King Crimson 1980s Box Set

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
What once was thought to be more of a rumor and a wish is now turning into a concrete release!

From David Singleton's DGMLive diary: http://www.dgmlive.com/diaries.htm?artist=&show=&member=27&entry=83911099

there will, of course be a boxed set to go under the Christmas Tree (unreleased gems from the 1980s being unearthed even as I write)

So besides the unreleased gems mentioned, it looks like we will finally be able to hear the "Beat" and "Three of a Perfect Pair" remixes by the end of this year! :) :banana:

I like it!

I like it, too,, but am more intrigued by this:

Let's hear it for Leap Year Day! DGM announces an official Collectors Bootleg of the recent King Crimson concert in Toronto from 20th Nov 2015 - available for download or pre-order as a Collectors' Club Special Edition.

And if that isn't enough to get the blood flowing, there's a major double live album and whole show of video footage coming in the autumn...

"A KC Book" got my attention. Now would be a great time for an all-encompassing biography of the band.

RT, what makes you think the quote "unreleased gems from the 1980's being unearthed" has anything to do with Beat & TOAPP?
To me the latest announcements do nothing to support that we will ever see these releases.
They've been done for ages and yet they collect dust.
To me further proof of why Robert Fripp goes through so many musicians, arbitrary, oblique mindset.
Frankly I'm beyond tired of any King Crimson "news" because it's no news at all.
I'm convinced we'll see Beat & TOAPP right around the time we see Archives 2. i.e., never.

RT, what makes you think the quote "unreleased gems from the 1980's being unearthed" has anything to do with Beat & TOAPP?
To me the latest announcements do nothing to support that we will ever see these releases.
They've been done for ages and yet they collect dust.
To me further proof of why Robert Fripp goes through so many musicians, arbitrary, oblique mindset.
Frankly I'm beyond tired of any King Crimson "news" because it's no news at all.
I'm convinced we'll see Beat & TOAPP right around the time we see Archives 2. i.e., never.

The box set will definitely be a release containing material from the 1980s era of King Crimson. (That's why Singleton specifically mentioned unreleased gems from the 80s when talking about the upcoming box set.)
All of the recent box sets released have focused on specific albums and/or specific lineups, and all of them have contained the respective new high-resolution stereo and surround remixes, so if this forthcoming box set will cover the 1980s era lineup of King Crimson, I have no doubts that the box will contain the new stereo and surround remixes for all three 80s albums ("Discipline", "Beat", and "Three of a Perfect Pair") in high-resolution on DVD-A/V and Blu-Ray disc. (That also means we should finally see the CD+DVD-A/V editions of "Beat" and "Three of a Perfect Pair" too.)
Time passes, delays occur, and things change, but I have never been under the impression that the "Beat" and "Three of a Perfect Pair" remixes will never see the light of day (the opposite way I feel about so many other unreleased surround mixes from major labels, which DGM isn't)

You can choose to be negative and express those negative viewpoints of King Crimson and Robert Fripp all you want on here, but I know for certain we have amazing individuals pouring their hears and souls into these 40th anniversary releases that not only want them to be enjoyed by us, but they want them to be perfect down to the minor details, and if that means waiting a little longer before releasing them to make sure they are as good as they can possibly be, then so be it!

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Hope Springs Eternal! :)

(BTW that's a terrible comparison comparing Fripp to Neil Young, cause Fripp has done more for high-resolution surround releases than Neil has ever done and ever will do!)

There's absolutely no reason to assume that Fripp will block the 5.1 releases of Beat and Three of a Perfect Pair. He's been pretty consistent about giving us something in surround pretty much every year since the King Crimson surround reissue series began:

2009: In the Court of the Crimson King and Red.
2010: In the Wake Of Poseidon, Lizard & Islands.
2011: Starless & Bible Black & Discipline.
2012: Larks' Tongues in Aspic
2014: Starless box set (featuring 3 concerts in surround.)
2015: Thrak (also available in box set with two complete concerts mixed in surround.)

