Santana's debut album on MoFi SACD....now shipping

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll be putting in my order for Santana as soon as Patricia Barber - Cafe Blue Un-Mastered comes out supposedly on the 11th.

If you're looking for a hi-res version of the first Santana album there's an excellent 96/24 download available at Qobuz and HDTracks (and maybe others) for half the price of this SACD. The sound quality is excellent as is the dynamic range - all the tracks are DR11 or DR12.

Even if the MoFi SACD was better somehow, there's no way I'd give them $30 for a product that has now effectively permanently prevented the release of the (excellent) Larry Keyes/Al Lawrence quad mix of this album on SACD.

SteelyDave posted: Even if the MoFi SACD was better somehow, there's no way I'd give them $30 for a product that has now effectively permanently prevented the release of the (excellent) Larry Keyes/Al Lawrence quad mix of this album on SACD.[/QUOTE]

The same goes for MoFi's upcoming Abraxas Stereo [only] SACD. For now I have to make do with the problematic DTS 5.1 surround RBCD. Also QUADBLOCKED by MoFi.

Got my order in today with Music Direct. Along with the Patricia Barber un-mastered SACD. Sent by the free Pony Express so may take awhile to arrive.

...there's no way I'd give them $30 for a product that has now effectively permanently prevented the release of the (excellent) Larry Keyes/Al Lawrence quad mix of this album on SACD.

My feelings exactly. It almost seems like MoFi is going out of their way to choose releases that have quad mixes (and failing to include them) just to prevent Audio Fidelity from doing so.:mad:

My feelings exactly. It almost seems like MoFi is going out of their way to choose releases that have quad mixes (and failing to include them) just to prevent Audio Fidelity from doing so.:mad:

It's just not quad related recordings...they just sit on a lot of titles...I just don't understand why they do it...they pay the license fees and in some cases don't release them...some of these titles have been in limbo for 2 years...

Well, Mobile Fidelity, Analogue Productions and all of the reissue companies license albums that they believe have strong potential as SACD reissues in the marketplace.
Since Mobile Fidelity's parent company (Music Direct) sells SACDs - including the ones from Audio Fidelity - I doubt they have any ill-will or bad intentions aimed at Audio Fidelity.

In fact, I can tell you that I saw Marshall Blonstein visiting the Music Direct and Acoustic Sounds booths at The Show Newport a year ago and the conversations and connections were very positive and friendly.
Just as I would have guessed.

Showed up today....
santana_1_frontback.jpg

I verified that there is no multi-channel track on the disk.
Check out the date 2015 on it. Have they been sitting on it for awhile?
No booklet as usual.
This was one of the first Columbia 3 3/4 IPS reels back in the day.
I returned it to them claiming it had too much tape hiss.
They sent another out but I don't know what I ever did with it.
At least it had the really nice back picture on it, missing from the MFSL SACD.

Last edited:
Showed up today....
santana_1_frontback.jpg

I verified that there is no multi-channel track on the disk.
Check out the date 2015 on it. Have they been sitting on it for awhile?
No booklet as usual.
This was one of the first Columbia 3 3/4 IPS reels back in the day.
I returned it to them claiming it had too much tape hiss.
They sent another out but I don't know what I ever did with it.
At least it had the really nice back picture on it, missing from the MFSL SACD.

Seems like another cash grab from MoFi: NO multichannel.....why are you surprised Cupboy? They don't do multichannel!

As for NO booklet.......that seems to be a trend nowadays with MoFi.

And those 3 3/4 ips Columbia "gems." I Have a slew of them. I'll never forget when Sgt. Pepper came out.....on Capitol 3 3/4ips Open Reel.....or as I called it the waning days of Open Reel only to be followed by Cassettes operating at (gulp!) 1 7/8 ips.

Seems like another cash grab from MoFi: NO multichannel.....why are you surprised Cupboy? They don't do multichannel!

As for NO booklet.......that seems to be a trend nowadays with MoFi.

And those 3 3/4 ips Columbia "gems." I Have a slew of them. I'll never forget when Sgt. Pepper came out.....on Capitol 3 3/4ips Open Reel.....or as I called it the waning days of Open Reel only to be followed by Cassettes operating at (gulp!) 1 7/8 ips.
... not surprised at all. I knew what I was buying. I mostly needed a 2nd item to buy along with the Barber un-mastered SACD to get free shipping.
As for Pepper it did come out later at the proper speed...
pepper7.jpg

The Santana I SACD arrived here today. Great job by Shawn Britton at Mobile Fidelity on the transfer and remastering.
One of the best of the year.

Back