The Enid in 5.1 - "The Bridge" 5.1 FLAC download available now

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've both versions of "In The Region..." on CD, and the original recording on good old vinyl from 1976, scary that it was 40 years ago!

FANTASTIC! Another dream comes true! I made mention of the same thing in the comments field when I placed the order for the bridge. I did specify original version or why not both!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I asked via the web site,

"Neil Palfreyman over on the QQ Forum alerted us to this, so us 5.1 fans should be buying this. Will we be getting more of the Enid in hi-res 5.1 FLAC? It would be great to hear the album "In The Region Of The Summer Stars" in 5.1, an album I bought back in '76! Is it likely? Cheers Duncan "

I've just had a reply,

"Hi Duncan,

Yes, the plan is to release the Journey's End trilogy in surround, starting with Dust in a month's time. We also have plans for the 40th anniversary of In The Region, so keep an eye on the website or join our mailing list to be kept in the picture.

Kind Regards,

Max Read

Enid old text logo 240x240"

Superb! I knew about the "Journey's End" trilogy, but didn't mention it specifically as I'm always careful to let bands and labels disclose any info before I relay it, but ITRSS has to be the 5.1 Holy Grail for fans of The Enid and this is news to me. :)

Perhaps you can persuade Max Read/The Enid? I suggested that he/The Enid should join QQ in the Industry Corner. If the band know they have a 'market' for 5.1 they might do lots more?

Having listened to the 5.1 FLAC today, The Bridge is incredibly well recorded, and the mix suits the orchestral feel of the album.

Superb! I knew about the "Journey's End" trilogy, but didn't mention it specifically as I'm always careful to let bands and labels disclose any info before I relay it, but ITRSS has to be the 5.1 Holy Grail for fans of The Enid and this is news to me. :)

Perhaps you can persuade Max Read/The Enid? I suggested that he/The Enid should join QQ in the Industry Corner. If the band know they have a 'market' for 5.1 they might do lots more?

Having listened to the 5.1 FLAC today, The Bridge is incredibly well recorded, and the mix suits the orchestral feel of the album.

I will. He's a very, very talented and hard working guy. His recording and stereo mixes are always superb and it's hard to believe that "the Bridge" is his first studio 5.1 (AFAIK) The first mix I got was easily as good as a lot of "finished" surround I have heard. I gave him a few rather hefty "hints" about how to de-clutter the mix and get the most out of all the channels, but he took it all on board at face value and the third iteration I got back for testing just blew me away. Incredible. I have very high hopes for what may come next. :)

Excellent! I saw The Enid at The Giants Of Rock in Minehead in 2015 and they are as good live as on album, all very talented musicians.

Its interesting that bands in general see the artistic potential in surround way more than record companies (with notable exceptions!) who only see cost. It seems that it is the bands that have to push for it, yet the re-issue campaigns with 4.0/5.1 mixes are obviously doing well.

I will. He's a very, very talented and hard working guy. His recording and stereo mixes are always superb and it's hard to believe that "the Bridge" is his first studio 5.1 (AFAIK) The first mix I got was easily as good as a lot of "finished" surround I have heard. I gave him a few rather hefty "hints" about how to de-clutter the mix and get the most out of all the channels, but he took it all on board at face value and the third iteration I got back for testing just blew me away. Incredible. I have very high hopes for what may come next. :)

Its interesting that bands in general see the artistic potential in surround way more than record companies (with notable exceptions!) who only see cost. It seems that it is the bands that have to push for it, yet the re-issue campaigns with 4.0/5.1 mixes are obviously doing well.

I think anyone who's faced the challenge of mixing complex material down into two channels appreciates how much more scope they have to get their "vision" across in 5.1 An artist will typically live, eat and breath every nuance of every detail of their creation in a 32 or 64 track recording only to hear a shadow or veneer of what's in their heads make it to fore of the final stereo mix. Record companies, on the other hand, typically, don't give a fuck about any of this. ;)

I've both versions of "In The Region..." on CD, and the original recording on good old vinyl from 1976, scary that it was 40 years ago!

I could never ever find the original version on compact disc. Even if the artwork was correct it was the re-recorded version. Please let me know what label and catalogue number that is thank you.

I could never ever find the original version on compact disc. Even if the artwork was correct it was the re-recorded version. Please let me know what label and catalogue number that is thank you.

The one I believe to be the original on CD (I haven't listened to the vinyl in years) was released in 2010/11 by The Enid on Operation Seraphim as EWCD16, Bar Code 5099990940828, with the original artwork (TOP). The LOWER one which is a definitely re-recording with very different artwork was released as ENID CD7.

CCF27016_0000 (560x1024).jpg

OK Snood just took the plunge also - downloading both as me type now. :banana:

Still have Ji effs stuff and also Edisonbaggins tunes to listen tooooo..........so not sure when can chime in

Thank You Neil :snoodhug:

Hoping the band is pleasantly surprised by the interest.......please let us know

OK Snood just took the plunge also - downloading both as me type now. :banana:

Still have Ji effs stuff and also Edisonbaggins tunes to listen tooooo..........so not sure when can chime in

Thank You Neil :snoodhug:

Hoping the band is pleasantly surprised by the interest.......please let us know

I hope so too and will certainly feed back anything I hear. Let us know what you think of the album too, Snood. I'm expecting that it's quite different to anything you may already have in surround, so it may need a few more plays than usual in order to "click."

