The Enid in 5.1 - "The Bridge" 5.1 FLAC download available now

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got the Enid's "In The Region Of The Summer Stars" back in 1976 after hearing it on Nicky Horne's Capital Radio show ' Your Mother Wouldn't Like It', I'd love that in 5.1! I saw The Enid about a year ago, really good live, different 'sound' from the original band, and I was about to get The Bridge so this is a really good and timely release :banana:

I couldn't hear any compression at all during play testing (and told Max how impressed I was with that) - the dynamic range (by ear) on my system was colossal.

I haven't had any sight of the DVD .iso so I have no idea what's format(s) are on there, I'm afraid.

I couldn't hear any compression at all during play testing (and told Max how impressed I was with that) - the dynamic range (by ear) on my system was colossal.

I haven't had any sight of the DVD .iso so I have no idea what's format(s) are on there, I'm afraid.

I couldn't hear any either....In this case, the 12 is deceiving....seems to me the DR would have been higher based on what I hear. :)

I saw them live back in the 80s, I remember the Guitarist bouncing around like a spring lamb, never seen anything like it.

So, I've purchased (it's super cheap guys) and already got it downloaded and listening with Foobar2000. This will NOT be for everyone, but what the heck....there are a LOT of influences here....
Moody Blues, classical, some church type sounds IMO, as Neil said....vocals tap into some Freddy Mercury upon occasion.....maybe even Andrea Bocelli I think. It's pretty solitude, quiet moments, building to louder moments. Sometimes it has a whimsical "musical" feel to it....

If you took the vocals out, it could even pass for background music in a movie.....I could see jieff appreciating this....

I'm happy to have this in my arsenal......it's surround man! And, it's very different....I Like it.....but I'm not gonna tell everyone to go get it...cause I suspect it won't be to everyone's liking. Personally, I dig it.....I have nothing like it. That's for sure.....

Order processed and downloaded in a jiffy! This is a model transaction for 5.1 downloads. Much thanks to Neil for the heads up. Certainly an out of the blue experience. A first listen indicates that a much more careful second, third & fourth listen is in order.

So, I've purchased (it's super cheap guys) and already got it downloaded and listening with Foobar2000. This will NOT be for everyone, but what the heck....there are a LOT of influences here....
Moody Blues, classical, some church type sounds IMO, as Neil said....vocals tap into some Freddy Mercury upon occasion.....maybe even Andrea Bocelli I think. It's pretty solitude, quiet moments, building to louder moments. Sometimes it has a whimsical "musical" feel to it....

If you took the vocals out, it could even pass for background music in a movie.....I could see jieff appreciating this....

I'm happy to have this in my arsenal......it's surround man! And, it's very different....I Like it.....but I'm not gonna tell everyone to go get it...cause I suspect it won't be to everyone's liking. Personally, I dig it.....I have nothing like it. That's for sure.....

Thanks GOS, I'll jump on the boat too, then.. :banana:

I tried listening to the samples earlier today, but Spotify kept asking me to register, so I just gave up.. (I had to go back to a busy day)

gimme.. gimme..

That's a pretty good summary of The Enid right there, but that's part of the fun of collecting surround for me; listening to stuff that's a bit "out there" and pushing the comfort zone because the surround is such good quality. I would never have listened to Burning Lips, Tomita, Ladysmith Black Mambazo etc if it wasn't for surround! :)

...and this point can actually be turned on it's head and used as a pitch to sell surround to bands and labels; they get excited when you tell them that there's a whole community of surround fans who aren't limited by genre in the way most music fans are and will listen to almost anything as long as the surround and fidelity is good. Win-win. :)

Order processed and downloaded in a jiffy! This is a model transaction for 5.1 downloads. Much thanks to Neil for the heads up. Certainly an out of the blue experience. A first listen indicates that a much more careful second, third & fourth listen is in order.

I'm really excited by this venture by The Enid. If it's seen as a successful model for them to get parts of their catalog to market in 5.1 I'm pretty sure there are several other independents or small labels that may look to use a similar method.

Saw them first in 1976, went off the boil late 80's early 90's but I am back in the fold, will see them in London in April....the early albums are some of my all time favourites.

I first saw them in 1983 on the tour supporting "Something Wicked This Way Comes" which was their first album with any vocals and was instantly mesmerised.

The one and only time that I saw them was in November 1983, at London Dominion Theatre, when they were supported by both Pendragon and IQ. I don't remember anything of the gig!

The one and only time that I saw them was in November 1983, at London Dominion Theatre, when they were supported by both Pendragon and IQ. I don't remember anything of the gig!

Pendragon and IQ - two bands that would sound great in 5.1 - like Porcupine Tree, they would pick up a legion of new fans if they released their albums in surround..

Very very excited about this have been a fan since 1976 when I also purchased in the region of the summer stars. That album has always been on my surround wish list. Thanks for the heads up on this one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll be purchasing the download tomorrow when I get back home. For those who have never heard them I think that the best way to describe The Enid's music is as Classical/Symphonic Rock. Their founder Robert John Godfrey was an early collaborator with Barclay James Harvest, can't remember which albums, but I think he did the orchestration on them.

Back