The Enid in 5.1 - "The Bridge" 5.1 FLAC download available now

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil Palfreyman

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
About a week ago I was contacted by an old friend of mine, Max Read, who's the engineer at The Lodge studio and also a key member of the band "The Enid" and asked if I would like to play test a track off of "The Bridge" album which he was remixing in 5.1.

I jumped at the chance and this is the end result:

https://www.theenid.co.uk/shop/24-96-hd-5-1-surround/the-bridge-2496-5-1-surround-sound-detail.html?showall=1

"The Bridge" available in it's entirety in 24/96 multi-channel flac. It's a fully discrete, immensely powerful surround mix that also has huge dynamic range. Max is extremely proud of it and rightly so!

I knew The Enid were thinking of releasing some of their back catalogue in 5.1 years ago but, to be honest, I thought the project had been shelved so to get to help with this and see it come out sounding so incredible in such a short space of time is quite astonishing.

For those that don't know of The Enid they are a quite unique band, formed way back in 1974 with some seventeen studio albums to their name. Their music was a mostly instrumental hybrid of Prog and Classical but more recent releases, including "The Bridge" have the immensely powerful vocals of Joe Payne (voted Prog Rock "best vocalist" for two years running) who's like a blend of Matt Bellamy and Freddie Mercury with some opera thrown in for good measure (I kid you not.)

Their music is huge, powerful, bombastic, emotional and dynamic. Perfect for 5.1! :banana:

I remember seeing them at a Swansea University gig, must have been 1976. Quite unique as you say, but very enjoyable to hear and watch. Unfortunately the gig was cut short due to a power cut!

Thanks Neil! I made the purchase and have just finished my first listen. The material is intriguing, musically mature & ambitious. I dig it. Excellent surround mix as well.

I see on the download it says you can also do a DVDA ISO, now how cool is that as that is what we have been waiting and wanting from sites to do for us.
Can't wait to get home and download this one.

peter

Have their early albums, good band. Not able to play flac in surround though :/

Downloading now whilst on laptop, should be able to hear shortly.

Just listened to some stereo samples of this album and the sound quality is very good, I can imagine that this is a stunning surround-mix. Sorry to say that the music just isn't my thing, wish it was :(

I remember seeing them at a Swansea University gig, must have been 1976. Quite unique as you say, but very enjoyable to hear and watch. Unfortunately the gig was cut short due to a power cut!

I first saw them in 1983 on the tour supporting "Something Wicked This Way Comes" which was their first album with any vocals and was instantly mesmerised. I've followed them off and on since and did quite a lot of photography for them when they re-formed a few years back, hence the contact.

They aren't everyone's "cup of tea" and, to be honest, I think some people find the idea of "Orchestral Prog" quite hard to get their heads around, but once they "click" they are amazing and quite unbelievable live in the current incarnation.

It's a style that's just made for surround, though and I think most regulars on QQ are open minded and eclectic enough in their tastes to give it a try without being phased by it in which case they'll be rewarded with a massive, immersive, dynamic ride, even though they may wonder what the hell is going on!

If you like the music you could convert the flacs to dts or whatever format you can play :couch

That's a thought. I have no computer connected to my receiver, perhaps putting DTS files on a USB stick might do it.

I see on the download it says you can also do a DVDA ISO, now how cool is that as that is what we have been waiting and wanting from sites to do for us.
Can't wait to get home and download this one.

peter

So, generally with FLAC 5.1, I just create an AVCHD disc using a combination of audiomuxer and imgburn. I'm assuming that by downloading the DVDA ISO I could completely bypass audiomuxer and just burn the DVDA ISO straight to a disc, correct?

Thank You Neil will probably pick it up some time this weekend and giver her a go. :banana:

Sounds interesting on the You Tube stuff i found.........will see how my pocketbook is this week lol

This is one band I never was able to get into but in 5.1 worth another try..:)

The price is right and this is how every 5.1 release should happen.. The DVD-A ISO should include the album in DTS in the dvd video section so that everyone can play it.

Cuts the cost of a 5.1 release to very affordable for any band, and the artist keeps the revenues! So artists - No more excuses..

I am listening to this right now

Back