Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Ghost And The Darkness

very full, lots of deep bass, good separation and some cool African (Masai) tribal music

Psycho 50th Anniversary Blu-ray

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Psycho-Blu-ray/7741/

not because it's one of the greatest movies of all time but more specifically because they mixed this 1960 originally mono movie into 5.1 surround.

AND more specifically because there is an extra on the blu-ray that I didn't discover until today that is called Psycho Sound and is a 9 min HD featurette explaining how the sound mixers separated the mono track into 5.1 surround and the choices they had to make. Pretty cool that Universal Studios was as excited about surround that they chose to include "the making of" it on the disc.

Hitch even made a cameo (who knew? lol): http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/screenshot.php?movieid=7741&position=1

Ordered for $12 on Amerzon

"Hitch even made a cameo (who knew? lol): "

Hitch makes a cameo in just about every movie he has ever made.;)

The Ghost And The Darkness

very full, lots of deep bass, good separation and some cool African (Masai) tribal music

Thanks for the heads-up. I'll have to pick this BD up one day soon. The last time I watched it was on DVD years ago and prior to that was numerous times on VHS in the 90's. Great flick and an awesome story too (worth a read of the book "The Maneaters of Tsavo" too). I remember when it came out and stuck around the cinemas for months, it was so popular.

I have no idea where to post this so please direct me.

I was watching Jim Jarmusch's Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai which is a spectacular movie but the surround is average to terrible so I'm not recommending it because of it's surround.

Anyway, I heard the song Armagideon Time by Willi Williams (which I think is an awesome song but not so great surround since it was obviously recorded in stereo in 1977).

But then I wikipedia'd the film and found that some songs on the film's soundtrack, including Armagideon Time by Willi Williams, were included on the GTA (Grand Theft Auto) San Andreas PlayStation game.

Well, I have a PlayStation and believe that this game is 5.1 surround so would the song Armagideon Time by Willi Williams be an upmix or true discrete on the game?

Also, wiki says http://gta.wikia.com/wiki/K-JAH_West that these songs are also included on the GTA game:

Black Harmony - "Don't Let It Go to Your Head" (1979)*
Blood Sisters - "Ring My Bell" (1979)*
Shabba Ranks - "Wicked Inna Bed" (1990)
Buju Banton - "Batty Rider" (1992)
Augustus Pablo - "King Tubby Meets The Rockers Uptown" (1976)
Dennis Brown - "Revolution" (1983)
Willi Williams - "Armagideon Time" (1978)
I-Roy - "Sidewalk Killer" (1972)
Toots & The Maytals - "Funky Kingston" (1973)
Dillinger - "Cocaine In My Brain" (1978)
Toots & The Maytals - "Pressure Drop" (1970)
Pliers - "Bam Bam" (1993)
Barrington Levy - "Here I Come" (1984)
Reggie Stepper - "Drum Pan Sound" (1990)
Black Uhuru - "Great Train Robbery" (1986)
Max Romeo & The Upsetters - "Chase the Devil" (1976)

Apparantly the navigation is:

Playback FM • K Rose • K-DST • Bounce FM • SF-UR • Radio Los Santos • Radio X • CSR 103.9 • K-JAH West • Master Sounds 98.3 • WCTR • User Track Player

are these songs actually in 5.1 on the game or are they upmixes or discrete remixes (which I highly doubt)?

IOW, maybe we need a thread that includes surround mixes on PlayStation games like we have a thread for surround mixes on movies?

I'm not a gamer myself so don't really know these answers but I do know that game producers spend A LOT of money on their production so it wouldn't suprise me that games include some pretty terrific surround upmixes if not just straight up discrete surround remixes.

I know that Guitar Heroes or whatever apparently have some pretty discrete surround elements that people actually use to create their own surround mixes so wouldn't some high end games (like GTA) be similar?

The Art of Flight Blu-ray

Dolby TrueHD 7.1

Artist Song
Defrag Element 1
M83 Outro
Hendrickson/Dick/Harry Before the Storm
Deadmau5 Ghosts n’ Stuff (Nero Remix)
Oswin Macintosh Passion Victim
The Naked and Famous No Way
Apparat Ash/Black Veil
Klaus Badelt Nowhere to Run
Blockhead Sunday Seance (Loka Remix)
The Album Leaf Another Day
The Naked and Famous Young Blood
Mel Wesson Motional Rescue Pulse
Mel Wesson Stark Light
Sigur Ros Track 6
M83 Intro
Hum Iron Clad Lou
The Black Angels Young Men Dead
M83 My Tears Are Becoming A Sea
Okkervil River Westfall
We Are Augustines Chapel Song

bump for the thump

The Black Angels Young Men Dead

Fire for the hills pick up your feet and lets go
Head for the hills pick up steel on your way
And when you find a piece of them in your sight
Fire at will don't you waste no time

Another thought of the unaware
Addiction in disguise
With a drop of blood
You will take them out for me

