Blow By Blow Multi-Channel SACD from Analogue Productions

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No problem with your comments but I don't find instruments fading as a problem. IMO I enjoy BBB with the channels reversed and that is it. I do have easy access to my rear speakers and sometime this week, since the wife is out of town, will do your easy experiment to check out the sonics.

Got it, I just thought you had misunderstood and thought that the APO reverses channels... All on the same page now, I believe!

I am mildly interested in the AP BBB and with that being said if you look at my comments on the review thread, and listening to it again right now, I can say IMO that I definitely prefer the front and back channels reversed. I much prefer Jeff's guitar upfront than in the rear.

I also much, much, much, prefer this music now than when it first came out back in the 1970's.

With that being said I notice no sonic deficiency with the speakers reversed and my center channel has nothing in it or else I'm playing it too low to detect anything from the center channel. IMO it is the quad 4.0 mix.

The bass goes to a sub-woofer so don't ask about the LFE.

I listen to the Sony/Columbia single layer SACD released in 2001.

Wow that's 15 years ago and we are still discussing it. Must be a landmark/great album!!!!

good lord. :mad:@:

We aren't talking about the channels being reversed (i.e. moving the fronts to the backs and vice versa).

We are talking about the polarity on the rear channels being flipped. The consequence of that is that if something pans from front to rear, it would "disappear" half way as the fronts and rears would cancel out. When corrected the sound of the instrument would move cleanly from front to rear with the volume staying the same as it moved.

So, the position of the instruments doesn't change in the new corrected AP disc, but the "solidity" of sounds as they move from front to back or back to front is there where as things would be canceling out before.

If you have easy access to your rear speakers, you could test this using just the old Sony SACD but switching the red/black wires on your rear speakers. That is effectively what the correction on the APO disc does.

The way I understand phase, is that the cancellation effect happens only when the channels are combined into one (speaker). So the speakers front to back playing program content out of phase to each other does not cancel out anything. The speaker cone simply moves in rather than out during a "hit" section of the playing. This could sound wonky depending on the music, but nothing cancels out anything, it's all still there.

The way I understand phase, is that the cancellation effect happens only when the channels are combined into one (speaker).

Well, no. Try this: reverse the positive/negative connection to one of your front speakers. That inverts the phase of the front Left and Right. Hear a difference? I bet you do.And that's a purely acoustic inversion, it's not being combined into one speaker. It's probably audibly bigger than the difference you hear between Front vs Rear acoustic phase inversion, but there will still be an effect in both cases.

Again, this is physics. Not magic.

The way I understand phase, is that the cancellation effect happens only when the channels are combined into one (speaker). So the speakers front to back playing program content out of phase to each other does not cancel out anything. The speaker cone simply moves in rather than out during a "hit" section of the playing. This could sound wonky depending on the music, but nothing cancels out anything, it's all still there.

Yeah, "cancelling" out probably isn't the best way to describe it. But, the effect is that if they are in phase the sound sounds like it is coming from a specific location between the speakers. If they are out of phase the sound becomes hard to locate, sounding like it comes from "outside" the two speakers. So, if you imagine a sound that is supposed to move from a front speaker to a back speaker. If they are in phase the sound will move clearly from near the front speaker to a spot right between them, to the back speaker. If they are out of phase, the sound will start in the front speaker, gradually become more diffuse and hard to locate and then gather again in the rear speaker. So, correct, the sound will not "cancel out" or go away, but it will not sound like it is coming from a specific location like it should.

Has anyone compared the Japanese MC version of JB's BXB to the Analogue Production MC version? I just ordered the Japanese Mini LP SACD because of the awesome packaging. Looking to collect all 5 of the Jeff Beck Japanese Mini LP SACDs, have Wired, Rough and Ready and B.B.A. Jeff Beck Group also on the way. Will most likely sell the AP version I have if the sonics are comparable.

Has anyone compared the Japanese MC version of JB's BXB to the Analogue Production MC version? I just ordered the Japanese Mini LP SACD because of the awesome packaging. Looking to collect all 5 of the Jeff Beck Japanese Mini LP SACDs, have Wired, Rough and Ready and B.B.A. Jeff Beck Group also on the way. Will most likely sell the AP version I have if the sonics are comparable.

Yes, I did. You have to go to the poll, I think, on one of these threads, can't remember, but I did the definitive comparison. Critical listening with pen and paper.
The edge goes to Analogue Productions, but not by much. The big question was out of phase rears, which is a bit of witchcraft, but true none the less.

Back