Blow By Blow Multi-Channel SACD from Analogue Productions

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brian, I will definitely purchase it as I trust your judgment.

I feel sorry for the folks who bought the Japanese BBB mch version. I probably only paid about $15 for the domestic SONY mch SACD!

I purchased the BBB Japan in the 7" X 7" jacket release and always felt it was one of my top 5 reference discs, never, did I ever, hear it was out of phase until now this new version is released. It makes me wonder how the professionals can say something was wrong before and that is why we need something new. The same story I have heard my whole life. The question is as always and I am going to let you guys tell me before I purchase. At what cost and how hard am I going to have to listen to say to myself, I just spent $60.00 bucks on two discs and I sorta hear the difference.

I purchased the BBB Japan in the 7" X 7" jacket release and always felt it was one of my top 5 reference discs, never, did I ever, hear it was out of phase until now this new version is released. It makes me wonder how the professionals can say something was wrong before and that is why we need something new. The same story I have heard my whole life. The question is as always and I am going to let you guys tell me before I purchase. At what cost and how hard am I going to have to listen to say to myself, I just spent $60.00 bucks on two discs and I sorta hear the difference.

So the out of phase issue may not be on all of the Sony released Multichannel SACDs of Blow by Blow?
It's definitely on the original Blow by Blow Multichannel SACD from Epic/Sony in the U.S.

Maybe Sony Japan caught it before their 40th Anniversary Edition of Blow by Blow was released.
Hmm...

I hear ya, Markie. There have been a few instances where both the domestic and Japanese minions screwed up with either reversed channel issues or phase issues and AP came to the rescue but as far as the Japanese BBB is concerned, I don't know if like the domestic SONY BBB it was, in fact, out of phase.

If you're happy with BBB as it is, then I really wouldn't bother replacing it. As I previously stated, I only paid about $15 for my version (and it IS out of phase) so replacing it for ME, is NO big deal.

Personally, if you don't already have it, I'd buy the AP hybrid stereo SACD of JB's WIRED, instead.

I recieved the new AP Jeff Beck Wired Stereo Only SACD. Looking forward to it. I think I have about 3 versions of Wired. I decided to not purchase the AP multichannel Blow By Blow as i have the mch Japanese version released earlier in the 7" X 7" jacket. If somebody has both and tells me there is a huge difference for the better with the AP then I might consider but the Japanese is a top 5 reference disc so hard for me to believe the ap would be that much better. Anyway, lets listen to the stereo SACD wired, first. Will Jon put up a poll for Wired?

You don't need the new version of Blow By Blow..IMO....for over a decade on here almost everybody(except steelydave) never noticed the problem and it received high marks on the poll thread........if you don't use a LFE channel and don't have your speakers set to small you probably never heard the effects of the out of phase elements...I never had issues with it and I loaned it to a friend that is a bass hound(Gos) and he didn't notice any problem with the bass...

You don't need the new version of Blow By Blow..IMO....for over a decade on here almost everybody(except steelydave) never noticed the problem and it received high marks on the poll thread........if you don't use a LFE channel and don't have your speakers set to small you probably never heard the effects of the out of phase elements...I never had issues with it and I loaned it to a friend that is a bass hound(Gos) and he didn't notice any problem with the bass...

AND THAT'S WHY I'M INTELLECTUALLY AND MUSICALLY SUPERIOR TO EVERYONE ELSE HERE! :mad:

Haha, just kidding. In all seriousness if you're using a surround system with any kind of bass management the difference when the phase is corrected is enormous, and there will be some difference even without bass management as there still will be phase cancellation in-room. It's not to say that the original version with the phase problems doesn't sound pretty good - it does - but by the same token I thought that steak couldn't taste any better than a good t-bone or ribeye until I had filet mignon.

Oh and the Japanese version is out-of-phase too, it's identical to the US version. This new AP version will be the first 'correct' digital version and I'm looking forward to hearing it.

I sold my out of phase original release for $35 a month ago or so, and purchased the new one for $27, so I have no complaints about price.

It's already sold out at MusicDirect... and they just got them in on Monday. That was quick. Mine should arrive tomorrow.

Available anywhere else? I'd like to jump in on this release. Not on Amerzon, last I looked.

Ordered Blow By Blow and Wired from Acoustic Sounds yesterday afternoon, $60.00 w/free shipping coupon that I had. Talked to someone on the phone, and she said they had 30 of each left at that time. Number one sellers on the surround/stereo SACD lists, from what I heard.

Ordered Blow By Blow and Wired from Acoustic Sounds yesterday afternoon, $60.00 w/free shipping coupon that I had. Talked to someone on the phone, and she said they had 30 of each left at that time. Number one sellers on the surround/stereo SACD lists, from what I heard.

$60.00?? I paid $30.00 at ED

I just looked at the APO and indeed the rear channels have their phase reversed when compared to the 2001 Sony/Epic.

But, the phase of the .1 channel is the same, and certainly does still appear to out of phase to me (every peak I match to the fronts is in the opposite direction.

Can anyone else confirm this? It seems to me that if the LFE was out of phase before, it still is.

Here is a sample from Thelonious...

Screen Shot 2016-04-03 at 8.18.44 AM.png

The one I'm referring to is the 2001 Sony/Epic non-hybrid SACD multichannel+stereo release #ES85440

It has the original quad mix repurposed to six channels, and it also has the original stereo mix.

The sub and center channel content in the 5.1 mix is minimal but it's not zero. And the LFE channel is out of phase with the fronts as steelydave noted here, as are the rear channels.

I never noticed an audible problem with bass levels but I'm going to give a phase-corrected version a try for comparison.

Cheezmo said:
I just looked at the APO and indeed the rear channels have their phase reversed when compared to the 2001 Sony/Epic.
Cheezmo said:
But, the phase of the .1 channel is the same, and certainly does still appear to out of phase to me (every peak I match to the fronts is in the opposite direction.

Can anyone else confirm this? It seems to me that if the LFE was out of phase before, it still is.

Here is a sample from Thelonious...

I see this too....this is getting comical.

On my corrected version (self corrected) sub and center are in phase with front and rear on tracks 1-5. But out of phase on tracks from 'side two' (tracks 6-9)

Oy vey. Each 'side' is probably a different master tape, and somehow things got screwed up differently on the two.

The problem isn't very noticeable on the Sony because there's not much center and sub content. Having the rears and front in phase makes the biggest difference by far.

Cheezmo, please check something from side 1 of the AP ( You Know What I Mean -->Scatterbrain) and let us know what you find.

Some screen caps from the 2001 Sony 5.1 (corrected...but not fully corrected!)
Left: You Know What I Mean
Right: Scatterbrain
These look 'right'. Everything in phase

Attachments

• BBB1.jpg
    BBB1.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 222
Back