled 'Vocalion's Christmas 2015 Release' so you would expect they're coming imminently. Very exciting!

Wow. Great find there. Interesting development, all of a sudden these old lost quads are coming back from the dead!

AND as "two-fers" to boot!

Outstanding news! I have some of Dutton's SACDs. Very happy with the quality!

Outstanding news! I have some of Dutton's SACDs. Very happy with the quality!

Brett, I can't believe it........more QUAD. BTW, are the albums discrete?

Addenda: Just ordered 4 Vocalion SACDs from AmazonUK. They should arrive before my birthday. With s/h and the fact that they're 'two~fers'....comes out to $10 per album!

BTW, for US customers, when ordering these SACDs from AmazonUK, the VAT is NOT removed as they're being shipped directly from Vocalion and ALL the announced titles are now in stock.

Wow. Great find there. Interesting development, all of a sudden these old lost quads are coming back from the dead!

AND as "two-fers" to boot!

Think no one back on december 2014 could predict all this old quad movement that is happening now... if just someone could do a mch-sacd car radio again would be good!

Brett, I can't believe it........more QUAD. BTW, are the albums discrete?

Addenda: Just ordered 4 Vocalion SACDs from AmazonUK. They should arrive before my birthday. With s/h and the fact that they're 'two~fers'....comes out to $10 per album!

BTW, for US customers, when ordering these SACDs from AmazonUK, the VAT is NOT removed as they're being shipped directly from Vocalion and ALL the announced titles are now in stock.

I was referring to some of their earlier stereo releases of classical music on SACD. I am satisfied with the fidelity on those recordings. I don't have any of these new Quad SACD releases.

I was referring to some of their earlier stereo releases of classical music on SACD. I am satisfied with the fidelity on those recordings. I don't have any of these new Quad SACD releases.

I should have them soon so I'll publish a full report. I checked the quad database and these albums were originally released as CD~4 vinyl so they're the REAL deal. Mancini's Warm Shade of Ivory was always a favorite of mine. Mancini is certainly no slouch at the piano.

Check out the price of the RBCD of Mancini's Warm Shade of Ivory new at AmazonUS http://www.amazon.com/Warm-Shade-Iv...0_&refRID=13CEDWGDKMGXHJAVCD2E&tag=acleint-20

$333~$433.00 + s/h :yikes

I should have them soon so I'll publish a full report. I checked the quad database and these albums were originally released as CD~4 vinyl so they're the REAL deal. Mancini's Warm Shade of Ivory was always a favorite of mine. Mancini is certainly no slouch at the piano.

Check out the price of the RBCD of Mancini's Warm Shade of Ivory new at AmazonUS http://www.amazon.com/Warm-Shade-Iv...0_&refRID=13CEDWGDKMGXHJAVCD2E&tag=acleint-20

$333~$433.00 + s/h :yikes

Ho Ho Hooooooooly stocking stuffers!!! :yikes

Someone sure wants to have a Very Merry Christmas! LOL!!! I guess we shouldn't be too surprised with those insane prices on Amazon. But it gets me every time. Looking forward to your reviews. I'm still thinking over which ones to get. That Mancini disc is probably a done deal.

WOW!! Thanks Dave! Amazing new find! :worthy Lets hope these sell well enough for Dutton Vocalion to really rip their way through the RCA/BMG/Sony vaults for loads more great Quad..!!! Just ordered the 2 x Mancini and the Hugo Montenegro SACDs (as they're the Quads I know out of that lot but I will probably get the others in the New Year too) from Amazon UK.. crikey.. who said 2015 was over for new surround releases..!? Haha.. :D ..Well, WHAT A YEAR for us Quaddies eh..!!! :yikes :wave

...who said 2015 was over for new surround releases..!?

There are currently at least eleven multi-channel SACDs on their way to me - seven Vocalion, Judy C, and three titles from ARS Produktion, whose founder, Annette Schumacher, confirms have a lot of discrete sound in the rear speakers. Plus at least three double CDs and one single CD. Plus a couple of LPs. Physical media seems to be quite healthy.

I came across two Vocalion Jazz SACD titles at HRAudio. They list them both as multichannel but I cannot verify that.

The two titles are http://hraudio.net/showmusic.php?title=1067&showall=1 and http://hraudio.net/showmusic.php?title=774.

I did order the latter title and will report on the performance/SQ once I receive it.

Some additional info from the Dutton Vocalion website: http://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=CDSA6815 and http://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=CDSA4801.

No mention of multichannel but I'm always looking for hi res jazz recordings.

Addenda: A copy of the email I sent today to Dutton Vocalion: "I am one of 10,000 members of a US based Quadraphonic website called QuadraphonicQuad forum and we are VERY excited about your newly announced listing of 6 QUAD titles from the RCA catalogue and wonder if you would take suggestions for further releases in the SACD QUAD format. We invite you to visit our website and introduce yourselves and would like VERY much to chat with you. Many thanks in advance."

I would strongly urge other interested parties to do the same! Can't hurt. http://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/contact.php

Ralphie, I have the Upswing! SACD (2nd one you linked to) and it is 1.) MultiChannel and 2.) Excellent..! :upthumb

Wonderful, Adam.

Now get out your quill pen and parchment paper and draft an email :teleport: to Dutton Vocalion. And don't forget the Buckley Corporate Seal.

I wonder if they have access to the Columbia Quads, as well. Wouldn't that be special?

Ps. Henry Mancini and Hugo Montenegro are on their way (no, not from beyond the grave.. on Surround SACD..) haha.. Amazon says they should be here by Jan 9th but knowing them that means they may well be here before Christmas..!! :D

Back