Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Blade Runner (1982) bluray has an excellent surround mix and the score is great too.

For those who have upgraded to 4K [players and flatscreen] I direct your attention to a brand new [sourced from TRUE 4K original camera negative sources] UHD 4K remaster of BLADE RUNNER [the FINAL cut] available on September 5th.

READ the review from Blu~ray.com: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Blade-Runner-4K-Blu-ray/181637/#Review

It seems this UHD 4K remaster is superior in every conceivable way to the 4K remastered standard 1080p BD~V [which is NOT always the case*] and that the original 5.1 soundtrack has been likewise vastly improved with the addition of a Dolby Atmos upgrade.

*NOTE: A lot of the new 4K UHD discs have been sourced from 2K masters which have basically been UPCONVERSIONS.

Blade Runner 4k

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Blade-Runner-4K-Blu-ray/181637/

Now that is what a movie should Look and Sound like. Wow!

This is by far the best Dolby Atmos I have heard in any movie, not to mention one of the best surround mixes.

Totally discrete and immersive, just beautiful.

Reference disc that will be hard to top. This is the DSOTM of Atmos and 4K

"If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes"

Last edited:
I watched the It remake last night on BD with the Atmos audio track selected and coming out the KEFs as 5.1 Dolby TrueHD (there was a DTS-MA 5.1 mix too but the Sony said the Atmos had a higher bitrate).

A decent and discreet surround mix with nice matching of what's happening on the screen with what's coming out the surrounds. Probably the best new surround mix I've heard since Kong: Skull Island.

The movie itself was pretty average though. Horrible script. Pennywise didn't let out one "Whoop whoop!" shout-out to the Insane Surround Posse either. I was actually hoping that supernatural Juggalo would wipe out all of the kids by the end of it.

One Eight Seven (187) 4k

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B0723BHKVR

DTS-HD MA 5.1

Awesome soundtrack

Slack Hands
Written by Dominic Oakenfull, Robert Bernard Gallagher and Valerie Etienne
Performed by Galliano
Courtesy of Slack Records UK/Talkin' Loud/Mercury Records Limited
By Arrangement with PolyGram Film & TV Licensing

Australian Dawn
Written and Performed by Steve Roach
Courtesy of Celestial Harmonies

Swarm Study
Written and Performed by John Oswald

Spying Glass
Written by Nellee Hooper, Robert Del Naja (as Robert Del Naja), Andrew Vowles (as Andrew Vowles),
Grant Marshall (as Grantley Marshall) and Horace Hinds
Performed by Massive Attack
Courtesy of Circa Records Ltd./Virgin Records

Release Yo' Delf
(Prodigy Mix)
Written by RZA (as Robert Diggs Jr.), Method Man (as Clifford Smith),
Dino Fekaris and Freddie Perren (as Frederick J. Perren)
Performed by Method Man
Mixed by The Prodigy (as Prodigy)
Courtesy of Def Jam Records

Karmacoma
Written by Robert Del Naja (as Robert Del Naja), Grant Marshall (as Grantley Marshall),
Andrew Vowles (as Andrew Vowles), Tricky (as Adrian Thaws), Tim Norfolk and Robert Locke

Blue in Green
Written and Performed by Miles Davis
Courtesy of Columbia Records
By Arrangement with Sony Music Licensing

Flipside
Written by Ben Watt
Performed by Everything But The Girl
Courtesy of Virgin Records Ltd./Atlantic Recording Corp.
By Arrangement with Warner Special Products

Deep Water
Written by Matt Winn and Ceri Evans
Performed by D'Note
Courtesy of TVT Records

Better Things
Written by Robert Del Naja (as Robert Del Naja), Grant Marshall (as Grantley Marshall),
Andrew Vowles (as Andrew Vowles), Tracey Thorn (as Tracey Thorne), Ben Watt and James Brown

Pregao
Written by Francisco Ribeiro (as Francisco Manuel Pires Ribeiro)
Performed by Madredeus
Courtesy of Blue Note Records, a Division of Capitol Records, Inc.
Under License from EMI-Capitol Music Special Markets

Raincry
Written by Scott Hardkiss
Performed by God Within
Courtesy of Hardkiss Music

Dub Plate Circles
Written by Darren Ellis
Performed by Undercover Agent
Courtesy of Suburban Base Records Ltd.

Labyrinth
Written and Performed by Michael Stearns
Courtesy of Celestial Harmonies

Fables
Written and Performed by David Darling
Courtesy of ECM Records

It's Coming
Written by Dan Grigson
Performed by Grantby
Courtesy of Mo'Wax Recordings/A&M Records Limited, London

Baila Nena
Written by Ernesto Solano
Performed by Banda Maguey
Courtesy of Fonovisa, Inc.

