Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
not a movie but a commercial

Walmart has 2 pretty kick ass commercials out right now in surround:

The Youngbloods - Get Together

Bee Gees - Night Fever

Maybe we should start a surround commercial thread?

just upgraded to an atmos 9.1.2 system (to a Pioneer SC-97) from a 7.1 system (Pioneer VSX-53) and Mad Max: Fury Road BD (atmos) is OMG Insane!

I watched this BD in 7.1 previously on my 7.1 system and I'm literally hearing things I never heard before not only in every scene but every moment

It's like Night and Day

just upgraded to an atmos 9.1.2 system (to a Pioneer SC-97) from a 7.1 system (Pioneer VSX-53) and Mad Max: Fury Road BD (atmos) is OMG Insane!

I watched this BD in 7.1 previously on my 7.1 system and I'm literally hearing things I never heard before not only in every scene but every moment

It's like Night and Day

OMG. I have my speakers in place for 7.1.2. Just can't do atmos with my VSX-70... So a similar upgrade is my future, though maybe a couple of years out.

For those who have upgraded to 4K [players and flatscreen] I direct your attention to a brand new [sourced from TRUE 4K original camera negative sources] UHD 4K remaster of BLADE RUNNER [the FINAL cut] available on September 5th.

READ the review from Blu~ray.com: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Blade-Runner-4K-Blu-ray/181637/#Review

It seems this UHD 4K remaster is superior in every conceivable way to the 4K remastered standard 1080p BD~V [which is NOT always the case*] and that the original 5.1 soundtrack has been likewise vastly improved with the addition of a Dolby Atmos upgrade.

*NOTE: A lot of the new 4K UHD discs have been sourced from 2K masters which have basically been UPCONVERSIONS.

I finally got around to watching the remastered Heat BD (you can't just "throw on" Heat/Apocalypse Now/The Shining, etc. You gotta earn it!). I made a few mental notes for anyone who is on the fence or who hasn't checked this new BD release out:

Step 1: Crank it. Loud.

Audio:
1. DTS-MA 5.1 is head and shoulders above the Dolby TrueHD on the initial BD. Had to straighten the hallway pictures after I'd sat through Moby's awesome synths.
2. I've seen Heat ~20 times and heard things on the new BD that I haven't heard before (motorbikes, lots more ambience and discreet sounds coming from the rear speakers, more defined separation between centre and front speakers, more detail in the score).
3. The gunfight: Incredible.
4. Wes Studi shooting out Henry Rollins' door hinges rumbled the couch.
5. Helicopters were deafening. I dropped the volume for the airport chase at the end in case the jet engines made the KEFs pop a cog.

Picture:
6. Tip top. Way more detail. It looks brand new.
7. No ghosting as Neil exits the train in the beginning.
8. No sudden light level increases at Edie's apartment while she's on the phone to Neil.

Just one note that when Waingro's hooker is reaching for her purse, there appears to be a few frames missing that I never noticed on the initial BD or the DVD. Not sure if they've always been missing but it was pretty obvious. Not a major though.

Bottom line: It's a must buy. Cheap as too. Puts most other movie gunshot sound effects to shame and worth it for that alone.

Yes, the 4K remastered BD~V of HEAT [especially at the ridiculous $8 price I paid] is well worth adding to your collection.

With Halloween rapidly approaching, AmazonUS is offering 8 UK produced Hammer Horror Films, most remastered from their original Technicolor* negatives/IPs for $22.49, on 4 BD~V 50 discs in glorious MONO.

At less than $3 per movie, I just couldn't resist: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Hammer-Horror-8-Film-Collection-Blu-ray/159350/

*Nightmare and Paranoiac are in Black & White.

The Vietnam War: A Film by Ken Burns and Lynn Novick

https://www.amazon.com/Vietnam-War-Burns-Novick-Blu-ray/dp/B06ZZC6G2B

I'm watching the DD 5.1 on PBS.

Score by Trent and Atticus, Yo-Yo Ma and The Silk Road Ensemble

Many fantastic songs like Sounds of Silence, I Am a Rock, numerous Dylan, etc

Soundtrack: 37 tracks chosen from 120 tunes featured in the film ( https://www.amazon.com/Vietnam-War-Burns-Novick-Soundtrack/dp/B074NLPZW9 )

1. A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall - Bob Dylan
2. Hello Vietnam - Johnny Wright
3. It's My Life - The Animals
4. Eve Of Destruction - Barry McGuire
5. Turn Turn Turn - The Byrds
6. Masters Of War - The Staple Singers
7. Mustang Sally - Wilson Pickett
8. Smokestack Lightnin' - Howlin' Wolf
9. Backlash Blues - Nina Simone Simms
10. The Sound Of Silence - Simon & Garfunkel
11. One Too Many Mornings - Bob Dylan
12. Ain't Too Proud To Beg - The Temptations
13. Are You Experienced? - The Jimi Hendrix Experience
14. I'm A Man - The Spencer Davis Group
15. Green Onions - Booker T & The MG's
16. Strange Brew - Cream
17. Waist Deep In The Big Muddy (Live) - Pete Seeger
18. A Whiter Shade Of Pale - Procol Harum
19. The Lord Is In This Place - Fairport Convention
20. For What It's Worth - Buffalo Springfield

1. Don't Think Twice, It's All Right - Bob Dylan
2. Piece Of My Heart - Big Brother & The Holding Company
3. Magic Carpet Ride - Steppenwolf
4. Tell The Truth - Otis Redding
5. The Letter - The Box Tops
6. Bad Moon Rising - Creedence Clearwater Revival
7. Soul Sacrifice - Santana
8. Okie From Muskogee - Merle Haggard And The Strangers
9. The Thrill Is Gone - B. B. King
10. Psychedelic Shack - The Temptations
11. Ohio - Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young
12. Get Together - The Youngbloods
13. Gimme Shelter - The Rolling Stones
15. America The Beautiful - Ray Charles
16. What's Going On - Marvin Gaye
17. Bridge Over Troubled Water - Simon & Garfunkel
18. Let It Be (Remastered 2015) - The Beatles

I finished the fourth episode and noticed in the credits that it used Genesis' "Ravine" (from The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway).

