Cafe Blue Un-Mastered SACD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmoura

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Now In Stock at Acoustic Sounds, Elusive Disc and Music Direct: Cafe Blue Un-Mastered by Patricia Barber on Stereo Hybrid SACD from Premonition Records.

"Patricia Barber's 1994 audiophile classic Cafe Blue is available for the first time unmastered, Capitol Studios remix. SACD Hybrid will play on all SACD and CD players.

Cafe Blue was recorded at Chicago Recording Company in early 1994 by recording engineer Jim Anderson. It was the first release Barber recorded for Premonition Records. Recorded in 16/48 kHz on a 32-track Otari machine, the original multitracks were then transferred and remixed in 2011 at Capitol Studios in Holywood, California.

For the first time, listeners will be able to hear the mixes as they were done in the studio and not in the mastered-for-release form of all prior releases. This is the closest audio fans will get to the studio mixes - Capitol Studios remix from 2011 - and it is a remarkable experience.

Gus Skinas, of the Super Audio Center, has this to say about the SACD: "On this Cafe Blue, un-mastered and in DSD, you feel the character of Capitol's custom Neve board and you hear all the detail and feel the space of those famous analog reverb chambers."

For Mike Friedman, President of Premonition Records, the question of whether or not to release Cafe Blue un-mastered was a conundrum: "Every mastering engineer we've ever used on this recording did brilliant work. But I've always been aware of the quality of Jim Anderson's studio mixes. In the end, I thought it worthwhile to let fans of this recording hear what I heard. I think it will only serve to broaden their appreciation of Jim, Patricia, and the great musicians heard on cafe blue."

Cafe Blue Unmastered.jpg

http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/113538/Patricia_Barber-Cafe_Blue-Hybrid_Stereo_SACD
http://www.elusivedisc.com/Patricia...d-Hybrid-Stereo-SACD/productinfo/PREMSA90760/
http://www.musicdirect.com/p-424732-patricia-barber-cafe-blue-un-mastered-hybrid-sacd.aspx

Looks great. If you don't have any SACD version this definitely looks like the way to go. A few years back I purchased the MFSL SACD version and, as you know, its not cheap!

I just pre~ordered this title TODAY from AmazonUS for $18.13 (The Un~mastered Stereo SACD). Great price as list is $30!

(y)
I just pre~ordered this title TODAY from AmazonUS for $18.13 (The Un~mastered Stereo SACD). Great price as list is $30!

And amazon is releasing it on TAX DAY(April 15th)...that is a good price...but with the tax they will charge me plus the shipping(unless I find something else to buy to reach $35)..it's not that good of a deal for me.....importcds is $19.76 HERE..deepdiscount is $23.98 right now but you know the 15% discount is always a possibility..it's HERE...good find Ralphie(y)...especially for those like GOS who has prime shipping with amazon...no brainer for someone like that..Bullmoose is $30 with shipping included no tax HERE...you certainly pay a "luxury price" for buying at the boutique shops like acoustic sounds and elusive disc to get an earlier release date

(y)

And amazon is releasing it on TAX DAY(April 15th)...that is a good price...but with the tax they will charge me plus the shipping(unless I find something else to buy to reach $35)..it's not that good of a deal for me.....importcds is $19.76 HERE..deepdiscount is $23.98 right now but you know the 15% discount is always a possibility..it's HERE...good find Ralphie(y)...especially for those like GOS who has prime shipping with amazon...no brainer for someone like that..Bullmoose is $30 with shipping included no tax HERE...you certainly pay a "luxury price" for buying at the boutique shops like acoustic sounds and elusive disc to get an earlier release date

Clint, with New York State sales Tax, It came to $19.47 with FREE (huh, I pay $109.00 a year for PRIME) shipping. Yeah, Amazon even charges sales tax on PRIME. Not to mention what I paid for Federal/NYS tax for 2015:yikes:yikes:yikes

The BEST things in life are FREE?......yeah, maybe in the Neanderthal age!

Clint, with New York State sales Tax, It came to $19.47 with FREE (huh, I pay $109.00 a year for PRIME) shipping. Yeah, Amazon even charges sales tax on PRIME. Not to mention what I paid for Federal/NYS tax for 2015:yikes:yikes:yikes

The BEST things in life are FREE?......yeah, maybe in the Neanderthal age!

Like I said in my post...for those that have prime...no brainer...good deal...

And amazon is releasing it on TAX DAY(April 15th)...that is a good price...but with the tax they will charge me plus the shipping(unless I find something else to buy to reach $35)..
The new $49 minimum has been in effect for a couple of weeks now.

While I anxiously await my Un~mastered Café Blue SACD from Amazon, are there any other un~mastered SACD projects in the works or was this a fluke, Brian?

I haven't heard of any more "unmastered" SACD projects in the works.
But I wouldn't be surprised if this one leads to Premonition doing more of the Barber albums this way.

Definitely an improvement over the original SACD, now out of print.

I haven't heard of any more "unmastered" SACD projects in the works.
But I wouldn't be surprised if this one leads to Premonition doing more of the Barber albums this way.

Definitely an improvement over the original SACD, now out of print.

Brian, perhaps you can enlighten me (us): What is an Un~mastered SACD and what are the perceived benefits?

Brian, perhaps you can enlighten me (us): What is an Un~mastered SACD and what are the perceived benefits?

In this case, the Unmastered SACD was created from the mix of the album done at Capitol Records Studios in Hollywood on their Neve Analog Console with reverb from the famed Capitol Records echo chambers.
The earlier Mobile Fidelity SACD of Cafe Blue was mastered with added processing after the Capitol Records mix.

The two versions sound different on my system with the new one being the preferred edition to my ears.

Here is an interesting opinion..which I'm not sure is credible.....I guess I have another question that interests me...Gus Skinas gets credit for this "unmastering" on the project which involves the actual studio mix taken directly from the Neve board....just a transfer with no processing by Gus...I wonder how this type of release would affect Gus and others involved in these projects...I mean in a financial way...companies are always looking for ways to reduce cost...downloads and now selling "tapes"...I'm sure if the question was posed the "company" answer would be that this is a special project and not the norm...but if this was a huge success...you gotta wonder...at first blush the whole concept of "unmastered" for an audiophile project seems strange...I'm objective about this but I'm also curious...

In this case, the Unmastered SACD was created from the mix of the album done at Capitol Records Studios in Hollywood on their Neve Analog Console with reverb from the famed Capitol Records echo chambers.
The earlier Mobile Fidelity SACD of Cafe Blue was mastered with added processing after the Capitol Records mix.

The two versions sound different on my system with the new one being the preferred edition to my ears.

Personally, Brian, I was a big fan of the multichannel BD~A of Patricia Barber's "Modern Cool." Considering the multi tracks were available and the album was recorded in PCM 16/48, Café Blue would've made a splendid multichannel BD~A...with, of course, the un~mastered stereo mix. A Missed opportunity, IMO.

Back