Neither Sing
Written by Xavier Jamaux
Performed by Xavier Jamaux (as Bang Bang)
Courtesy of BMG Music France

Fractal Zoom
Written and Performed by Brian Eno
Courtesy of Opal Records/Warner Bros. Records Inc.
By Arrangement with Warner Special Products

Stem
Written by Patrick Campbell-Lyons, Alex Spyropoulos and DJ Shadow (as Josh Davis)
Performed by DJ Shadow
Courtesy of Mo'Wax Recordings/A&M Records Limited, London

In November
Written and Performed by David Darling
Courtesy of ECM Records

Wilderness
Written by Andrew Valentine
Performed by V-Love
Courtesy of Tongue & Groove Records

Mankind
Written by Jalal Nuriddin and Little Axe (as Bernard Alexander)
Performed by Jalal Nuriddin (as Jalal)
Courtesy of On-U Sound Records

Kong Skull Island is mixed as well as anything I have heard. It is not scared to just have the rears cranking with little to no sounds coming from the fronts and center. Very dynamic but not ridiculously so. Dialog is never over powered as some movies are, especially in this genre.

Kong Skull Island is mixed as well as anything I have heard. It is not scared to just have the rears cranking with little to no sounds coming from the fronts and center. Very dynamic but not ridiculously so. Dialog is never over powered as some movies are, especially in this genre.

Especially effective in 3D with the 3D sonics. TONS of fun...no pun intended. :banana:

Especially effective in 3D with the 3D sonics. TONS of fun...no pun intended. :banana:

I downmixed to 5.1 from the dts-ma 7.1 4k bluray. I have the matching speakers and four conrad-johnson amps to upgrade to 3D audio, just waiting for a processor and more software to make the switch. I am not a big movie fan. Audio is my thing. Raising heavy speakers towards the ceiling will be interesting.

Ya what a surprise that was. I watched it on HBO and was surprised by the mix down using so much of the rear channels. I notice also some TV shows are using more of rear channels also. :mad:@:

Ya what a surprise that was. I watched it on HBO and was surprised by the mix down using so much of the rear channels. I notice also some TV shows are using more of rear channels also. :mad:@:

I watched the 4k version of Watcher which I thought was a better movie but the rears didn't sound near as active as Kong did.

Atomic Blonde - sat through this trollop last night, filled with Bowie music and if you can stand it or just FF to end credits, you get a nice Bowie tune ( in it's entirety!) that was a huge surprise to me- BTW movie sucks
too bad I like Charlize - hot stuff!

Was Bowie ever in a good movie, besides Labyrinth?

I really enjoyed his performance in Merry Xmas Mr. Lawrence. (The movie also has a great soundtrack by Ryuichi Sakamoto.) I also thought his cameo in Zoolander was hysterical. The Man Who Fell to Earth is a cult classic, but I have to be in the right mood to watch it.

Was Bowie ever in a good movie, besides Labyrinth?

Oh absolutely!

Besides the ones already mentioned, I’m a big fan of “The Man Who Fell To Earth”, and he also played Pontius Pilate in “The Last Temptation of Christ”.
Finally, he has a small part in “Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me”.

:)

Oh absolutely!

Besides the ones already mentioned, I’m a big fan of “The Man Who Fell To Earth”, and he also played Pontius Pilate in “The Last Temptation of Christ”.
Finally, he has a small part in “Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me”.

:)

I think one viewing of Man Who Fell to Earth was enough for me, but I do love Last Temptation! Thanks for the reminder. :)

Here are a couple of my recent BD watches with decent surround mixes:

Blade Runner 2049:
1. DTS-MA 5.1 had some decent discreet surround bits, excellent fidelity and is a real couch-rumbler - sub sure got a workout.
2. Music cues were just that (loud, slightly abrasive synth - like that Inception horn that everyone's ripped off ever since) rather than a score like Vangelis' original.
3. I didn't really enjoy the movie though even though the original is one of my favourites and director Denis is great.
4. Worth a look though if you've got nothing else on for 2 hours 40 minutes (it could stand to lose many unnecessary minutes from the run time).

Mother!:
5. Dolby TrueHD 7.1 on my 5.1 system. A super discreet and awesome surround mix. Example: As the camera moves around, off-camera voices move smoothly around your speakers as conversations on screen continue. It's just as every surround mix should be but hardly ever is.
6. Imagine Darren Aronofsky doing a Lars Von Trier movie with smoother handheld camera and you'd be right on the money.
7. I was surprised that I enjoyed it as much as I did.

Back