Fripp & DGM are financing these projects on their own without the support of major label so it is unreasonable to expect that they have the resources to release these things at a faster rate. Even if they did, it doesn't make good business sense to flood the market with all this material at the same time. Also, the Crimson surround series is still moving along faster compared to some others like XTC's. I know it's easy to look at how fast the Jethro Tull series is moving along and wish the same for King Crimson, but Jethro Tull have a major label behind their releases. Even if Fripp decided to halt any future 5.1 reissues, we still have more from King Crimson than most major artists. What have we gotten from The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Kinks, Bruce Springsteen or Led Zeppelin? Pink Floyd and The Who have only given us a few titles.

I will start a friendly wager with RT though and predict that the box we get for Xmas will not be an all encompassing 80's box, but rather a box focused solely on Beat. They have so many soundboard concert recordings from that tour (there are practically none from the Discipline or Three of a Perfect Pair tours) that a Road to Red or Starless style box for Beat doesn't seem outside of the realm of possibility.

I'm guessing (and hoping, really) it's more of an encompassing 80's box. Mostly because we'd get Blu-rays of Discipline and Three of a Perfect Pair, not just Beat. This is a real shot in the dark but I think either next year or maybe even further down the line we'll get a new version of the In the Court of the Crimson King set with Blu-ray (this spurred on by the SW remix of "Epitaph" that came out as part of the tour box set last year).

privateuniverse, it's on! I definitely understand your reasoning behind why a "Beat" box makes more sense than an 80s box covering all three albums, but the main reason why I think it will be an all-encompassing 80s box is because I don't think any of the 80s albums are strong enough (or successful enough) to warrant a box set release all on their own.
And as for onthewall2983's point, I wouldn't be opposed to a new box set release of "In the Court of the Crimson King" with Blu-Ray, but I would prefer they come up with an 'early years' box set encompassing ITCOTKC, "In the Wake of Poseidon", and "Lizard", that way we can get all three of those albums on Blu-Ray in one set.
But even before that idea, I would hope they could release an "Islands" set with Blu-Ray. Hope Springs Eternal! ;)

privateuniverse, it's on! I definitely understand your reasoning behind why a "Beat" box makes more sense than an 80s box covering all three albums, but the main reason why I think it will be an all-encompassing 80s box is because I don't think any of the 80s albums are strong enough (or successful enough) to warrant a box set release all on their own.
And as for onthewall2983's point, I wouldn't be opposed to a new box set release of "In the Court of the Crimson King" with Blu-Ray, but I would prefer they come up with an 'early years' box set encompassing ITCOTKC, "In the Wake of Poseidon", and "Lizard", that way we can get all three of those albums on Blu-Ray in one set.
But even before that idea, I would hope they could release an "Islands" set with Blu-Ray. Hope Springs Eternal! ;)

Personally I would be opposed to any more KC box sets or Blu-Ray reissues until they have finished the ongoing series with Beat and Three of a Perfect Pair :couch

Personally I would be opposed to any more KC box sets or Blu-Ray reissues until they have finished the ongoing series with Beat and Three of a Perfect Pair :couch

So am I, but if this is an all-encompassing 80s box that they are releasing later on in the year, then the CD+DVD-A/V editions of "Beat" and Three of a Perfect Pair" should also be released in conjunction with the bigger set too. Then, there will no longer be any holes in the 40th anniversary series! :)

Just in from David Singleton's Facebook page, a clarification:

The Christmas Boxed set is from 1980, covering all three albums.

Woo-Hoo! The wait for "Beat" and "Three of a Perfect Pair" will finally be over by the end of the year! :)

The thing that I want the most for this to include (besides the 5.1 mixes!) is a video from the final night of the Beat tour. The concert, performed on Sept 29, 1982 at Alabamahalle in Munich was released on CD through the King Crimson Collector's Club. The performance is a total scorcher, even if the audio quality of the recording is far from perfect. The band is at the top of their game and firing on all cylinders. The concert was also broadcast on German TV at the time so video of the show does exist. Keeping my fingers crossed that it'll find its way into the box.

I wouldn't be opposed to a new box set release of "In the Court of the Crimson King" with Blu-Ray, but I would prefer they come up with an 'early years' box set encompassing ITCOTKC, "In the Wake of Poseidon", and "Lizard", that way we can get all three of those albums on Blu-Ray in one set.

My guess is that actually the ITCOTCK set would be it's own thing, with Blu-ray and possibly new unearthed material. And that the three following albums would comprise it's own box, not unlike the one coming out at the end of this year.

Back