Laura Nyro - Eli And The Thirteenth Confession - Audio Fidelity 4.0 SACD (June 2016)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back in the late 70s, me and friends used to while away the hours listening to roommates quad 8-tracks, playing crazy 8's, drinking Ale-8-1 and smoking...great times :)

Back in the late 70s, me and friends used to while away the hours listening to roommates quad 8-tracks, playing crazy 8's, drinking Ale-8-1 and smoking...great times :)

You certainly are joining the forum at a great time for quad music...with the recent Chicago box set and quad releases this year by Audio Fidelity...quad has made a comeback(y)

THE Voice
004.jpg
005.jpg

As I pointed out in another thread, I just got my copy today. But I noticed this is neither version of the Quad mixes that have appeared on the Robin Reels. This is a third, previously unknown Quad mix. This mix has Don Young written all over it. It's painfully similar to the Sly Stone/Greatest Hits mix. Drums in Back Right, Bass in Back Left. Other instruments in the front corners with the only thing taking up the front-center stage is vocals. Nothing appears in back-center unlike other Laura Nyro mixes which, obviously, makes sense if this was considered for an SQ-disc release. So, like I say, this is either a third, previously unknown mix, or this was prepared for an SQ-disc and dropped at the 11th hour. Why else would they mix it three times? Seems like a huge waste of time and tape if you ask me.

Another idea popped into my head. I really wish somebody who was there at the time could answer this as this is complete speculation on my part. Do you suppose, when they did a Quad mix, the shirts gave the assignment to a couple remix engineers then they picked the best mix? Seems like a huge waste of time but at the dawn of the Quad era, maybe that's how they did it? That would explain why we've seen multiple mixes of the same album.

Just thinkin' out loud.....

Last edited:
As I pointed out in another thread, I just got my copy today. But I noticed this is neither version of the Quad mixes that have appeared on the Robin Reels. This is a third, previously unknown Quad mix. This mix has Don Young written all over it. It's painfully similar to the Sly Stone/Greatest Hits mix. Drums in Back Right, Bass in Back Left. Other instruments in the front corners with the only thing taking up the front-center stage is vocals. Nothing appears in back-center like other Laura Nyro mixes which, obviously, makes sense if this was considered for an SQ-disc release. So, like I say, this is either a third, previously unknown mix, or this was prepared for an SQ-disc and dropped at the 11th hour. Why else would they mix it three times? Seems like a huge waste of time and tape if you ask me.

Another idea popped into my head. I really wish somebody who was there at the time could answer this as this is complete speculation on my part. Do you suppose, when they did a Quad mix, the shirts gave the assignment to a couple remix engineers then they picked the best mix? Seems like a huge waste of time but at the dawn of the Quad era, maybe that's how they did it? That would explain why we've seen multiple mixes of the same album.

Just thinkin' out loud.....

Are the differences between the three mixes that big? Do they alter the listening experience much?

What I get from your wording is that you're not delighted with this third mix. Maybe I'm wrong.

Back