Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Didn't know that, just thought Vangelis did everything himself in the electronics department.

Pete Townshend was originally offered the chance to score the film but turned it down. He worked with the editor on the film version of Tommy, who suggested to Ridley Scott they ask him to do the music.

The new transfer and 5.1 mix along with the new scene edits is a must watch/listen for EVERYONE, even if someone, like me, really didn't get into it the first time around. The visuals WERE a very dark presentation, NOW, because of the quality transfer, look vivid and colorful. ...thanks for the Pete background story, I didn't run across that info.

Just watched "Fight Club" again on Blu-ray last night... great surround sound mix... in the extra's there are all kinds of goodies expanding on the sound mixing for this film... if there is still anyone out there who hasn't seen this, it's mind blowing and super fun!!

Just watched "Fight Club" again on Blu-ray last night... great surround sound mix... in the extra's there are all kinds of goodies expanding on the sound mixing for this film... if there is still anyone out there who hasn't seen this, it's mind blowing and super fun!!

And SUPER cheap, as well: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Fight-Club-Blu-ray/5587/#Review

And notice in the review, the sound quality [audio] did garner a 5 (out of 5)!

Just watched Deepwater Horizon, a lot of rear channel action on this one - made it extra creepy.

I have worked on a couple of floating rigs myself, under construction - as an electrician (or was it science officer?) . Scary shit :yikes

Point Break (the remake): http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Point-Break-3D-Blu-ray/147663/

I saw it on HBO with DD 5.1 and it sounded good, lots of deep bass

The blu-ray says DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 so I'm sure the blu-ray sounds even better

score by Tom Holkenborg who also scored:

300: Rise of an Empire
The Amazing Spider-Man 2
Mad Max: Fury Road
Black Mass

I recently saw the remake of POINT BREAK in 3D on FIOS. First of all, it has been compared [VERY unfavorably] to the original and IMO it's a way different movie and the action scenes, especially in 3D, are awesome and were actually performed in real time for the movie. BTW, for those of you with 3D capable TVs, Mad Max Fury Road and The Amazing Spider Man 2 are also available in superb, eye~popping 3D.

Fox will be releasing the new edition of Heat stateside in May, but you can already get the one out in the UK as the discs are region-free (despite the packaging saying otherwise). Mine came in last week. This was the first time I've watched it in full surround-sound. One noticeable difference I heard was interesting. In the scene where De Niro and Amy Brenneman's characters meet, you can hear this very subtle rhythmic thing suggesting tension underneath, until you see Neil McCauley drop his guard a little for this woman just being polite to him.

Fox will be releasing the new edition of Heat stateside in May, but you can already get the one out in the UK as the discs are region-free (despite the packaging saying otherwise). Mine came in last week. This was the first time I've watched it in full surround-sound. One noticeable difference I heard was interesting. In the scene where De Niro and Amy Brenneman's characters meet, you can hear this very subtle rhythmic thing suggesting tension underneath, until you see Neil McCauley drop his guard a little for this woman just being polite to him.

Thanks onthewall2983. I hadn't noticed this on the Dolby TrueHD BD (just a bit of background chatter and glasses clinking in that scene) but I intend on getting this new BD release at some stage.

Does the gunfire still pack the wallop we all know and love?

I saw some screenshot comparisons on dvdbeaver and there appears to be a bit more colour in the new release. I could probably fiddle with the TV settings to approximate it but I might as well buy it again. It won't be the only movie that I've got more than one BD release of! Plus, it's Heat. What a gem.

you guys have to get Dr Strange! It is a sonic treat, with use of the rears and it was done very well. Plus it's eye candy, they save the best for last.

One BluRay that sounded great was something I didn't expect to be great was 'Hellboy' it's a great movie and the 5.1 sound is stunning!
I just found out there is Hellboy 2. I'll get that as well.

Thanks onthewall2983. I hadn't noticed this on the Dolby TrueHD BD (just a bit of background chatter and glasses clinking in that scene) but I intend on getting this new BD release at some stage.

