King Crimson 1980s Box Set

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not a bad price at all! I'll likely stick with the DVD-As, but no bitchin from me about gouging.
I also think the Thrak box was fair and the material suits me much better. Love the Thrak Box.

Interesting that we get both DVD-A and Blu-ray in this box. ITCOTCK was DVD-A only, while Larks' Tongues, The Road To Red, and Starless were Blu-ray only. Of course, the standard SW KC packages are DVD-A, but why have both? Surely, most DVD-A-capable surround sound playback systems these days also play Blu-ray, even if set up for audio only?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting that we get both DVD-A and Blu-ray in this box. ITCOTCK was DVD-A only, while Larks' Tongues, The Road To Red, and Starless were Blu-ray only. Of course, the standard SW KC packages are DVD-A, but why have both? Surely, most DVD-A-capable surround sound playback systems these days also play Blu-ray, even if set up for audio only?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually, the Larks, Starless, and THRAK boxes all have both Blu-Ray and DVDA-V.
ITCOTKC is DVD-A/V only, and the Road to Red set has Blu-Ray with a stereo DVD-V disc.
The reason DVD-A/V and Blu-Ray are both in these boxes is because not everyone has a Blu-Ray player, and/or not everyone can access the high-res MLP material if they don't have a DVD-A player.
Providing both formats ensures that the material can be enjoyed by a wider consumer audience.

:)

Ok, so DGM should post a full track listing at some point, but for now, I thought it would be a good idea to break down this set for everyone on here based on what we know about it from both DGM & Burning Shed.

This is a 17-disc box set, with 11 CDs, 3 DVD-A/V discs, and 3 Blu-Ray discs.

3 of the CDs (with the new SW stereo remixes) and all 3 of the DVD-A/V discs are available in the smaller CD/DVDA-V configurations. "Discipline" was released in 2011, while "Beat" and "Three of a Perfect Pair" come out a week before this box does.

But what's on the rest of the CDs?

Here's how they break down:

1 CD is of the April 30, 1981 concert in Bath, originally available here: http://www.dgmlive.com/archive.htm?show=423
1 CD is of the December 18, 1981 concert in Tokyo, originally available here: http://www.dgmlive.com/archive.htm?show=489
1 CD is of the August 27, 1982 concert in Frejus, originally available here: http://www.dgmlive.com/archive.htm?show=526
1 CD is of the September 29, 1982 concert in Munich, originally available here: http://www.dgmlive.com/archive.htm?show=538
2 CDs are of the July 11, 1984 concert in Montreal, originally released as the "Absent Lovers" live album: https://www.burningshed.com/store/kingcrimson/product/313/1949/

2CDs feature additional studio recordings: a CD newly edited & expanded from sessions for the ‘abandoned’ third album & a “making of…” CD featuring studio snippets & outtakes from across the studio recordings.

Now onto the Blu-Ray discs, the best part!

First off, the Blu-Rays contain everything that the three DVD-A/V discs contain, so go look at the track listings for those to see what they contain, but here's what is exclusive to the 3 Blu-Ray discs:

The Frejus live film will be on the "Discipline" Blu-Ray disc (even though it should probably be on the "Beat" Blu-Ray disc, but I won't make a fuss about that…) ;)
The Alabama-Halle broadcast footage from 1982 will be on the "Beat" Blu-Ray disc.
The 1984 Japan live film will be on the "Three of a Perfect Pair" Blu-Ray disc.
The "Three Of A Perfect Pair" blu-ray also features previously unseen footage from the final run of 1984 Japanese concerts plus 2 sets of 'single camera footage' recordings with shots focusing on each of the individual musicians.
Finally, the "Absent Lovers" concert (from Montreal) is also included in a new Surround Sound mix on the "Three Of A Perfect Pair" blu-ray.

Now it does not specifically say, but based on the DVD release "Neal and Jack and Me" from 2004, both the Frejus and Japan concert films should be mixed in 5.1 surround too.

Finally, it looks like there will be pure audio switching options available for some of the video footage on the 3 Blu-Rays.

Once more details are posted, they are going right in this thread, but that's it for now! :)

Excellent pricing for the box set. Headphone Dust has no listing yet. I will wait to see what happens, and if they will list I can combine with the YES ans XTC sets.
i received a reply from Sirendurai. She will get back to me when Headphone Dust has received their batch of box sets or when an order link is up.

I'll get the Box Set from Burning Shed (getting the Yes & XTC from Headphone Dust). Last week I met up with Giancarlo (of Nosound) and visited Burning Shed and met the lovely Lisa, its a really neat operation and aimed at us lovers of music ...... and they really do get and understand our desire for multi-channel!

i received a reply from Sirendurai. She will get back to me when Headphone Dust has received their batch of box sets or when an order link is up.

In case anyone hasn't noticed yet (except privateuniverse who found the SDE link) the disc count for this set has now increased from 17 discs to 19 discs, adding two DVD-V discs in the process!