Last edited:
Tron: Legacy 7.1 is becoming my goto reference disc

I was an original nerd (when I was 14 years old) that thought that the original Tron was the shit (and couldn't be topped) but the legacy 7.1 is such a marvel of 7.1 sound and sight

oh, to be, a 4K Atmos or DTS:X release

"All we ever wanted was everything"

BTW, here's a screen grab of a scene where Sam walks into Flynn's old arcade and powers on the place for the first time in 20 years and he walks up to the jukebox (even has the cobwebs)

Journey's Separate Ways begins to blast

Here we stand
Worlds apart
Hearts broken in two, two, two
Sleepless nights
Losing ground
I'm reaching for you, you, you

One night will remind you
How we touched
And went our separate ways
If he ever hurts you
True love won't desert you
You know I still love you
Though we touched
And went our separate ways

looks like this: https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?2536-Seeburg-Quadraphonic-Jukebox

and interesting tidbit from IMDB:

The song "Separate Ways (Worlds Apart)" by Journey coming on in the arcade, when Sam turned on the breakers, is ironic in more ways than one. While the song fits in some ways the relationship with his father, it is interesting to note that many of the 45rpm singles made in the early 1980s for jukeboxes of that song, featured the song "Only Solutions" (from the original Tron movie's arcade scene) as the single's B-side. It was common for record companies to put a recent, though out of date, release as the B-side of Jukebox 45s, to maximize band airplay in those machines.

Attachments

• tron-quad.jpg
    tron-quad.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 236
Last edited:
Saw Bladerunner 2049 in an Atmos theater on the weekend.
Sat in the sweet zone and tried to be mindful of the soundtrack.

Lots of LFE effects, a wide sound field with natural panning.
Was most conscious of the full Atmos immersive experience was during a quiet scene in a cavernous underground bunker.
Heard water dripping from all around behind the dialog.

Saw Bladerunner 2049 in an Atmos theater on the weekend.
Sat in the sweet zone and tried to be mindful of the soundtrack.

Lots of LFE effects, a wide sound field with natural panning.
Was most conscious of the full Atmos immersive experience was during a quiet scene in a cavernous underground bunker.
Heard water dripping from all around behind the dialog.

The sound level was brutally high when I saw the movie, making the dialogue difficult to make out -- actually wanted subtitles at one point! However, little effects like the water dripping that you mentioned really did stand out.

That said, the combo of great visuals and sound really did make it seem like time had passed and technology had progressed since the events of the first film.

I caught the first four episodes of Netflix's fantastic STRANGER THINGS, Season 1 tonight via a Target Exclusive 2 BD~V/2DVD~V release and am totally hooked.

I know it was broadcast in 4K with a DD 5.1 soundtrack, but the Target 'exclusive' comes in a very clever VHS style box with a two layered tray holding the discs and according to Blu~ray.com, the 1080p Video is every bit the equal of the somewhat compressed 4K broadcast with Dolby True HD 5.1 Lossless audio which sounds fantastic on my system. And the 80's musical choices are likewise excellent:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Stranger-Things-Season-1-Blu-ray/190502/#Review

As one reviewer stated: VERY reminiscent of 80's Spielberg and John Carpenter classics!

Regarding the very clever packaging: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWNPnC0Pyjs

I will definitely watch episodes 5~8 tonight.

Fright Night has the vampire flying overhead and behind. Nice effects and a fun movie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I caught the first four episodes of Netflix's fantastic STRANGER THINGS, Season 1 tonight via a Target Exclusive 2 BD~V/2DVD~V release and am totally hooked.

I know it was broadcast in 4K with a DD 5.1 soundtrack, but the Target 'exclusive' comes in a very clever VHS style box with a two layered tray holding the discs and according to Blu~ray.com, the 1080p Video is every bit the equal of the somewhat compressed 4K broadcast with Dolby True HD 5.1 Lossless audio which sounds fantastic on my system. And the 80's musical choices are likewise excellent:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Stranger-Things-Season-1-Blu-ray/190502/#Review

As one reviewer stated: VERY reminiscent of 80's Spielberg and John Carpenter classics!

Regarding the very clever packaging: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWNPnC0Pyjs

I will definitely watch episodes 5~8 tonight.

Yeah Great Series - think Season 2 starts tomorrow :banana:

so, of course, I'm watching Halloween (1978) in DD 5.1 on tv tonight, just because Jamie Lee Curtis is so hot, as well as Nancy Kyes

anyway, the sound is a bit of a jumbled mess (not that bad) but one thing I can give John Carpenter high marks for is the sound effects

he is the King of "suspenseful" sound effects, basically all the "scary" sound effects are discrete whereas the core of the movie is traditional 5.1

this guy knew "suspenseful" surround, subtlety applied yet violent when applied

so, of course, I'm watching Halloween (1978) in DD 5.1 on tv tonight, just because Jamie Lee Curtis is so hot, as well as Nancy Kyes

anyway, the sound is a bit of a jumbled mess (not that bad) but one thing I can give John Carpenter high marks for is the sound effects

he is the King of "suspenseful" sound effects, basically all the "scary" sound effects are discrete whereas the core of the movie is traditional 5.1

this guy knew "suspenseful" surround, subtlety applied yet violent when applied

Great movie!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back