Blow By Blow Multi-Channel SACD from Analogue Productions

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The way I got it was the original was quad in there was no bass track it was all mixed into the four channels

Sent from my VS425PP using Tapatalk

The way I got it was the original was quad in there was no bass track it was all mixed into the four channels

Theoretically, when QUAD was announced back in the day there were NO subwoofers (thus, no 4.1) and the bass WAS integrated into the four channels.

The multi-channel SACD original one there is no center information its just a quad transfer and one time I cut down volume and the channels individually and raise the bass and it sounded pretty damn good

The multi-channel SACD original one there is no center information its just a quad transfer and one time I cut down volume and the channels individually and raise the bass and it sounded pretty damn good

My SONY single layer QUAD of BBB likewise sounds great so it might be prudent to actually wait to hear other poster's review of AP's BBB reissue which will be released on March 8th.

If it does pan out that it's superior to the original, then I have NO problem double dipping. AP rarely disappoints.

I agree I always enjoy this album it's been one of my favorites from the day it was released but having it multichannel a real treat despite the lack bass

30.00 but almost 8.00 to ship so not THAT GREAT of a deal. I'm waiting.

I intend on buying both Blow By Blow and Wired from Music Direct...shipping will be free(a purchase of $49 or more)...or if you don't want both..Elusive Disc has reasonable shipping..around $4.50 if I remember correctly....just be patient...it won't be long:)

The one I'm referring to is the 2001 Sony/Epic non-hybrid SACD multichannel+stereo release #ES85440

It has the original quad mix repurposed to six channels, and it also has the original stereo mix.

The sub and center channel content in the 5.1 mix is minimal but it's not zero. And the LFE channel is out of phase with the fronts as steelydave noted here, as are the rear channels.

I never noticed an audible problem with bass levels but I'm going to give a phase-corrected version a try for comparison.

What exactly did you do when you cut down volume individually?

OK I've compared the phase matched versus original BBB now, on a bass-managed system (small speakers, bass routed to sub).

There's a lot more bass on the phase matched one. ; >

Last edited:
My SONY single layer QUAD of BBB likewise sounds great so it might be prudent to actually wait to hear other poster's review of AP's BBB reissue which will be released on March 8th.

If it does pan out that it's superior to the original, then I have NO problem double dipping. AP rarely disappoints.

I think you will find it much better sounding than the Sony editions of Blow by Blow in Multichannel SACD.
It's the first time the Surround Sound tracks on the album have sounded correct. :)

Elusive expects this tomorrow. Hopefully MusicDirect gets it soon too. No interest in paying $10+ for shipping from Acou$tic $ound$.

I think you will find it much better sounding than the Sony editions of Blow by Blow in Multichannel SACD.
It's the first time the Surround Sound tracks on the album have sounded correct. :)

Brian, I will definitely purchase it as I trust your judgment.

I feel sorry for the folks who bought the Japanese BBB mch version. I probably only paid about $15 for the domestic SONY mch SACD!

Looks like MusicDirect has these in stock... finally. I ordered Blow By Blow and a 3-channel classical title.

Brian, I will definitely purchase it as I trust your judgment.

I feel sorry for the folks who bought the Japanese BBB mch version. I probably only paid about $15 for the domestic SONY mch SACD!

The 40th Anniversary Edition from Japan has some nice collectors items included.

Nice to see the out of phase issue has finally been corrected.
Kudos to Chad Kassem and Gus Skinas for that.

Back