The Enid in 5.1 - "The Bridge" 5.1 FLAC download available now

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...just had a newsletter from Max drop into my inbox, which is wholly dedicated to The Enid and 5.1. It states (amongst other things) "I plan to release the Journey's End trilogy in surround, starting with Dust next month." which is excellent news. :)

I've just been reading an article on another site, where Robert John Godfrey was talking about his forthcoming retirement from live performance. There was no mention of 5.1, but he did take a swipe at Steven Wilson for some reason in the following:
i guess some people cannot keeps their envies just to themselves.
that's true Procol Harum, Genesis, King Crimson, ELP, Yes are brightest and well known prog band from
the past but c'mon, prog rock got it's name because progression ever evolving music and not a copycats
of past success.
SW simply got his vision in which direction to move. as well as it did and many others modern prog rock
bands - Opeth, Dream Theater, Tool, Mars Volta, Riverside... to name just few. i won't go into his contribution
of help to others new artists/bands and contribution in revival of past nearly forgotten acts through introducing
their works in new, fresh perspective. i wish back in 2000 there in industry was several persons,
(artists/engineers/executives) with Steven Wilson's consistency and dedication, we'd be seen today music
scene perhaps much different.

I've just been reading an article on another site, where Robert John Godfrey was talking about his forthcoming retirement from live performance. There was no mention of 5.1, but he did take a swipe at Steven Wilson for some reason in the following:

“The thing that pisses me off so much about the prog scene is that it is all about muso rock. It’s all about people like Steven Wilson who possess all the talent and all the production genius – and has made a great name for himself – but who offer absolutely no content that is memorable or meaningful. Musos were always a problem – but it wasn’t a big problem because they were always overshadowed by the truly creative, truly progressive bands of their day. Bands like Yes, Genesis and Procol Harum or the R’n’B side which started with Jack Bruce and Cream. And there was the pop side, with Pet Sounds and Brian Wilson and the Beatles.”

I would respectfully strongly disagree with his comments about Steven Wilson!

I disagree where SW is concerned was well. Looking at his list of reference bands, prog must have died about 30 years ago, and there's no denying those were great bands. Maybe he is bitter about something.

An unfortunate remark, the less said about it the better. "Serious" composers tend to feel under appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well Snood finally got around to listening to this...........Snood gotta admit - it way out of me realm of usual listens for sure.

Very different and was hoping for more guitar.......

But for some reason........it kept me sitting through the disc.

Starting feeling a bit relaxed for some odd reason come around late track 5, and kind of started getting into it about track 6 on.........

take it, their way earlier stuff is different? If so, might try Enid again.........not sure Snood is gonna be in to the current stuff tho.

The Surround was nice for sure :cool:

Won't get many sit down spins, but maybe an occasional in the other room spin......Definitely different :banana:

Thank you Neil :snoodhug:

Well Snood finally got around to listening to this...........Snood gotta admit - it way out of me realm of usual listens for sure.

Very different and was hoping for more guitar.......

But for some reason........it kept me sitting through the disc.

Starting feeling a bit relaxed for some odd reason come around late track 5, and kind of started getting into it about track 6 on.........

take it, their way earlier stuff is different? If so, might try Enid again.........not sure Snood is gonna be in to the current stuff tho.

The Surround was nice for sure :cool:

Won't get many sit down spins, but maybe an occasional in the other room spin......Definitely different :banana:

Thank you Neil :snoodhug:

You're very welcome, Snood. :)

I'm pleased you got some enjoyment out of it; it is very different! Even being a fan of their music it took me two or three listens during play testing to "get" this one, but once I did the power of the mix just blew my mind.

You're right about the guitar - I noticed that too; it is less prevalent than on just about any of their earlier material, though even when there's plenty of it is usually only as a lead instrument in the "soaring guitar with orchestral backing" stylee. ;)

Timbre4 is right - In The Region of the Summer Stars is great for the guitar work. It's 40 years old this year and there are rumours of a possible surround mix... I guess it depends on how well the material n the current "trilogy" sells.

This is well worth a watch. It's hot off the press, having only been released today, and features one of the songs off of the next album by The Enid to be released in 5.1. Gives a great idea of what the newer band sound is all about.

[video=youtube;o3sktYQEmmA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3sktYQEmmA&list=PLfL7prON6nZ2Aau58bkDtAUE8WAasfnYf&index=23[/video]

Did they jack the price? £10.00 is hardly "super-cheap" for a download. At that price the material would have to pass the YouTube.0 audition in SPADES.

It's a a realistic price for a superb mix of an astonishing album. How are niche artists expected to survive on less? 5.1 dosn't mix itself... I don't understand the rest of what you wrote, whats a YouTube.0 audition?

It's a a realistic price for a superb mix of an astonishing album. How are niche artists expected to survive on less? 5.1 dosn't mix itself...

I know 5.1 doesn't mix itself better than just about anybody here. It is not a realistic price, for me... I'm glad you're good with it.
I'm yet to be astonished by what I've heard from them. It's... ok.

I just had notification from Max at "The Enid" HQ that the 5.1 mixes are back up in the web shop:

https://www.theenid.co.uk/shop/audio/back-catalogue/5-1-surround-download

as well as FLAC there's also an option to download an ISO for DVD-A and ISO DVD-V.

For those who don't know The Enid's music is a most unique blend of Classical and contemporary instrumentation. Huge, dynamic, complicated arrangements with plenty of layers and textures that are just perfect for surround. These two albums a feature the vocals of Joe Payne, who's very operatic in places and sounds not unlike Freddie Mercury (I kid you not.) So if you like your surround to be dynamic, discrete, complex and somewhat eclectic then these are just perfect.

That's funny I asked them a few days ago if anything else was going to be mixed into surround (especially "In The Region Of Summer Stars"), as I was interested and I expected quite a few others were even if they were only available as FLACs!

I just had notification from Max at "The Enid" HQ that the 5.1 mixes are back up in the web shop:

https://www.theenid.co.uk/shop/audio/back-catalogue/5-1-surround-download

as well as FLAC there's also an option to download an ISO for DVD-A and ISO DVD-V.

For those who don't know The Enid's music is a most unique blend of Classical and contemporary instrumentation. Huge, dynamic, complicated arrangements with plenty of layers and textures that are just perfect for surround. These two albums a feature the vocals of Joe Payne, who's very operatic in places and sounds not unlike Freddie Mercury (I kid you not.) So if you like your surround to be dynamic, discrete, complex and somewhat eclectic then these are just perfect.

Back