Here's the info on the two new DVD-V discs:
Bonus Disc 18: DVD More Neal and Jack and Me

Video content: The Noise – Live in Frejus as previously released on the DGM DVD Neal and Jack and Me (2002). Plus Three of a Perfect Pair – Live in Japan – re-assembled from newly discovered master reels with previously unseen footage. Both in their original 4:3 standard definition format.

Bonus Disc 19: DVD The Town and the City

Audio content: Live in Philadelphia, Asbury Park, Cap D’Agde, Frejus 24/48 high-resolution stereo, Europe1982, previously unreleased live album 24/96 high-resolution stereo

Video content:

Alabamahalle TV broadcast in its original

4:3 standard definition format

And here's a more thorough outline of the other 17 discs (as made available on both SDE.com and Burning Shed):
All discs are CDs unless stated otherwise.

Disc 1: Discipline

Mixed and produced from the original multi-track tapes by Steven Wilson and Robert Fripp (2011). Mastered by Simon Heyworth and Robert Fripp (4)

Disc 2: Live in Japan

Taken from an audience cassette recording at Kokusai Hall, Tokyo on December 18th, the final concert in 1981. Audio restored & newly mastered at DGM by David Singleton and Alex R Mundy 2016. (1)

Disc 3: Beat

Mixed and produced from the original multi-track tapes by Steven Wilson and Robert Fripp (2016). Mastered by Simon Heyworth and Robert Fripp (4)

Disc 4: Live at Alabamahalle

Recorded September 29 in Munich, the final concert in 1982. Remastered and recompiled 2016 by David Singleton and Alex R Mundy with six tracks from new audio sources. (2)

Disc 5: Fragmented

Mostly recorded January 17-30, 1983 at C.V. Lloyd Music, Champaign, IL Recording Engineer: Gary Platt, Produced by Robert Fripp and David Singleton. Two new bonus tracks 2016. (3)

Disc 6: Three of a Perfect Pair

Mixed and produced from the original multi-track tapes by Steven Wilson and Robert Fripp (2016). Mastered by Simon Heyworth and Robert Fripp (4)

Discs 7 & 8: Absent Lovers

Live at The Spectrum, Montreal, July 11th, the final concert of 1984. Mixed by David Singleton & Robert Fripp from the original multi-track tapes for the DGM release “Absent Lovers” (1998). As newly recompiled in high-resolution for inclusion on Disc 15

Disc 9: Are You Recording Gary?

An insight into the inner working of the band, and the familiar heard in an unfamiliar way. Edited & assembled by David Singleton from original album session tapes, with additional downmixes by Alex R. Mundy

Disc 10: DVD-A Discipline

Audio content: 5.1 surround mix; original mix; 2011 mix & additional tracks in 24/96 and Album rough mixes in 24/48

Video content: Old Grey Whistle Test (4)

Disc 11: DVD-A Beat

Audio content: 5.1 surround mix; original mix; 2016 mix & Alternate Album in 24/48

Video content: Heartbeat promo; two tracks live in Munich (4)

Disc 12: DVD-A Three of a Perfect Pair

Audio content: 5.1 surround mix; original mix; 2016 mix in 24/48

Video content: Sleepless promo (4)

Disc 13: BLU-RAY DISC Discipline

Contents as Disc 10 (audio 24/96) plus:

Video content:

Moles Club French TV interview
Live in Frejus 2016 audio & video transfers

Disc 14: BLU-RAY DISC Beat

Contents as Disc 11 (audio 24/96) plus:

Video content:

Complete Alabamahalle TV broadcast (widescreen format).

Disc 15: BLU-RAY DISC Three of a Perfect Pair

Contents as Disc 12 (audio 24/96) plus:

Video content: Three of a Perfect Pair – Live in Japan (Widescreen format).

Japan April 29th 1984 Part Show;

Japan April 29th 1984 (single camera);

Japan April 30th 1984 (single camera).

Audio content: Absent Lovers

High resolution and surround sound

Bonus Disc 16: Live at Moles Club

Taken from an audience cassette recording of April 30, 1981, the very first performance by Belew, Fripp, Bruford & Levin, while still called “Discipline”. Remastered and recompiled 2016. (2)

Bonus Disc 17: Europe 1982

A newly discovered unreleased live album. Mixed by Brad Davis & Robert Fripp in 1983. Taken from the concert in The Arena, Frejus, August 27th 1982. Plus four bonus tracks from the remainder of the concert

I've said before this is not my fave KC era but it's difficult to *not* buy these box sets, especially if a good deal is to be had. Just pre-ordered from Deep Discount using "FALL15" code (good until noon Thursday)....total came to $100.25 plus I'll get 3% back for using the "ebates" link.

FYI, According to Burning Shed, the release date for all of the King Crimson 80s releases has been pushed back by another week.
"Beat", "Three of a Perfect Pair", and the "On (and Off) the Road 1981-1984" releases will now be released on October 28th.

Does anyone who has attended the King Crimson 2016 tour have the new 2016 tour box?
If so, please get in touch with me! I would very much like to hear one of the tracks on the tour box! Thanks! :)

Back