Fire from the hills pick up speed and lets go
Fire for real yeah shoot to kill with no aim
Head for the hills yes eyes on the camp fire glow
Creep up there like a white mink hiding in snow

And out of the black a figure forms
A soldier in the sky
With a drop of love
Trying to set you free

Run for the hills pick up your feet and lets go
We did our jobs pick up speed now lets move
The trees cant grow without the sun in their eyes
And we can't live if we're too afraid to die

Hold on tight yes hold on tight you're too slow

Fire at the breeze that blows these thoughts through our mind
Hire only thieves to steal the thoughts from our heads

Psycho 50th Anniversary Blu-ray

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Psycho-Blu-ray/7741/

not because it's one of the greatest movies of all time but more specifically because they mixed this 1960 originally mono movie into 5.1 surround.

AND more specifically because there is an extra on the blu-ray that I didn't discover until today that is called Psycho Sound and is a 9 min HD featurette explaining how the sound mixers separated the mono track into 5.1 surround and the choices they had to make. Pretty cool that Universal Studios was as excited about surround that they chose to include "the making of" it on the disc.

Hitch even made a cameo (who knew? lol): http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/screenshot.php?movieid=7741&position=1

Mr Hichcock was in all his films as a cameo like the Marvel series with Stan Lee. also, when this film was released, it caused a huge interest, you were not allowed to enter the theater if you were late more then a few minutes, and you were asked to not reveal the shower scene. When it opened, Hitch stood out side in the lobby, and waited-and he was delighted by the screams. a little trivia

Netflix just started offering Trolls and I was bored enough to watch it. What a surprise. It is rated for 5 to 7 year old's but I don't believe it. Amazing animation, some of which could be described as scrapbook animation. Really well done 5.1 soundtrack featuring some wonderful remakes like Clint Eastwood, Sounds of Silence and Lionel Richie's Hello. Some not very juvenile humor, i.e. "I think I had a sarcasm once". It is a delightful retelling of the Cinderella story buy a bunch of guys doing some psychedelic drugs I have never used. Many great characters including Bridget (voiced by my favorite actress singer Zooey Deschanel and the great trolls with the conjoined hair. trolls.jpg

Many great characters including Bridget (voiced by my favorite actress singer Zooey Deschanel and the great trolls with the conjoined hair.

I just watched Almost Famous again and realized it was Zooey as the sister.

She's hottttttttt

(If only Almost Famous had a proper discrete mix, drool)

Ok. wait, what??

so I'm watching The Shining Blu-ray and see it's a Wendy Carlos Score

(this movie has scared the shit out of me since I was a kid) (the bigger the cabin, the larger the fever)

Intrigued, I googled Wendy Carlos and see she did Tron also, which is one of my favorite movies

but delving deeper into Wendy herself, I see she was born Walter and had a hand into developing the Moog synthesizer

WTF?

where have you been all my life Wendy?

Ok. wait, what??

so I'm watching The Shining Blu-ray and see it's a Wendy Carlos Score

(this movie has scared the shit out of me since I was a kid) (the bigger the cabin, the larger the fever)

Intrigued, I googled Wendy Carlos and see she did Tron also, which is one of my favorite movies

but delving deeper into Wendy herself, I see she was born Walter and had a hand into developing the Moog synthesizer

WTF?

Ever see the poster of 'Here's Johnny!" you hang on the bathroom door??

He (before a she) had a shining moment in the spotlight over the CLOCKWORK ORANGE soundtrack (another Kubrick film, I note). A friend of mine had the album, although last time I saw it, stored away, forgotten in the attic, it was in sad shape and only valued for the cover of Alex with a knife.

Didn't realize Carlos was on THE SHINING or TRON!

I saw Phantom of the Paradise in 74 in surround sound. Fantasia was also released in surround in 40.

Fantasia was recorded in the late 1930s in experimental 10-channel surround recorded to nitrate film by Bell Labs (the ensemble was the Philadelphia Orchestra with Leopold Stokowski, which also appeared on recent Dutton Quad SACDs, albeit much later and not together). At the same time they made some of the first stereo recordings: http://www.stokowski.org/Harvey_Fletcher_and_Bell_Labs_Stereo.htm

Sadly by the 50s the film was exhibiting typical nitrate problems, and Disney resolved to transfer the multitracks to magnetic tape. Unfortunately, they decided that the best way to do it was by playing the film on proprietary equipment in New Jersey, and using AT&T's top of the line phone connection to a studio in California. Unfortunately, even that line cut off all information above 8 khz, leaving three options (the original nitrate presumably deteriorated long ago): the original soundtrack in surround but with a brutal cutoff (which is on the 1990s Dolby Surround CDs), a version taken from a 35mm print of the film in stereo only (the current soundtracks), and a re-record Disney commissioned in the 1970s.

Fantasia actually played at a few theaters in surround in 40 but the war ended those demonstrations. It took a whole crew of men to set it up and operate it so it was not financially feasible.

Back