Riverside in 5.1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The amazon link says Hi-res stereo & DTS 5.1 but the track listings for the 2 discs doesn't fit, hopefully it'll get updated soon.

I was curious about that too... Those preliminary amazon listings often seem to have errant info. Hopefully any bonus material makes it to a 5.1 cut.

Outstanding! A great album. Although I find it eerie to listen to Toward the Blue Horizon now, with its lyrics about loss that seem prescient...

Absolutely, it's almost impossible to separate it, now. It's quite haunting and very sad, indeed. I'd imagine the bands feels the connection to that song, too...

Listening to the stereo version. Lots of possibilities for surround :) The Amazon UK is so far the only listing. No definite answer to formats I guess.

Absolutely. I'm listening to my vinyl copy right now. This kind of music is perfect for surround, and definitely plays to Bruce's strengths as a surround mixer. And I'm also hopeful that the mastering is treated similarly to the new Katatonia. As has been mentioned in previous posts, Riverside's albums could use a bit more headroom, and if the recent Katatonia release is any indication, I think that's what we're going to get!

Two of my favorite bands, TPT and Riverside, both getting surround releases this summer. I've waited for years for this! :) So awesome

The amazon link says Hi-res stereo & DTS 5.1 but the track listings for the 2 discs doesn't fit, hopefully it'll get updated soon.
previous issue on CD has two discs, one original album and second sort of bonus, named "Day Session", which contains 5 tracks.

Absolutely. I'm listening to my vinyl copy right now. This kind of music is perfect for surround, and definitely plays to Bruce's strengths as a surround mixer. And I'm also hopeful that the mastering is treated similarly to the new Katatonia. As has been mentioned in previous posts, Riverside's albums could use a bit more headroom, and if the recent Katatonia release is any indication, I think that's what we're going to get!

Two of my favorite bands, TPT and Riverside, both getting surround releases this summer. I've waited for years for this! :) So awesome
Same here, I think I haveTPT and Riverside in one of those wishlist threads on QQ. Great to see them both walking the surround path.

Bol.com has more info on the content, https://www.bol.com/nl/p/love-fear-and-the-time-machin/9200000058629975/

Good price as well, €17,99

Tracklist 1
1. Lost (Why Should I Be Frightened By A Hat?)
2. Under The Pillow
3. #Addicted
4. Caterpillar And The Barbed Wire
5. Saturate Me
6. Afloat
7. Discard Your Fear
8. Towards The Blue Horizon
9. Time Travellers
10. Found (The Unexpected Flaw Of Searching)
Tracklist 2
1. Lost (Why Should I Be Frightened By A Hat?)
2. Under The Pillow
3. #Addicted
4. Caterpillar And The Barbed Wire
5. Saturate Me
6. Afloat
7. Discard Your Fear
8. Towards The Blue Horizon
9. Time Travellers
10. Found (The Unexpected Flaw Of Searching)
11. Heavenland (Day Session)
12. Return (Day Session)
13. Aether (Day Session)
14. Machines (Day Session)
15. Promise (Day Session)
16. Love (Trailer)
17. Fear (Trailer)
18. Time Machine (Trailer)
19. Found (Video Clip)

You're wrong if you honestly think that engineers add lots of compression and limiting to a mix or master because they love it and are obsessed with those tools.
They are largely subservient to what the artist wants, so if the artist wants it really loud and limited, that's what they get, but that's because that's what they are getting paid to do, and you can only question and object to the client's wishes so much before you'll get dumped and they will hire somebody else that will do things the way they want them done.
If you don't like the way something's done, fine, but don't always point the finger at the one controlling the knobs, cause behind that, there's someone who's paying them to have their vision implemented, and they are the ones who really have the control.
perhaps but not always the case.
listen for example to latest Katatonia.
stereo, albeit lossless, but sq destroyed by limiter and compression.
DTS sux by default but even so, when not true fidelity of sound were delivered, its still retain great dynamic and smoothness of the sound.
and that all on single title/disc.

