Dutton Vocalion UK mining the Sony Music quad catalog for Multichannel SACD release!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
much to my shame Ralph, I don't know that album :eek: ..but it does sound cool :)

still there's loads of Babs in Quad DV could have fun with, no remixing required!

Barbra Joan Streisand, Live @ Forum, Funny Girl, Stoney End, Way We Were, Lazy Afternoon, ButterFly, Funny Lady.. (BJS, Stoney End & Way We Were in particular are great Quad mixes.. and my SQ LPs are knackered so spanky new Surround SACDs would be dee-luvverly! :D )

So I'm on record as preferring D-V go deeper into classical, but if they can get these albums at the same prices they could get the Danny Davis and Hugo Montenegro albums, then by all means I'd support it. However, the odds of that seem low, and given the rumors of soft sales of the AP Quad releases of...softer material, it would seem that licensing those quads at more expensive prices would not be the best move.

There's loads of Babs in Quad DV could have fun with, no remixing required!

Barbra Joan Streisand, Live @ Forum, Funny Girl, Stoney End, Way We Were, Lazy Afternoon, ButterFly, Funny Lady.. (BJS, Stoney End & Way We Were in particular are great Quad mixes.. and my SQ LPs are knackered so spanky new Surround SACDs would be dee-luvverly! :D )

If Dutton Vocalion can license the Streisand Quad albums from Sony Music for SACD reissue and the artist, they would be interesting titles.
No doubt about that. :)

much to my shame Ralph, I don't know that album :eek: ..but it does sound cool :)

still there's loads of Babs in Quad DV could have fun with, no remixing required!

SHAME on you Adam. It's one of Bab's finest moments. A nice Jewish girl from Brooklyn, NY warbling in French with the great Michel Legrand arranging and conducting. Her brilliant version of Autumn Leaves alone is worth the investment. Buy the remastered SONY RBCD PRONTO and THAT is a DIRECT order, AB. NO dilly dallying!

And yes, releasing ALL of Bab's QUADs would be FANTABULOUS.

Urrrrrrrrgh Snood went ahead and bought the 3 Hugos :rolleyes:

Way to go QQ:mad:@:

See what ya made Snooooooooooooood do :banana::banana::banana:

Have the Tower and Main Ingredient already:smokin

Thank you so much!!!!!

Does anybody have the Ray Conniff and Arthur Fiedler titles?

Can't wait!!!!

Regards,

Conniff = yes ("I like it a lot" ;) )

Fiedler is in the next clutch I ordered, which I am guessing will arrive once the 4 Seasons & E Power Biggs etc preorders come into stock later in Jan.

Urrrrrrrrgh Snood went ahead and bought the 3 Hugos :rolleyes:

Way to go QQ:mad:@:

See what ya made Snooooooooooooood do :banana::banana::banana:

Have the Tower and Main Ingredient already:smokin

don't think you'll regret it, love those Hugo Montenegro SACDs, they're surroundarific! :music

Thank you so much!!!!!

Does anybody have the Ray Conniff and Arthur Fiedler titles?

Can't wait!!!!

Regards,

I got them and they are great. Never heard these titles sound so good. This and the other releases have been my go to titles in my Q4, Q8 and CD-4 enjoyment. Now, the tapes and records can take a long deserved rest.

Just got my first clutch of five titles, listened to Montenegro Godfather disc and André Kostelanetz Plays the Music of Villa-Lobos/Spanish Music. To be negative first, I really didn't care for the music on the Montenegro disc - far too cheesy and dated for my taste. I'd advise that people listen to some of his stuff on Youtube or whatever else before ordering. However, the quad mix is demo-worthy - really active and well done. So if you like the music definitely get it.

The Kostelanetz disc requires no such equivocation - Like Fiedler he straddled the line between classical and pop, although his legacy has faded more than Fiedler's and he is seen as having gone further away from classical than Fiedler did (thus ironic that the first offerings we get from Dutton is pop from Fiedler and classical from Kostelanetz ). The Villa-Lobos is interesting and was as I understand it something of a premiere recording, while the Music from Spain part is a surprisingly varied program, less greatest hits than selections, many of which are pretty obscure, the main exception being the well-known music from The Three Cornered Hat. The mix is more than ambience but not as active as the mix from the Montenegro record. Highly recommended.

As an aside, there's an interesting "in memoriam" to Kostelanetz with interview excerpts here: http://www.wqxr.org/#!/story/andre-kostelanetz-tribute/

Just got my first clutch of five titles, listened to Montenegro Godfather disc and André Kostelanetz Plays the Music of Villa-Lobos/Spanish Music. To be negative first, I really didn't care for the music on the Montenegro disc - far too cheesy and dated for my taste. I'd advise that people listen to some of his stuff on Youtube or whatever else before ordering. However, the quad mix is demo-worthy - really active and well done. So if you like the music definitely get it.

The Kostelanetz disc requires no such equivocation - Like Fiedler he straddled the line between classical and pop, although his legacy has faded more than Fiedler's and he is seen as having gone further away from classical than Fiedler did (thus ironic that the first offerings we get from Dutton is pop from Fiedler and classical from Kostelanetz ). The Villa-Lobos is interesting and was as I understand it something of a premiere recording, while the Music from Spain part is a surprisingly varied program, less greatest hits than selections, many of which are pretty obscure, the main exception being the well-known music from The Three Cornered Hat. The mix is more than ambience but not as active as the mix from the Montenegro record. Highly recommended.

