Beware eBay scam deals on fake reels and Q8's

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
I haven't done the ebay thing in years, but once in a while I check in just to see what's still out there. I noticed that there are quite a few sellers selling "copies" of rare quad reels and Q8's. Trading copies is one thing, but selling them for huge prices is a bit underhanded IMHO. I am not going to judge, but just be careful if you see a Quad reel of a recording that was never released on reel, or if the verbiage states you are buying a "copy". Paying collector prices for copies is a waste of money in my book.

If you are unsure of a sale and are unsure if you should bid, create a post here and our membership will be sure to check it out for you. Many folks here detest this practice of selling fakes. Just because the box has graphics and the reel has a label doesn't mean it's legit.

DSOTM reel.jpg
DSOTM 2 reel.jpg
ccr.jpg
eagles reels.jpg

Good post, Jon.

I reported loads of these auctions to eBay, both the ones from the guy that's copying quad tapes in to stereo shells, and the ones from the guy who's printing custom art and sticking it on reel to reel tape boxes. I haven't checked lately, but none of the auctions I reported seem to have been pulled and I think that in combination with the money that these con artists are making from this is emboldening not only the original ones but the copycats that have shown up lately. Recently, someone actually paid in the $150 range for a home made Eagles quad reel, which is presumably a copy of either the Q8 or a CD-4 decode! I'm sure it's tempting for people to want to try and cash in on that kind of naivety/stupidity, especially if eBay isn't going to do anything about it.

Good post, Jon.

I reported loads of these auctions to eBay, both the ones from the guy that's copying quad tapes in to stereo shells, and the ones from the guy who's printing custom art and sticking it on reel to reel tape boxes. I haven't checked lately, but none of the auctions I reported seem to have been pulled and I think that in combination with the money that these con artists are making from this is emboldening not only the original ones but the copycats that have shown up lately. Recently, someone actually paid in the $150 range for a home made Eagles quad reel, which is presumably a copy of either the Q8 or a CD-4 decode! I'm sure it's tempting for people to want to try and cash in on that kind of naivety/stupidity, especially if eBay isn't going to do anything about it.

Yup. It's "Buyer Beware", and everyone is free to do what the heck they want to, I just want to be sure that our membership is aware of the situation. Hey, if anyone wants to get these copies and that's the only way they can, well good for them. As long as they know what they're getting.

there is a copy of
Pink Floyd Wish You Were Here

Reel/Reel Quad On E/Bay?

I posted this somewhere else at QQ but there is also someone from Moldova selling many stereo reels ( I know, only stereo ) that look fake to me, although I may be wrong. They usually show up in the middle of the night and if you do a search for (reel) worldwide you will probably see them.

Remember those Fake Q8's that were selling on ebay about 8-10 years ago? Literal hack jobs with the notches carved out or melted out with a soldering iron and Q8 labels horribly pasted onto or over stereo labels. Wish I'd saved some pictures of those. Absolutely laughable.

The guy from Moldova is a menace.

He changes his account name frequently, but I mean how many folks from Moldova are selling reels?! ;)

Anybody have any info on the Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon colored (white, red, orange, yellow, blue) vinyl that is showing up on ebay right now? On the top edge of the label , it says , E M I AUSTRALIA LIMITED ALL RIGHTS OF THE MANUFACTURER AND OF THE OWNER OF THE RECORDED WORK RESERVED. Also , located just above the hole , it shows -33 1/3 RPM, SHVLA.804, QHVL.804B, SIDE 2. The front side of the cover shows an SQ logo . Being sold by MACKOSMOS and others.

Anybody have any info on the Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon colored (white, red, orange, yellow, blue) vinyl that is showing up on ebay right now? On the top edge of the label , it says , E M I AUSTRALIA LIMITED ALL RIGHTS OF THE MANUFACTURER AND OF THE OWNER OF THE RECORDED WORK RESERVED. Also , located just above the hole , it shows -33 1/3 RPM, SHVLA.804, QHVL.804B, SIDE 2. The front side of the cover shows an SQ logo . Being sold by MACKOSMOS and others.

I have a blue one. It's a counterfeit. It's not even the quad mix of the album despite the catalog # and the SQ logo.

I just got mackosmos reply (quick !) :
thanks for your interest
i do not know if they are quadrophonic but, they are not official releases as far as i know. they come from europe and i get them from my regular US distributor, thats all know
thanks again. I have noticed that when sellers are vague with their replies or descriptions , they know what they are selling. In my opinion , these records should be sold as bootlegs . Just like the other bootleg records sold on ebay , but they at least acknowledge that the records are bootleg.

Most QS SQ CD-4 vinyl and quad tape 8 track included I have bought on Ebay have been NOT cheap, but hardly ever like item description. Unless sealed NOS 100% as new, or near perfect or atleast conform ITEM subscription, with these I have bought on Ebay I have not been conned, ripped. ! Relating to quad gear, its worse! Most of the time NOT like item description and supply demand wise, and based on state of item, most often indeed to expensive. Even $500 till 1000+ dollar / euros etc for complete wrecks with missing parts knobs modules cosmetically extremely chalenged and not or ONLY powering up, and ask these kind of amounts..well they can try..but i wouldnt buy it.
Dont get me wrong im a EbayFetishist, but till date most quad gear and media i bought locallly fysical (vintage audio / used music media) retail store, like vinyl and quad reels, was more affordable and as far as the quad gear concerned; almost always exact and original as adverstized, or repaired conform orig specs, cleaned well maintained, cleaned looking good, working as should and with 3 months warrentee. Works as should doesnt mean much on ebay. And depending on seller VG VG++ etc etc not so much neither. Same for on Dischogs etc etc. But thats my experience.

Last edited:
99% of my stuff has come from eBay. A few pieces of equipment have come from an Audiophile friend and some LP's came about by making friends when I lived in Vancouver.
Maybe I'm just smarter than the average bear but I've never been taken on ebay. A few times, some sellers would show a quadraphonic cartridge in their auction and I'd get a stereo cart. They'd admit they just did a Google search for photo, claimed to not know the difference and I'd get a refund. I think that's the worst of it.

The worst I've ever experienced was off this site. Now, I take full responsibility, shit happens. But some Aussie pecker soaked me well over $100 US for a Pioneer QP-444 and a sealed Enoch Light Quad tape that he claimed he never received. Well, the dum-dum wouldn't pay for Air Shipping, specified surface which I told him could take upwards of 10-12 weeks. After 2 weeks, he started demanding to know where his item was and filed with Paypal. Literally the day after they gave him his money back, the tracking on CanadaPost showed as delivered. I tried to appeal, but Paypal said too much time has passed.

For the longest time, I wouldn't sell to Auzzies because of that. I still have the shitheads name and address if any of my Auzzie buddies have some large friends who would go collect for me. I'd reward handsomely just to make a point.

Back