Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This isn't a movie, but for great action sound effects I highly recommend the Daredevil series on Netflix.

The protagonist is blind, and his acute/enhanced sense of hearing gives him an awareness of surrounding physical detail. The show's sound effects are designed to reflect this. The fight scenes are amazing. Check at 40 minutes into episode 1. Alley fight in a rain storm. Great surround!

The Alien Anthology Blu-ray set, besides having some really good sound, probably has the most exhaustive amount of extras I can think of, or at least that I have. The 5th disc which is all the documentaries created in 2003 for each individual film (even the fourth which I hated) is worth a watch if you're a hound for extras like I am.

I should add that Aliens has included with it, a 4.1 mix

The Color of Money

The 1986 Martin Scorsese sequel to The Hustler

Heard it in DD 5.1 on HBO

Very good surround for such an "old" movie, very "analog" sounding even though it was DD. Very "full" sound, lots of low frequencies, felt like I was literally in a large pool hall in the "old" days with a good sounding jukebox system

A lot of classic tunes

1. Who Own's This Place? - Don Henley
2. It's In The Way You Use It - Eric Clapton/Robbie Robertson
3. Let Yourself In For It - Robert Palmer
4. Don't Tell Me Nothin' - Willie Dixon/Robbie Robertson
5. Two Brothers And A Stranger - Mark Knopfler
6. Standing On The Edge Of Love - B.B. King
7. Modern Blues - Robbie Robertson/Gil Evans
8. Werewolves Of London - Warren Zevon
9. My Baby's In Love With Another Guy - Robert Palmer
10. Main Title - Robbie Robertson/Gil Evans

Demolition Man

just posting, not because the 5.1 surround track of the movie is anything special (it's not) but because the title song, sung at the end by Sting, is the weirdest 5.1 song I've ever heard. It's completely reversed where the lead vocals come out of front right and front left and the background female vocals come completely out of the center. It's bizarre.

Demolition Man

just posting, not because the 5.1 surround track of the movie is anything special (it's not) but because the title song, sung at the end by Sting, is the weirdest 5.1 song I've ever heard. It's completely reversed where the lead vocals come out of front right and front left and the background female vocals come completely out of the center. It's bizarre.

That reminds me of a low budget horror (can't remember the title) BD I rented where the 5.1 DTS-MA mix was all messed up. It was like it had been rotated about 90 degrees anticlockwise with the front action coming from the side. Weird. It got switched off pretty quickly.

On another note, The Fountain (2006) BD has a decent surround mix with off-screen dialogue coming from the surrounds, some cool forest noises and a great score.

The Color of Money

The 1986 Martin Scorsese sequel to The Hustler

Heard it in DD 5.1 on HBO

Very good surround for such an "old" movie, very "analog" sounding even though it was DD. Very "full" sound, lots of low frequencies, felt like I was literally in a large pool hall in the "old" days with a good sounding jukebox system

A lot of classic tunes

1. Who Own's This Place? - Don Henley
2. It's In The Way You Use It - Eric Clapton/Robbie Robertson
3. Let Yourself In For It - Robert Palmer
4. Don't Tell Me Nothin' - Willie Dixon/Robbie Robertson
5. Two Brothers And A Stranger - Mark Knopfler
6. Standing On The Edge Of Love - B.B. King
7. Modern Blues - Robbie Robertson/Gil Evans
8. Werewolves Of London - Warren Zevon
9. My Baby's In Love With Another Guy - Robert Palmer
10. Main Title - Robbie Robertson/Gil Evans

My favorite Scorsese movie. He knows how to use sound.

I should add this in.
However, there is one diamond in the rough on that release, and that is the title song (by Paul McCartney & Wings) is a fully discrete 5.1 surround mix that sounds absolutely incredible!

I may be wrong, but I believe that although the movie is 5.1, L&LD is actually in the original quad mix.

The Art of Flight Blu-ray

Dolby TrueHD 7.1

Artist Song
Defrag Element 1
M83 Outro
Hendrickson/Dick/Harry Before the Storm
Deadmau5 Ghosts n’ Stuff (Nero Remix)
Oswin Macintosh Passion Victim
The Naked and Famous No Way
Apparat Ash/Black Veil
Klaus Badelt Nowhere to Run
Blockhead Sunday Seance (Loka Remix)
The Album Leaf Another Day
The Naked and Famous Young Blood
Mel Wesson Motional Rescue Pulse
Mel Wesson Stark Light
Sigur Ros Track 6
M83 Intro
Hum Iron Clad Lou
The Black Angels Young Men Dead
M83 My Tears Are Becoming A Sea
Okkervil River Westfall
We Are Augustines Chapel Song

Last edited:
The Rolling Stones: Gimme Shelter (The Criterion Collection) Blu-ray

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Gimme-Shelter-Blu-ray/7113/#Review

Note: According to director Albert Maysles, future Star Wars director George Lucas was one of the cameramen at the event. Unfortunately, due to technical issues with his camera, the footage he shot did not make it into the film.

"Wild Horses" (in studio at Muscle Shoals) is pretty cool

I have some music from movies in surround, ripped from the Blu Rays that I am working on. Some great tracks from Nightmare Before Xmas!

Blade Runner (1982) bluray has an excellent surround mix and the score is great too.

...after I posted this I was checking out who did the score. The keyboard player/synthesizer is Ian Underwood who played in the Mothers of Invention!

sunshine.jpg

The SciFi flick Sunshine are using the rear speakers very effective in the surround-mix. And the music-score is great!!!

I love this movie!

But of course - newer movies with a good Atmos-mix - like the last Star Trek movie, is something completely different.

Blade Runner (1982) bluray has an excellent surround mix and the score is great too.

...after I posted this I was checking out who did the score. The keyboard player/synthesizer is Ian Underwood who played in the Mothers of Invention!

Didn't know that, just thought Vangelis did everything himself in the electronics department.

Pete Townshend was originally offered the chance to score the film but turned it down. He worked with the editor on the film version of Tommy, who suggested to Ridley Scott they ask him to do the music.

Back