Riverside in 5.1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine just showed up! :banana::banana:

I'm curious about this whole "stems" thing. Anybody care to explain what it means?

Anyway, I'm going to check out a couple tracks before I head into work, then I'll post some initial thoughts :)

Stems are already combined groups of recorded tracks. Say you have 3 takes of a guitar part on your digital "multitracks", you pre-mix them in one file. That's a stem.
It's useful for keeping the character of a mix when remixing for surround for example. With digital recording you tend to have an unwieldy number of takes, combining them to more manageable stems is useful for the final mix.

You are the expert Thomas so hopefully you are right. But Bruce had to work with stems on the Terrasact album and that did not turn out great. I have not heard the Riveside one yet, therefore cannot comment on the actual mix.Lets hope it turns ut better than the Terrasact one.

Well I managed to have a first pass listen, couldn't be too loud (sadly!) as the doors & windows onto the patio were open to help cool the room down (unusual for the UK!).

Anyway, the surround mix is immersive, and in keeping with the album (hence why maybe the stems?), it sounds good (though I think it could do with being 'clearer' but I'll have to wait until I can turn the volume up to see), and its an album I love anyway so it'll be on heavy rotation. So a :upthumb

I'm going to miss Piotr Grudzinski's fanatastic guitar playing.

You are the expert Thomas so hopefully you are right. But Bruce had to work with stems on the Terrasact album and that did not turn out great. I have not heard the Riveside one yet, therefore cannot comment on the actual mix.Lets hope it turns ut better than the Terrasact one.

Lol! I'm getting a kick out of the "Terrasact", Robert. Over here in the states we call them Tesseract :)

But yes, the Tesseract mix was lacking. And although I didn't know what "stems" meant, the first thing I thought of was the polaris mix.

Anyway, after a brief listen to a couple tracks (loudly :D), duncan pretty much sums up my initial observations. Immersive and discreet, certainly more so than polaris.

However, it does appear to be a bit more compressed than Fall of Hearts, unfortunately. Maybe the compression was on the stems themselves and completely out of Bruce's control?

However, it does appear to be a bit more compressed than Fall of Hearts, unfortunately. Maybe the compression was on the stems themselves and completely out of Bruce's control?

Could well be (even if they shouldn't). Or it was compressed at mastering.

But yes, the Tesseract mix was lacking. And although I didn't know what "stems" meant, the first thing I thought of was the polaris mix.

Anyway, after a brief listen to a couple tracks (loudly :D), duncan pretty much sums up my initial observations. Immersive and discreet, certainly more so than polaris.

The Riverside disc is okay, not that compressed. Yes it is louder than Fall of Hearts but nowhere near Tesseract and sounds pleasant. Decent dynamics.

The music however.........Not my cup of tea. Too soft and like snowpatrol. Sounds nice though.

The Riverside disc is okay, not that compressed. Yes it is louder than Fall of Hearts but nowhere near Tesseract and sounds pleasant. Decent dynamics.

The music however.........Not my cup of tea. Too soft and like snowpatrol. Sounds nice though.

Keenly, your report makes me happy as I know you hate compressed stuff and you saying, "not that compressed", thats a plus for me already.
HAHA "Too soft and like snowpatrol" also a plus for me as I like Snow Patrol.
I sampled the album and I liked that softer,mediative groove that this one seems to have, so I don't think that will throw me off when I get my copy.

Keenly, your report makes me happy as I know you hate compressed stuff and you saying, "not that compressed", thats a plus for me already.
HAHA "Too soft and like snowpatrol" also a plus for me as I like Snow Patrol.
I sampled the album and I liked that softer,mediative groove that this one seems to have, so I don't think that will throw me off when I get my copy.

Fair enough mate. I would say Riverside are a more advanced Snow Patrol. I was expecting riff based rock. This is not the case.

Nor harshness in the mix, nice thick bass, rears pretty quiet in places, more of a rears 'supporting' fronts mix. I am sure many on here will like it.

Riverside have softened their sound over the years. Perhaps because Duda is writing all the songs now, with influence form his Lunatic Soul outfit.

Yup, their earlier output has some definite rocking, and "metal" riffage. Though I'd never classify them as a "metal" band. Even some screaming on the first two albums, though very brief, and only on a couple songs.

Their new album is probably their most laid-back, sort of ambient and atmospheric sounding.

Just got this in today, and I'm listening now.
Not sure how I feel yet about the surround mix or fidelity, but the material is just superb!
This one will probably get a '9' or '8', but I have to listen to it more to know for sure.
:)

Just got this in today, and I'm listening now.
Not sure how I feel yet about the surround mix or fidelity, but the material is just superb!
This one will probably get a '9' or '8', but I have to listen to it more to know for sure.
:)

Got mine too, but my son is here..so we're outside streaming jams and grilling ribeyes. Probably listen tomorrow. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back