As an aside, there's an interesting "in memoriam" to Kostelanetz with interview excerpts here: http://www.wqxr.org/#!/story/andre-kostelanetz-tribute/

Ubertrout, on the contrary, I found the Kostelanetz disc (Spain/Villa Lobos) to be wildly discrete on my system. Easily, one of my VERY favorite D~V QUAD reissues but I did take note that you highly recommended it. That's two of us!

Ubertrout, on the contrary, I found the Kostelanetz disc (Spain/Villa Lobos) to be wildly discrete on my system. Easily, one of my VERY favorite D~V QUAD reissues but I did take note that you highly recommended it. That's two of us!

I should have been clearer - it's definitely discrete, it's just not discrete by the standards of a non-Tacet classical recording, in my opinion. It usually the surrounds much more than a typical ambient surround classical recording. But the Montenegro record is more discrete because of the heavy use of effects and multitracking.

I should have been clearer - it's definitely discrete, it's just not discrete by the standards of a non-Tacet classical recording, in my opinion. It usually the surrounds much more than a typical ambient surround classical recording. But the Montenegro record is more discrete because of the heavy use of effects and multitracking.

those Hugo M. Quads are also so super Quaddy because our man Montenegro used to do his thang from the ground up with Quad in mind, arranging everything in the 70's specifically to be heard in surround sound! they didn't call him the Quadfather for nothing.. amazing surround music.. sad he kicked the bucket not too long after Quad shuffled off, he probably died of a broken heart! RIP Quadfather, gawn but not forgotten :friday:

*ahem*

Gos clears throat, while noting that mailbox is still crying for some new discs to arrive....mailbox says it's been over 35 days now. Mailbox is getting an attitude I think.

I might get a new mailbox... :violin

hey Gene! get a multichannel cat flap while you're at it!

:kitty: :kitty: :kitty: :kitty:

(one that can accommodate at least 4 meeowing moggies at once! :D )

its "a little bit funny" Ralphie, cos I avoided getting the SQ LP of Krusty Kostelanetz's Spanish inquadisition and his Quadro castanets thinking "it won't be very Quaddy" -- and lo and behold it is! I just hope my 4th batch of DV SACDs doesn't come before Gene's 1st or he'll come over to Blighty and kick my a$$ from 'ere to Kathmandu..! :yikes

OK, I'm weak. And, I must like pain, as long as it takes to get these... :) Ordered 3 more...

Details Name
  • CDLK4570 Henry Mancini & Doc Severinsen - Brass, Ivory and Strings & Brass on Ivory
  • CDLK4598 Arthur Fiedler - Greatest Hits of the '70s Vols. 1 & 2
  • CDLK4603 Henry Mancini - Mancini Country & Country Gentleman

I spoke to Michael Dutton today and he wanted me to relay that if any of the outstanding D-V shipments never show up, they'll replace them free of charge.

GOS, I feel particularly bad for how long you've waited, given how big a part of QQ your exuberance for surround music in general is. Just from personal experience, surface mail from the UK to North America can be unpredictably and agonisingly slow - I had some vinyl sent from the UK last year and it took nearly 60 days to arrive. I know that doesn't make waiting any easier, but I suspect your discs are going to show up eventually. I don't know how convenient going to your local post office is, but it might be worth popping in just to make sure you don't have any undelivered packages sitting there. I've had that happen where the package is at the post office, but the delivery slip notifying me to collect never made it to my mailbox.

I obviously can't say anything about D-V's future plans at this point, but between here, their facebook page, email requests and suggestions from amateur know-it-alls like myself they definitely have their finger on the pulse of what people are after, both in popular and classical music. They may be relatively new to SACD, but they've been doing CD reissues for 20 years now so they know what they're doing, both in terms of the quality of their product and the titles they're choosing to release. I think we all have quad albums we'd like to see them release, but they have to strike a balance between 'dancing with the one that brung ya' (ie the customers who got them to where they are now) while also carefully expanding the scope of their quad releases, as paying to license a title that doesn't sell or releasing a title that leaves them with hundreds or thousands of unsold copies does no favours to anyone. They also seem to have a keen sense for finding hidden gems, and I think the positive reviews of the Kostelanetz and Legrand discs - albums no one was asking for - bear that out. So who knows, maybe your next favourite quad SACD will be one you didn't even know you wanted.

A few pages back someone was asking if these releases are remastered or flat transfers - they're definitely remastered, and beautifully so. I haven't done any technical analysis on the SACD layers, but the CD layer of the Tower Of Power disc is DR14 (compared to the old 1993 Sony/Columbia release, which was DR13) and the Main Ingredient CD layer is similarly dynamic so if there's any compression being used in mastering it's minimal at most. The Penguin Guide to Classical Music on CD called Michael Dutton "the supreme magician of CD re-mastering" and I can't argue with that at all based on what I've heard. He seems to be bringing the same audiophile grade mastering at discount price release philosophy to his non-classical quad releases.

I'm wondering if anyone has access to some high quality album cover files? When I go to Vocalion and save the image...it's pretty much blurry garbage. Would Vocalion provide these??

Back