Riverside in 5.1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dunno, but my oppo does indicate a 44.1 khz sample rate.

There are not as many DVD or Blu-Ray discs that have sampling rates of either 44.1 or 88.2 because 48 and 96 are more suited for video-oriented content, but there certainly are DVD-A/V discs I have that have sampling rates of either 44.1 or 88.2

I don't think the DVD-A specification allows for sample rates other than multiples of 48kHz...

There are not as many DVD or Blu-Ray discs that have sampling rates of either 44.1 or 88.2 because 48 and 96 are more suited for video-oriented content, but there certainly are DVD-A/V discs I have that have sampling rates of either 44.1 or 88.2

Yes there are.
In fact I have two, Paul Simon's You're The One, which is 88.2kHz, and The Cactus of Knowledge by Rabih Abou-Khalil in 44.1kHz. Very good sonics on the latter, although I can't help but feel the sound would have been even better with a higher sample rate. The surround mix is in 5.0 but is really 4.0 Quad. :) I would encourage any member here to try it if you can find the DVD-A (it was very limited).

I don't think the DVD-A specification allows for sample rates other than multiples of 48kHz..
But you didn't bother to look it up?

The DVD-A specification was very complex. It is even possible to use different bit rates and bit depths for different channels (groups). Many channels layouts, most of which were never used.

Riverside-Love,Fear and the Time Machine.
Finally got my copy a few days ago and have let the album soak in with multiple listens.
What a beautiful album, great listen, wonderful songs that the lead singer has written for this release.
Song 8, "Towards the Blue Horizon" is downright spooky(prophetic) with what happened to the lead guitarist this year, end of song:

Where are you now my friend?
I miss those days
I hope they take good care
Of you there
And you can still play the guitar
And sing your songs

I just miss those days
And miss you so
Wish I could be strong
When darkness comes

Last edited:
Towards The Blue Horizon is spooky indeed, given the sudden death of Piotr. It was written for a friend Mariusz Duda lost a few years ago.

Rob, thanks for the explanation. Musically its a really pretty song.
Sure hope Riverside don't make this their only surround album.
I knew of Riverside but wrote them off as a Porcupine clone and didn't get any of their albums before this one and there are for sure similarities to the way Mariusz writes and the way SW writes songs.

peter

This is a good album with some really strong material, even though I'd say it's not their best effort ever. But all in all a very enjoyable album with lots of nice songs.

The surround mix is kind of a mixed bag to me. Overall I like what I'm hearing, with a nice and immersive experience, yet there are some parts where I can barely hear anything coming from the rear speakers and which sound like good old stereo, even though there's lots of stuff going on. Must be because of using stems instead of the full multitracks.

Sound quality is good, maybe a bit on the soft side. While I like the bass and guitars, drums are a bit too low in the mix and sometimes too buried, especially when the music starts to get busy. The snare lacks some punch, something that might be caused by the pretty soft drumming style of the drummer, yet something that could have been fixed in the mix. Again, using stems doesn't give you much of a choice, since I'm sure the drums were summed to one stereo track, so that you can't adjust individial channels anymore.

Recommended!

So, not surround related, but important news nonetheless. Just posted on their facebook concerning the bands' future https://www.facebook.com/Riversidep...299235382003/1350887328256515/?type=3&theater

Dear Friends,

We'd like to thank you again for your friendship and support throughout this most tragic time for us and we'd like to officially announce that we have made a decision about our future.

We have decided that we are not going to do a casting for a new guitarist. Thus we have ceased to be a quartet and have become a trio. In this line-up we will prepare our new studio album. Both in the recording studio and on tour - if we get back to touring - we will be playing with session guitarists, who are our friends, whom we know and like. But the line-up of Riverside will be as shown in the picture.

Yes, we do realise that this is not going to be the same band. We know that for many of you the story of Riverside ends here, this year, and that "Eye of the Soundscape" might be the last Riverside album you'll buy. We know that some of you can't imagine this band without the characteristic guitar of Piotr Grudziński and for you Riverside has ceased to exist. But our story is not over yet; with a flaw, with a scar, with a wealth of new experiences, we have decided to go on.

We know stories of many bands that have survived and have been successful, in spite of all. And we want to be the living proof that giving up is not an option and that we can be an inspiration for others, too. For as long as we can, we'll continue to do our best to create and meet with you wherever the emotions are running high. Grudzień will still be with us. We are definitely not going to forget him. He's a part of our lives. But in order for the memory of him to survive, we have to continue. And we want to. So we're embarking on another journey and we are thankful to everyone who will join us.

Our plans for the nearest future?
Next year we're going to start working on a new album. Marked by the circumstances, it will probably be a return to heavier and more intense sound. But before that, in February 2017, on the anniversary of Piotr's death, we'd like to play our first gig. A very special gig which will be an exceptional event. We'd like to play it with guests, with friends, for Piotr, for us. And for you. We'd like our music to be the hero of that day, we'd like to let it speak for itself. We'll give you more details about it in the coming weeks.

The river will never be the same again but it doesn't mean it has to stop flowing.

Best regards,
Mariusz Duda, Piotr Kozieradzki, Michał Łapaj

I'm glad to see them carry on. I think they still have a lot to offer. I'm guessing Mariusz will be taking over guitar duties on recordings. Based on his Lunatic Soul projects, he certainly seems capable, at least with rythym guitar. I do wonder how they'll approach guitar solos and leads on the new material, or if Mariusz has the chops (maybe a few guest musicians?). Piotr's guitar parts were never overtly complicated, but he did write some beautiful stuff, and was a HUGE part of their sound and appeal.

Can't see why they couldn't use a session/guest musician on the album/s either. Could end up being a bit like John Wesley's role with Porcupine Tree where not a band member but there to support.

Riverside just announced the name of their upcoming album, "Wasteland," aiming for release at the end of September. They've made no mention of release formats, or if 5.1 is even a consideration, but I've got my fingers crossed. Coincidentally, Bruce Soord recently commented that he'd completed the recording of the new TPT, and can now get back to mixing projects and his solo album.

Could the new Riverside be part of his mixing projects?? :cool:

Back