Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recently watched: Hunt For The Wilderpeople (2016) and apart from enjoying the Kiwi humor got a pleasant surprise with the surround soundtrack. Very well done.

I'm currently watching a golden oldie, Dirty Harry on Blu-Ray, and the Dolby TrueHD sound phenomenal. It's basically Mono in the Center, except for the stunning Lalo Schifrin soundtrack which was remixed in 3.1 with excellent ambiance in the rears. I think the result is superb, especially with the amazing film transfer. (y)

Agreed. Saw it the other night (I think it was HBO, not sure) and even though it was DD 5.1 (for broadcast as opposed to the blu-ray Dolby True-HD) I couldn't help but think the whole time I was watching it thinking "Damn, this sounds (and looks) pretty darn good for a 1971 movie".

I'm also a big "Zodiac" killer "self-investigator" (they still to this day in 2017 do not know the Zodiac's true identity (that's almost 50 years)) and the timing of the movie in 1971 with the huge Zodiac influence really made this movie fantastic.

At that time San Fran was in a panicked frenzy due to Zodiac. David Finchers 2007 Zodiac is also fantastic with an excellent soundtrack, my personal favorite being Donovan's "The Hurdy Gurdy Man"

Agreed. Saw it the other night (I think it was HBO, not sure) and even though it was DD 5.1 (for broadcast as opposed to the blu-ray Dolby True-HD) I couldn't help but think the whole time I was watching it thinking "Damn, this sounds (and looks) pretty darn good for a 1971 movie".

I'm also a big "Zodiac" killer "self-investigator" (they still to this day in 2017 do not know the Zodiac's true identity (that's almost 50 years)) and the timing of the movie in 1971 with the huge Zodiac influence really made this movie fantastic.

At that time San Fran was in a panicked frenzy due to Zodiac. David Fincher's 2007 Zodiac is also fantastic with an excellent soundtrack, my personal favorite being Donovan's "The Hurdy Gurdy Man"

Indeed, Zodiac is another fab one. The lake scene and the basement scene are so spooky it's mad. I've recently purchased the 2 discs Blu-Ray set from an Amazon Marketplace seller and he added the perfect touch to his invoice. :D

Zodiac_zpsl915kytt.jpg

As intriguing as the mystery surrounding The Zodiac Killer is, the one that really blows my mind is The Golden State Killer. Now that is a really scary story. When you start digging into it, it can become quite an obsession. That is one that I would love to see solved.

LA LA LAND: Where do I begin? Purchased the 4K/BD~V combo and watched La La Land in 1080p last night on my projector and was startled that the two leads, Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling absolutely cannot sing and their dancing is passable (No Fred/Ginger...that's for damn sure). Composer Justin Hurwitz's score was nice, but again, nothing to keep George Gershwin and Cole Porter awake at night.

Academy Award material..........hardly but then not having seen Moonlight, this year's Academy Award recipient for Best Picture [which some say was WAY overrated], one does not know what to expect anymore.

As a rental, YES but be forewarned....although the visuals and sound design are stunning (heard it's even better in 4K but have to get up the courage to finally watch it AGAIN in that format on my OLED TV], IF I was a director casting a musical........I think choosing two non singers for the leads would not be in one's best interest.

Gosling, who's a fine actor, spent 3 grueling months perfecting his piano skills and actually was pretty amazing at performing in a jazz setting but please, Ryan......NO MORE MUSICALS.(n)

Director Damien Chazelle's previous effort Whiplash starring Miles Teller and the always engaging J K Simmons was, IMO, far superior....marching to the beat of a far different drum!

Last edited:
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. II in 3D (and IN ENGLISH!)---
Besides the Eye Candy EVERYWHERE (the opening shot in the country side zooming in into the 79 Mustang is one of the best 3D shots I've seen so far...that and I read that it was shot in the digital equivalent of VistaVision), the inclusion of "Mr Blue Sky" (which has been making a lot of appearances in movies) AND of "Surrender" as part of the "Mix Tape" , is overall, pretty cool...

It was funny and had some great surround moments...

