SACD & Vinyl LP Reissues

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is no way to predict when or if that one will be released...MoFi has had that specific title as "arrival date to be announced" for over a year...they did the same thing with the recently released Cars(debut album)SACD....some of these titles have been in this status for 2 years...

Anyone notice that The Cars is dated 2015? Maybe they're just holding that one back a bit longer.

Anyone notice that The Cars is dated 2015? Maybe they're just holding that one back a bit longer.

It's hard to say with MoFi...the recent release of Bob Dylan's Greatest Hits SACD was advertised as a pre order for over 2 years before it was released and it also says 2015 on the sleeve..I used to visualize a room where there were stacks of tapes and Rob LoVerde was chained to a console with stacks of empty pizza boxes and a small futon for him to sleep on..and a dimly lit restroom...they license so many of these releases and LoVerde seems to do the bulk of them..with the occasional Shawn Britton involvement...and of course there is the infamous GAIN 2 SYSTEM...unlike AF.... which gives their employees a lot of credit....they even give the Multichannel Maven credit....MoFi seems to shroud their releases in secrecy until you actually receive the product and see who worked on the project...I just think they are overwhelmed with projects...they pay for these releases and seem to figure it out on the fly...and they seem to value their equipment(THE GAIN 2 SYSTEM)more than their employees...

It's hard to say with MoFi...the recent release of Bob Dylan's Greatest Hits SACD was advertised as a pre order for over 2 years before it was released and it also says 2015 on the sleeve..I used to visualize a room where there were stacks of tapes and Rob LoVerde was chained to a console with stacks of empty pizza boxes and a small futon for him to sleep on..and a dimly lit restroom...they license so many of these releases and LoVerde seems to do the bulk of them..with the occasional Shawn Britton involvement...and of course there is the infamous GAIN 2 SYSTEM...unlike AF.... which gives their employees a lot of credit....they even give the Multichannel Maven credit....MoFi seems to shroud their releases in secrecy until you actually receive the product and see who worked on the project...I just think they are overwhelmed with projects...they pay for these releases and seem to figure it out on the fly...and they seem to value their equipment(THE GAIN 2 SYSTEM)more than their employees...

Clint, I've always ascertained that MoFi's SACD division is severely understaffed and that's why they won't go the extra mile to undertake any QUAD remasters (that and the fact it's a stereo only mastering facility).

Whatever the hold~up, we should also realize that like AP, MoFi specializes in 180/200g VINYL and that SACD is an "afterthought." The Vinyl is always released way ahead of the SACDs.

Perhaps they have the jackets pressed in advance awaiting the discs from Austria...thus the 2015 (pre) date on those domestically pressed jackets.

And perhaps Rob LoVerde should alter his menu from high caloric Pepperoni pizza to Protein Drinks.......maybe that'll put a spark up his ass to expedite those SACD titles to market:flame

Clint, I've always ascertained that MoFi's SACD division is severely understaffed and that's why they won't go the extra mile to undertake any QUAD remasters (that and the fact it's a stereo only mastering facility).

Whatever the hold~up, we should also realize that like AP, MoFi specializes in 180/200g VINYL and that SACD is an "afterthought." The Vinyl is always released way ahead of the SACDs.

Perhaps they have the jackets pressed in advance awaiting the discs from Austria...thus the 2015 (pre) date on those domestically pressed jackets.

And perhaps Rob LoVerde should alter his menu from high caloric Pepperoni pizza to Protein Drinks.......maybe that'll put a spark up his ass to expedite those SACD titles to market:flame

There is no doubt that vinyl is the "hottest" product right now...just look at any week on acoustic sounds under new arrivals...there are 10 times more vinyl than SACD releases...much cheaper to produce and easier to manufacture...

There is no doubt that vinyl is the "hottest" product right now...just look at any week on acoustic sounds under new arrivals...there are 10 times more vinyl than SACD releases...much cheaper to produce and easier to manufacture...

Actually Digital Downloads are the "hottest" category with the most New Releases at Acoustic Sounds in any given week.
No manufacturing at all required with downloads.

Here's today's tally for example: Digital Downloads (1,341), Vinyl (611), SACD (68), CD (7), DVD Audio and Video (2).

New Arrivals at Acoustic Sounds.jpg

New Releases at Acoustic Sound by Category - May 22, 2016
http://store.acousticsounds.com/index.cfm?get=results&NewArrivals=true

It's hard to say with MoFi...the recent release of Bob Dylan's Greatest Hits SACD was advertised as a pre order for over 2 years before it was released and it also says 2015 on the sleeve...

So now I'm curious whether any of their SACDs are dated 2016 yet.

Actually Digital Downloads are the "hottest" category with the most New Releases at Acoustic Sounds in any given week.
No manufacturing at all required with downloads.

Here's today's tally for example: Digital Downloads (1,341), Vinyl (611), SACD (68), CD (7), DVD Audio and Video (2).

View attachment 26144

New Releases at Acoustic Sound by Category - May 22, 2016
http://store.acousticsounds.com/index.cfm?get=results&NewArrivals=true

That's true...I should have qualified that statement to the "disc" medium...since I don't do downloads I never consider them...

Clint, I've always ascertained that MoFi's SACD division is severely understaffed and that's why they won't go the extra mile to undertake any QUAD remasters (that and the fact it's a stereo only mastering facility). Whatever the hold~up, we should also realize that like AP, MoFi specializes in 180/200g VINYL and that SACD is an "afterthought." The Vinyl is always released way ahead of the SACDs.

Vinyl LPs are released ahead of SACDs by some of the reissue labels so they can make back the cost of the LP reissue before the SACD comes out. It's also the case that some listeners will buy both the LP and SACD (rather than one or the other) if they are released in that order (LP first, SACD later on).

Mobile Fidelity, like Analogue Productions, is owned by a parent company that handles marketing and distribution (Music Direct owns Mobile Fidelity and Acoustic Sounds owns Analogue Productions). The same with Rhino (owned by Warner Music). So while reissue labels all work on small margins, Mobile Fidelity, Analogue Productions and Rhino have more resources than others like Audio Fidelity, ORG and Impex when their parent company's funding and marketing and distribution is factored in.

As for which format(s) to reissue on, that's driven by sales in the market (as always).

In recent years we have seen:
  • Impex recently joining the SACD market (in addition to LPs)
  • ORG exiting the SACD market (and continuing with LPs).
  • Audio Fidelity re-joining the SACD market after emphasizing Gold CDs - and even issuing Multichannel SACDs along with a few LPs (Soundtracks, Sade, etc.)
  • Analogue Productions' Chad Kassem saying "SACD isn't going anywhere" - he plans to continue with SACD releases.
I'm sure there will be more changes in the reissue market as time goes on.
It remains interesting to follow. :)

Back