Blow By Blow Multi-Channel SACD from Analogue Productions

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep it was multi channel...long story short... it is being reissued by AP due to their interest in reworking the stereo portion..they just threw in the existing multi channel because they could(probably got it cheap or for free)..they don't care about multi channel(AP)..it's a good deal for you to buy it BUT since you are buying from acoustic sounds you will be hammered on shipping..my advice is grab it at one of other places like Music Direct or Elusive Disc when it's in stock ..UNLESS you can find enough to purchase to get free shipping from acoustic sounds..

Well, AP cares enough about Multichannel to add it to the Blow by Blow SACD.

Might be a good move to thank them for that change in plans, and encourage them to add Multichannel DSD to their SACDs when available in the future. :)

Well, AP cares enough about Multichannel to add it to the Blow by Blow SACD.
Might be a good move to thank them for that change in plans, and encourage them to add Multichannel DSD to their SACDs when available. :)

I guess that might be one approach...even though they state that their only interest is in 2 channel...certainly no harm:)

Yeah, I did - it severely impacts the low end if you have any kind of bass management going on, for the same reasons as the inverted phase on the Opeth 5.1 disc.

If the multichannel portion of the new AP disc is a straight digital clone of the old Sony DSD master, it'll have the same problem.

Yeah, I did - it severely impacts the low end if you have any kind of bass management going on, for the same reasons as the inverted phase on the Opeth 5.1 disc.

If the multichannel portion of the new AP disc is a straight digital clone of the old Sony DSD master, it'll have the same problem.

Hopefully, as AP DID with the Norah Jones botched rears (out of phase) on her "Come Away With Me" mch SACD, they'll likewise correct the BBB mch SACD. Or, one can only hope!

Perhaps bmoura has some kind of inside info on this?

What? Norah Jones has out of phase rears? That's too bad.... lmao

GOS, I had the original Universal mch SACD of Come Away With Me and I really have to admit, AP's mch SACD is simply astounding........so if they do the same for BBB.....a double dip would be in order (I have the original single layer SONY mch SACD of BBB)....but truth be told, I LOVE it, as is (I do NOT employ bass management on my system).

It did on the original Blue Note/EMI SACD.
Was corrected on the Analogue Productions Multichannel SACD reissue.

Brian, are you aware of the out of phase rears on both the Domestic and Japanese SACDs of Blow By Blow?

The original SONY single layered mch sounds spectacular on my system. NO complaints here!

Brian, are you aware of the out of phase rears on both the Domestic and Japanese SACDs of Blow By Blow?

The original SONY single layered mch sounds spectacular on my system. NO complaints here!

So you say it's out of phase but sounds spectacular? So, what happens if they fix it, will it still sound spectacular?

So you say it's out of phase but sounds spectacular? So, what happens if they fix it, will it still sound spectacular?

I was never aware that the rears were out of phase on BBB.......just read it here on QQ. So I posed the question to Brian based on poster's comments.

I was aware that Norah Jones album Come Away With Me had phase problems in the rear channel, and since I own both the EMI/Blue Note mch SACD and AP mch reissue was able immediately to hear the improvement in the AP version.

It will be interesting to hear Brian's answer from his friends at AP whether BBB had phase problems....or not.....but you can't prove it by me.

Sorry if I gave you that impression, cupboy.

An update on the Out of Phase question.

I talked with Gus Skinas at the Super Audio Center. Gus was already aware of the problem and has corrected it for the upcoming Multichannel SACD remastered edition of Blow by Blow on Analogue Productions.

Good news indeed.

An update on the Out of Phase question.

I talked with Gus Skinas at the Super Audio Center. Gus was already aware of the problem and has corrected it for the upcoming Multichannel SACD remastered edition of Blow by Blow on Analogue Productions.

Good news indeed.

INDEED, Brian. I did not purchase the Japanese BBB SACD so I'm definitely IN for AP's BBB mch remaster.

Acoustic Sounds should make note of this on their website. It is a BIG deal.

Thanks so much for your "super sleuthing!"

Thanks for the news. I did buy the Japanese collectors sacd still unopened. Did not know about this issue when I bought it. If this new sacd is truly corrected guess I will be buying it and selling off the other one......

Wow, I have the Japanese collector's edition and never noticed a problem with the sound... I'll have to revisit that one! Either way, I would still buy the new version just so I don't have to work my way through that ridiculous 7" packaging just to listen to the disc!

If you don't have a subwoofer or deemphasized bass management you don't suffer from this problem...and it does sound excellent under those parameters..

The Sony SACDs are 5.1...the have some small subwoofer channel content (and minimal center channel content too). The rear channels are phase-inverted compared to the fronts. You could run everything 'large' and the bass issue would not be as telling (though I suspect there could still be in-room cancellation). There would still be some sub output, because of what's natively in that channel. The out of phase issue would mainly arise if you do bass management, i.e., combine bass content from rears + fronts, and send it to a sub (or to large front speakers).

FWIW I don't recall ever noticing a problem with the EQ balance (lack of bass). But I have phase corrected my BBB laserdrop files now, and I'll be giving them a listen to compare to 'uncorrected'

Last edited:
All this talk about being out of phase reminds me of the old Shure test records...

"my voice will have a diffuse and directionless quality"

Back