Cafe Blue Un-Mastered SACD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is an interesting opinion..which I'm not sure is credible.....I guess I have another question that interests me...Gus Skinas gets credit for this "unmastering" on the project which involves the actual studio mix taken directly from the Neve board....just a transfer with no processing by Gus...I wonder how this type of release would affect Gus and others involved in these projects...I mean in a financial way...companies are always looking for ways to reduce cost...downloads and now selling "tapes"...I'm sure if the question was posed the "company" answer would be that this is a special project and not the norm...but if this was a huge success...you gotta wonder...at first blush the whole concept of "unmastered" for an audiophile seems strange...I'm objective about this but I'm also curious...

Some recordings coming from the studio mix are viewed as needing some enhancement. Which happens at the mastering stage.
In this case, the record label feels that the Capitol Records Studio mix is superior to the remastered version that was previously released on SACD.

My listening says they are correct in this case.

Some recordings coming from the studio mix are viewed as needing some enhancement. Which happens at the mastering stage.
In this case, the record label feels that the Capitol Records Studio mix is superior to the remastered version that was previously released on SACD.

My listening says they are correct in this case.

I'm intending on purchasing this one...I'm anxious to hear it:)..I just wonder what mastering people like Gus or Steve Hoffman think of this "unmastered" approach...it has to affect them financially if it were to continue...

I'm intending on purchasing this one...I'm anxious to hear it:)..I just wonder what mastering people like Gus or Steve Hoffman think of this "unmastered" approach...it has to affect them financially if it were to continue...

Not necessarily. In some cases, the mastering engineer is primarily transferring the music from the mixed tapes and preparing it for release.
For SACDs, that also includes authoring work. In other cases, more work/processing is needed.

For this one, less is more. :)

The Unmastered Café Blue is one astounding disc. From beginning to end, the breath and range of Ms. Barber's vocals and highly inventive orchestral arrangements will leave you wanting more. Luckily, I have a "SUPER" DSP mode on my Meridian prepro and it really expanded the music to all speakers creating a breathtaking soundstage.

VERY highly recommended.

The Sound is to die for!

Last edited:
Back