Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Close Encounters Of The 3rd kind (BluRay) sounds amazing in 5.1

Absolutely right! Ever since its Blu-Ray release, "Close Encounters" has been a reference release not just in terms of sound quality and mix but in visual quality, extra features, packaging design, and more!
All three versions of the film are on a single Blu-Ray, so what's not to enjoy? :)

For showing off surround, I would definitely recommend the first Lord of the Rings film (The Fellowship of the Ring).
Specifically the scene early on in the film where hobbits are watching fireworks during a celebration.
There's lots of impressive left/right and back/front audio movement in this scene, as well as a great workout for your subwoofer!

I would also add that many animated films made in the last 15 years or so have very active surround mixes.

"The Incredibles" has been mentioned here, and there are many great scenes to show off your sound system in
"Finding Nemo", "Monsters, Inc." "The Iron Giant" "Toy Story 2" and "Big Hero 6".

These films take a long time to make, so there's plenty of time to work on the soundtrack and surround mix.

One last note: For a quick and easy guide to what movies might have especially impressive surround sound,
look up which films have been nominated at the Academy Awards for Best Sound Editing and Best Sound Mixing.

I always enjoy the surround sound from "World Invasion: Battle Los Angeles". Yes it's a B-movie with a bigger budget, and yes, the soundtrack is mostly explosions and gunfire. But it really rocks. And when in the end the alien control station lifts off, it really shakes the living room...

The newly remastered BD~V of XANADU is well worth adding to one's collection. Olivia Newton~John, Gene Kelly, Kenny Ortega's creative choreography, the Electric Light Orchesta and the TUBES.........what a smorgasbord of talent. Play it loud and the sound is room fillingly awesome. Amazon has it for $9.49. At that price, WHY NOT! In DTS HD Master Audio 5.1

http://www.amazon.com/Xanadu-Blu-ra...65953&creativeASIN=B01995ZPEW&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

The newly remastered BD~V of XANADU is well worth adding to one's collection. Olivia Newton~John, Gene Kelly, Kenny Ortega's creative choreography, the Electric Light Orchesta and the TUBES.........what a smorgasbord of talent. Play it loud and the sound is room fillingly awesome. Amazon has it for $9.49. At that price, WHY NOT! In DTS HD Master Audio 5.1

http://www.amazon.com/Xanadu-Blu-ra...65953&creativeASIN=B01995ZPEW&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

We shall take your word that it's a real MCH mix..

Many thanks for the heads up...

A very easy film to overlook because of its questionable rank among Marvel Superheroes is Ant~Man with Paul Rudd [as you've never seen him before] and an extremely talented cast. I thoroughly enjoyed seeing and hearing this marvelous and thrilling film which I predict will eventually become a cult classic.

Haven't watched it in 3D but blu ray.com gave its 3Dness a 4.5 and said it's among the best of the breed.

Will definitely add it to my list.

http://www.amazon.com/Ant-Man-3D-Bl...65953&creativeASIN=B00ZGDIGZ2&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Quite enjoyed Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland last night, even though it was the DVD and only DD 5.1
I bet the BD sounds even better
Occasional musical elements in the rears, but music is mostly up front - very dramatic sound effects all around at times though

Anyone here with "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo" (feat. Rooney Mara) can vouch for the Immigrant Song version sounding cool and discrete in 5.1? I didn't have access to surround back when I saw the film in 2011, and I'm trying to justify purchasing the Blu-ray mainly for this song..

Thanks! :)

I agree with Prometheus, Life of Pi, Apocalypse Now, The Dark Knight, The Fifth Element (New 4K remastered version)

One's not listed yet would be:

Inception (my subwoofer reference goto )

3:10 to Yuma (low frequency heaven)

Roger Waters The Wall (excellent use of 7.1)

Tron: Legacy (excellent use of 7.1)

American Sniper (most realistic bullet fire whizzing by your head ever)

Pretty much any Blu-ray with 7.1 will give you more going on in the rears by definition than most 5.1's.

Consider upgrading your system to 7.1 if you haven't already or even Dolby Atmos if you want action in the rears or even above.

I agree with Prometheus, Life of Pi, Apocalypse Now, The Dark Knight, The Fifth Element (New 4K remastered version)

One's not listed yet would be:

Inception (my subwoofer reference goto )

3:10 to Yuma (low frequency heaven)

Roger Waters The Wall (excellent use of 7.1)

Tron: Legacy (excellent use of 7.1)

American Sniper (most realistic bullet fire whizzing by your head ever)

Pretty much any Blu-ray with 7.1 will give you more going on in the rears by definition than most 5.1's.

Consider upgrading your system to 7.1 if you haven't already or even Dolby Atmos if you want action in the rears or even above.

Thanks for the list. I upgraded to 7.1 last year and every movie I have seen in 7.1 spectacular surround sound.

Thanks for the list. I upgraded to 7.1 last year and every movie I have seen in 7.1 spectacular surround sound.

I also have 7.1 capacity...I even have the extra speakers (KEF) to accommodate. I NEED to run some additional speaker wire to get them hooked up! The 2 KEF wouldn't match my all Klipsch system....but for the extra 2 speakers, I suppose not such a huge deal.

I also have 7.1 capacity...I even have the extra speakers (KEF) to accommodate. I NEED to run some additional speaker wire to get them hooked up! The 2 KEF wouldn't match my all Klipsch system....but for the extra 2 speakers, I suppose not such a huge deal.

What I am discovering is that modern movies in 5.1 are not a big deal sound wise. But if it is released in 7.1 it means they really took the effort to make the sound sound dynamite. Every 7.1 I have seen blows my socks off.

Back