The one I believe to be the original on CD (I haven't listened to the vinyl in years) was released in 2010/11 by The Enid on Operation Seraphim as EWCD16, Bar Code 5099990940828, with the original artwork (TOP). The LOWER one which is a definitely re-recording with very different artwork was released as ENID CD7.

View attachment 25367

The top one is the "remaster" of the original recording that they finally got back from EMI (?) in 2010. I have the same audio as a 24/96 FLAC download https://www.theenid.co.uk/shop/download/in-the-region-1976-hd-audio-2496-detail.html

Around that time they were having big issues with a former manager who was also selling inferior CD copies in competition with the band under the label "Inner Sanctum" (aka "Inner Scrotum") It may well be that the lower disc is one of those copies, though I seem to remember that those had a blue label?

The top one is the "remaster" of the original recording that they finally got back from EMI (?) in 2010. I have the same audio as a 24/96 FLAC download https://www.theenid.co.uk/shop/download/in-the-region-1976-hd-audio-2496-detail.html

Around that time they were having big issues with a former manager who was also selling inferior CD copies in competition with the band under the label "Inner Sanctum" (aka "Inner Scrotum") It may well be that the lower disc is one of those copies, though I seem to remember that those had a blue label?

I'm not sure when I bought the re-recording but it was early to mid-90s I think, and I got it via mail order from somewhere as it was pre-internet. It look like it was a proper Enid release as it seems to have been released via The Stand.

CCF28016_0000 (1024x499).jpg

I'm not sure when I bought the re-recording but it was early to mid-90s I think, and I got it via mail order from somewhere as it was pre-internet. It look like it was a proper Enid release as it seems to have been released via The Stand.

View attachment 25372

That's much earlier than the "issues" I mentioned, which were all post-Stand, but came to a head around 2009. Out of interest what was the Stand is now known as The Enidi. Same idea.

Thanks for The information above. The last one I purchased is a cardboard replica sleeve with a Japanese OBI strip. IECP-10073 this is where I gave up trying to find the original version on compact disc.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456775189.088015.jpg

£10.00 seems not bad but unfortunately it doubles, after currency exchange.
since this one available only in digital DL version, i hope the band will have it on their virtual shelf for time, long enough for CAN$ to get better times.

I was listening to 'One Man And His Prog' last night (midnight until 1am, no wonder it was difficult getting up for work!) on the UK radio station Planet Rock, and the DJ Darren Reddick played a really good track from the forthcoming Enid album "Dust", and he said his guest next week will be Robert John Godfrey of The Enid, so should be worth a listen to see what he says, you never know maybe the 5.1 releases will be mentioned.

http://www.planetrock.com/on-air/

I was listening to 'One Man And His Prog' last night (midnight until 1am, no wonder it was difficult getting up for work!) on the UK radio station Planet Rock, and the DJ Darren Reddick played a really good track from the forthcoming Enid album "Dust", and he said his guest next week will be Robert John Godfrey of The Enid, so should be worth a listen to see what he says, you never know maybe the 5.1 releases will be mentioned.

http://www.planetrock.com/on-air/

I've just been reading an article on another site, where Robert John Godfrey was talking about his forthcoming retirement from live performance. There was no mention of 5.1, but he did take a swipe at Steven Wilson for some reason in the following:

“The thing that pisses me off so much about the prog scene is that it is all about muso rock. It’s all about people like Steven Wilson who possess all the talent and all the production genius – and has made a great name for himself – but who offer absolutely no content that is memorable or meaningful. Musos were always a problem – but it wasn’t a big problem because they were always overshadowed by the truly creative, truly progressive bands of their day. Bands like Yes, Genesis and Procol Harum or the R’n’B side which started with Jack Bruce and Cream. And there was the pop side, with Pet Sounds and Brian Wilson and the Beatles.”

I would respectfully strongly disagree with his comments about Steven Wilson!

I've just been reading an article on another site, where Robert John Godfrey was talking about his forthcoming retirement from live performance. There was no mention of 5.1, but he did take a swipe at Steven Wilson for some reason in the following:

“The thing that pisses me off so much about the prog scene is that it is all about muso rock. It’s all about people like Steven Wilson who possess all the talent and all the production genius – and has made a great name for himself – but who offer absolutely no content that is memorable or meaningful. Musos were always a problem – but it wasn’t a big problem because they were always overshadowed by the truly creative, truly progressive bands of their day. Bands like Yes, Genesis and Procol Harum or the R’n’B side which started with Jack Bruce and Cream. And there was the pop side, with Pet Sounds and Brian Wilson and the Beatles.”

I would respectfully strongly disagree with his comments about Steven Wilson!

I agree entirely. RJG has always had an immense chip on his shoulder, verging on "holier-than-thou" snobbery - but it's part of what makes him what he is and I think most fans of The Enid realise that it's part of the "overall package." He probably wouldn't be the creative genius that he is without it!

I agree entirely. RJG has always had an immense chip on his shoulder, verging on "holier-than-thou" snobbery - but it's part of what makes him what he is and I think most fans of The Enid realise that it's part of the "overall package." He probably wouldn't be the creative genius that he is without it!

I've always found artists that single out other artists for derision do more damage to themselves than to their targets. In this case I would also say that Steven Wilson is the wrong target as his latest album and much of his previous work is showing how prog really can progress again...
However in RJG's case I guess he and The Enid have suffered more derision than most from the sneering punk elite that despised everything they stood for!

Back