Highly recommendable...two thumbs up!

history of the world.jpg
I just finished watching this very nice documentary. Although there is no new information here the 3D effects are stunning. A real 3D tour de force. Lots of CGI and lots of time lapse that are really neat. I looked up the user reviews on Amazon and the only people who don't like it are the bible thumpers who hate science.

View attachment 29412
I just finished watching this very nice documentary. Although there is no new information here the 3D effects are stunning. A real 3D tour de force. Lots of CGI and lots of time lapse that are really neat. I looked up the user reviews on Amazon and the only people who don't like it are the bible thumpers who hate science.

Thanks! I'm lovin' the hell out of my 3D TV, so this sounds like a must.

Thanks! I'm lovin' the hell out of my 3D TV, so this sounds like a must.

Glad you love it edison. I feel sorry for all the people who only watch 2D, they have no idea what they are missing. I forgot to mention the best thing, I only paid $4 plus $4 shipping for the disc.

open season.jpg
Another winner and only $12 including shipping. It's a kids movie and it has a dorky story but the 3d is exceptional and the characters are as cute as can be, especially the mallard, skunks and the porcupine.

View attachment 29431
Another winner and only $12 including shipping. It's a kids movie and it has a dorky story but the 3d is exceptional and the characters are as cute as can be, especially the mallard, skunks and the porcupine.

Although I think it's on the 2nd movie, one of my ALL TIME HEROES is Roger the cat...He only has a couple of lines but I QUOTE THEM A LOT!!!!!

BTW, got all 3 of them...

"it's ze food of oppression!!!"

I saw all four hours of Long Strange Trip in one sitting this afternoon at the campus art house theater.
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/l...ong-strange-trip-10-things-we-learned-w483947

Sat in the back row and listened for surround content.
Since it's a documentary with talking heads more than a concert film, it was of course front-centered.

It definitely has some action in the rears, but not a lot beyond a little ambience.
The most used effect was when there was narration over a live performance, the sound field would spread wide front and rear and with voiceover in the middle.

A few brief but dramatic and effective whip-arounds, one re-created from the tape recorder loop delay announcements from the original Trips Festival, another a trip dissolve of California Governor Reagan condemning psychedelic light shows at a rock concert.

This will be serialized on Amazon Prime starting June 2.

To sum up, hearing this in surround added a little spice, but it would be just as enjoyable in 2.0.
Highly recommended as a historic document, not so much as a surround experience.

View attachment 29431

Seiler buddy, this one has a great great soundtrack with a lot of songs by Paul Westerberg of The Replacements, also one song by The Talking Heads :banana:

Seiler buddy, this one has a great great soundtrack with a lot of songs by Paul Westerberg of The Replacements, also one song by The Talking Heads :banana:

You are right. I loved the soundtrack and the surround sound.

Psycho 50th Anniversary Blu-ray

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Psycho-Blu-ray/7741/

not because it's one of the greatest movies of all time but more specifically because they mixed this 1960 originally mono movie into 5.1 surround.

AND more specifically because there is an extra on the blu-ray that I didn't discover until today that is called Psycho Sound and is a 9 min HD featurette explaining how the sound mixers separated the mono track into 5.1 surround and the choices they had to make. Pretty cool that Universal Studios was as excited about surround that they chose to include "the making of" it on the disc.

Hitch even made a cameo (who knew? lol): http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/screenshot.php?movieid=7741&position=1

Last edited:
I got Eureka's release of 1981's The Entity on BD and watched it the other night.

The DTS-MA 5.1 shows pretty good use of the surround channels and the fidelity is head and shoulders above the DVD as you'd expect.

I watched it pretty loud and had to turn it down in some places to prevent the hairs on the back of my neck standing up even further. Man, this flick still freaks me out.

https://www.eurekavideo.co.uk/classics/entity

Also recently got this release of Koyaanisqatsi on BD: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product...sfl_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLEhttps://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B017MIMP1Y/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

A gem of a movie in all regards. Fidelity is great and Phillip Glass' score is a good one to crank up. Ron Fricke is the man.

Last edited:
Back