Pretty good price for us but I opted for importcds and the 10% of sale as for most part importcds has been good to me and my last couple of orders with amazon.ca had major delays so didn't matter if I had ordered from us or uk site.
I am just glad we are having a great price and I think its going to be a good listen from all reports and a dvda,awesome, will be able to play in the car, can't wait.

Some new pics of the artwork and packaging showed up on Amazon.(y)

riverside1.jpg
riverside2.jpg

Something that strike me as odd about this release (and also, disconcerting, at least in the sense of possible future 5.1 releases from InsideOut), is the complete lack of support/marketing/advertisement from the label themselves. No pre-order available through the insideout shop on burningshed, nor InsideOut's official US or German shops, and, after a quick glance, I find no mention of it on InsideOut's facebook page. What's the deal? :confused: InsideOut's silence on this release just seems like odd treatment for one of their more successful artists, and, an album that I assume has been a decent seller for them. The release date is coming up in just over a month. Why no push from the label??

Both Riverside and InsideOut have released full details on this set:

http://www.insideoutmusic.com/newsdetailed.aspx?IdNews=17099&IdCompany=8

Disc 2 / DVD-AV (96:35):

"Love, Fear and the Time Machine" Album:
1. Lost (Why Should I Be Frightened By a Hat?) (05:51)
2. Under the Pillow (06:47)
3. #Addicted (04:52)
4. Caterpillar and the Barbed Wire (06:56)
5. Saturate Me (07:08)
6. Afloat (03:11)
7. Discard Your Fear (06:42)
8. Towards the Blue Horizon (08:09)
9. Time Travellers (06:41)
10. Found (The Unexpected Flaw of Searching) (04:03)

"Day Session":
1. Heavenland (04:59)
2. Return (06:49)
3. Aether (08:43)
4. Machines (03:53)
5. Promise (02:43)

"Video Clips":
1. Love (Trailer) (01:38)
2. Fear (Trailer) (01:58)
3. Time Machine (Trailer) (01:07)
4. Found (Video Clip) (04:06)

The bonus DVD is a hybrid disc (DVD-AV), which has a DVD-Audio and a DVD-Video session on the same disc.

The DVD-A portion (audio only!) contains the main album and "Day Session" as high resolution 24bit lossless stereo versions as well as the main album as MLP lossless 24bit 5.1 surround version.
The DVD-V portion contains the main album and the "Day Session" as high resolution 24bit lossless stereo versions as well as the main album as high resolution 24bit DTS 5.1 surround version and 4 videos (The 3 album teasers and the promotional video clip for "Found").

RIVERSIDE commented as follows about the upcoming release:
"We had never been in favour of releasing our albums in 5.1 until we recorded LFTM. It's our best sounding release and we thought it would be an interesting experience to hear it in a new version. And so the thoughts have materialised, Bruce Soord has done a brilliant job and I'm fairly sure you're going to like the new sound of LFTM".

I love how they took the time to explain that this is a DVD-A/V release compatible with all DVD players. I'm definitely gonna get this release for sure! :)

RIVERSIDE commented as follows about the upcoming release:
"We had never been in favour of releasing our albums in 5.1 until we recorded LFTM. It's our best sounding release and we thought it would be an interesting experience to hear it in a new version. And so the thoughts have materialised, Bruce Soord has done a brilliant job and I'm fairly sure you're going to like the new sound of LFTM".

Not exactly the most promising comment from the band in terms of possible 5.1 releases for the earlier albums. :( Hopefully this one is a success and they change their mind. And keep them coming :) (y)

amazon.ca price up compared to one, i've placed order but not much. usually sometimes being the consumer of amazon.ca,
one starts to wonder if this retailer operates in alternate reality.
as for guys from Riverside, i agree, its sad to hear such statement but nothing we can do about. such a life. i guess 90% of artists
(and not only in pop genres) can't distinguish 96kbps mp3 from a lossless PCM. let's hope those guys not yet fall into oblivion of
snobbism and at least will try to meet requests of their fanbase.

Back