Does the gunfire still pack the wallop we all know and love?

I saw some screenshot comparisons on dvdbeaver and there appears to be a bit more colour in the new release. I could probably fiddle with the TV settings to approximate it but I might as well buy it again. It won't be the only movie that I've got more than one BD release of! Plus, it's Heat. What a gem.

On the laser disc version of Heat in 5.1 I almost blew my subwoofer when the jets were flying by towards the end.

Most movies I can't tell u how many times I have answer the door. Or phone and no. One is ever there. This has been happening since the VHS days and Dolby surround.

Sent from my VS425PP using Tapatalk

you guys have to get Dr Strange! It is a sonic treat, with use of the rears and it was done very well. Plus it's eye candy, they save the best for last.

I finally managed to find a 3D BD~V of Doctor Strange and will be watching it tonight. From all accounts it's supposed to be one of the better Marvel epics. Can't wait.:banana:

Who ever mixed the audio sure knew what surround is, and how to use it

Sent from my VS425PP using Tapatalk

The VERY ecstatic review at Blu~ray.com regarding the audio of Doctor Strange certainly substantiates that: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Doctor-Strange-3D-Blu-ray/156248/#Review

Ironically, the [NOW] hard to find 3D version [which includes a 2D BD~V/DVD and a cool 3D lenticular insert] of Doctor Strange was the same price as a MoFi or AP Stereo SACD [$29.95 @ Best Buy]. If only the Doctor Strange remixing gurus could tackle some of those classic Rock albums!:yikes

Last edited:
If only the Doctor Strange remixing gurus could tackle some of those classic Rock albums!:yikes

that's been my contention all along.

I have no idea why these record labels hire "music" mixers to remix for surround their SACD's, etc when they should just use the "movie" industry because the movie industry is so much more advanced nowadays when it comes to mixing sound.

The reverse is also true, I have no idea why experts like Elliot Scheiner mix for record labels when he could be mixing movies (and probably getting paid a heck of a lot more).

that's been my contention all along.

I have no idea why these record labels hire "music" mixers to remix for surround their SACD's, etc when they should just use the "movie" industry because the movie industry is so much more advanced nowadays when it comes to mixing sound.

The reverse is also true, I have no idea why experts like Elliot Scheiner mix for record labels when he could be mixing movies (and probably getting paid a heck of a lot more).

Your first statement is positively true and woefully overdue. But it also involves a different set of skills as they're really two such diverse mediums.

As far as mixing for movies........With the long delays, reshoots and endless collaborations involved.....it's WAY more involved than working basically alone in a studio with the master tapes and the occasional input from the artists involved. I'm sure you've seen the endless credits trailing a film.......Sometimes well over a thousand+ people are involved with any given 'epic' production and doubtful either Mr Scheiner or Mr Wilson would have the infinite patience it takes to 'collaborate' with all the 'prima donnas' involved. But you are right.....the $$$$ is WAY better....and probably is the reason mixers sway their talents towards the film industry.

I didn't see it mentioned but might have missed it - Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World is an incredible demonstration in surround sound. The naval battles in particular use the surrounds dramatically, but the whole movie uses the surround channels well.

Went to see
"Ghost in the shell" AGAIN -but this time in 3D (in Spanish, though...and then the Spaniards keep bitching how their English SUCKS!!!!! Well, for one thing....GO SEE THE MOVIES IN ENGLISH, not DUBBED)

3D is the way to go here... I LOVE the "PanAm" (yes , the AIRLINE) ad that is featured for about 2 seconds in the background....

Lots of eye candy and the Surrounds have a LOT of action....

I'm currently watching a golden oldie, Dirty Harry on Blu-Ray, and the Dolby TrueHD sound phenomenal. It's basically Mono in the Center, except for the stunning Lalo Schifrin soundtrack which was remixed in 3.1 with excellent ambiance in the rears. I think the result is superb, especially with the amazing film transfer. (y)

Back