Star Wars Comes to Stereo DSD & Analog Tape

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmoura

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
The first three Star Wars Original Soundtrack albums with John Williams and the London Symphony Orchestra are now available in Stereo DSD and Analog Tape.
From the ever expanding collection at Horch House in Austria.

"Horch House has released the first three original soundtracks from the Star Wars Series: Episode 4: Star Wars – A New Hope, Episode 5: The Empire Strikes Back and Episode 6: Return of the Jedi in Stereo DSD, analog tape, and WAV formats. The albums feature the original performances of music from this iconic film series composed and conducted by John Williams with the London Symphony Orchestra.

While the Star Wars Soundtrack albums have previously been available on Stereo CD and FLAC (PCM) downloads, Horch House notes that this marks the first time that the Star Wars Soundtrack albums have been available in both DSD and analog tape. This is yet another step in Horch House’s work to bring classic albums to analog tape and DSD through the release of one-to-one analog tape copies and transfers of the analog tapes to DSD and WAV format USB Wafer Cards.

The Horch House process starts with an Analog Tape copy of the album. In this case, they received the three Star Wars albums from Skywalker Studios in California last September and began work on the refurbishing and transfer process. Volker Lange at Horch House tells me that was a very exciting moment at their company."

Star Wars - Cover - 400.jpg

http://positive-feedback.com/audio-discourse/star-wars-comes-to-dsd-and-analog-tape/

That's great news! I think these will be my first ever DSD purchases. I've been wanting to listen to The Empire Strikes Back for the longest time so this will be a great occasion. I absolutely love the music on that one. As a ten year old, the track Battle in the Snow was quite an ear opener. It was the b-side to The Imperial March 45. I used to play both endlessly. Then I got the 2 LP set and played that for months. Apart from George Martin's tracks from the Yellow Submarine album, this was my first real taste of orchestral music.

That's great news! I think these will be my first ever DSD purchases. I've been wanting to listen to The Empire Strikes Back for the longest time so this will be a great occasion. I absolutely love the music on that one. As a ten year old, the track Battle in the Snow was quite an ear opener. It was the b-side to The Imperial March 45. I used to play both endlessly. Then I got the 2 LP set and played that for months. Apart from George Martin's tracks from the Yellow Submarine album, this was my first real taste of orchestral music.

Have fun at the Horch House store. They also have some excellent Jazz and Blues downloads including Intercontinental by Jazz Guitarist Joe Pass, Delta Time by Hans Theessink & Terry Evans with Ry Cooder and an Analog Tape to DSD live concert by a Jazz Fusion Band (The Hamburg Session by The New Mastersounds).

http://positive-feedback.com/audio-discourse/horch-house-dsd-wafer-cards/
http://www.analogarts.net/the-hamburg-session

OK, these could also be my first DSD purchases... I've got all the Star Wars soundtracks on CD, and I've even upmixed all of them with SpecWeb! But first, does anyone know if I can play a DSD on my OPPO 103? (I know it sounds stupid, but I've never tried it!:mad:@:) Another stupid question... does "DSD" come on a disc, as a download, or on some kind of "wafer card" as mentioned above??

OK, these could also be my first DSD purchases... I've got all the Star Wars soundtracks on CD, and I've even upmixed all of them with SpecWeb! But first, does anyone know if I can play a DSD on my OPPO 103? (I know it sounds stupid, but I've never tried it!:mad:@:) Another stupid question... does "DSD" come on a disc, as a download, or on some kind of "wafer card" as mentioned above??

The wafer card is simply a USB stick placed on a thin card. You simply insert it into your USB port.

Depends on the music seller. Most sites selling DSD files sell them as music downloads. So you get them right away after checking out.
Horch House is different in that they mail you DSD on Wafer Cards that look like credit cards with a USB connector.

Yes, Single Rate DSD music files in Stereo and Multichannel DSD 64 (like the Star Wars albums in DSD) will play on an Oppo 103 and the Oppo 105 disc players. See blog post linked below.
http://blog.nativedsd.com/dsd-developments/

What sort of analog tape are they talking about? Stars Wars has been on analog tape before.

starWars.jpg

What sort of analog tape are they talking about? Stars Wars has been on analog tape before.

starWars.jpg

I'm really sorry Cuppy, but you have way too many copies of the David Peel album on Reel to Reel, so we can't take anything you say seriously... ;) :D

Well you know why they chose to release it on tape as well. There is a Reel to Reel reissue "fad" going on and they're bandwagoning away. :)

Those are some pretty nice looking cupholders. Just watch out for spills.

I'm really sorry Cuppy, but you have way too many copies of the David Peel album on Reel to Reel, so we can't take anything you say seriously... ;) :D

Well you know why they chose to release it on tape as well. There is a Reel to Reel reissue "fad" going on and they're bandwagoning away. :)

I do have that original Dolby b encoded Star Wars OSR on Open Reel but my educated guess is that this new OR fad consists of releasing them at 15 1/2ips on 10.5" Reels in STEREO and charging upwards of $650 for the privilege if this current listing at Acoustic Sounds is any indication http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/107453/Lyn_Stanley-Potions_From_The_50s-Reel_to_Reel

I currently own a Revox A77 Open Reel Recorder with 10.5 inch reel capability with an onboard Dolby b encoder but would I make this sort of investment? NO!

IMO, some things are better left in the past.

I'd like to see them offer quarter track 7 1/2 IPS. The difference in sound would be minimal but the price could be 4X less.

I'd like to see them offer quarter track 7 1/2 IPS. The difference in sound would be minimal but the price could be 4X less.

But cupboy, even at 1/4 of the $650 (or so) price tag, unless one owns one of those new tricked out Open Reel Machines with custom EVERYTHING*....what's the point? Aren't there enough CAPABLE hi res audio formats currently on the market to make this offering obsolete? IMO, you can probably buy ALL the current Star Wars movies on BD~V with HD SURROUND soundtracks and have money left over to buy a shitload of popcorn....or Twizzlers!

*http://shop.j-corder.com/product.sc?productId=45&categoryId=3

Only $15K!

For cupboy......some really cool new 'cupholders' in a dazzling array of colors:' http://shop.j-corder.com/product.sc?productId=12&categoryId=5

Well, Simon, since you've said PLEASE:

http://www.dutyfree.is/images/324-6047.jpg

And I'm certain that your dentist will be pleased, as well.

I brush, floss and Listerine daily so I should be OK but I'm touched by your concern. :D

Seriously, I've been thinking about this DSD waffle card all days and I'm really looking forward to getting it. I'll give my review as soon as I receive it.

I brush, floss and Listerine daily so I should be OK but I'm touched by your concern. :D

Seriously, I've been thinking about this DSD waffle card all days and I'm really looking forward to getting it. I'll give my review as soon as I receive it.

May the FLOSS (er, FORCE) be with YOU!

I do have that original Dolby b encoded Star Wars OSR on Open Reel but my educated guess is that this new OR fad consists of releasing them at 15 1/2ips on 10.5" Reels in STEREO and charging upwards of $650 for the privilege if this current listing at Acoustic Sounds is any indication http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/107453/Lyn_Stanley-Potions_From_The_50s-Reel_to_Reel

As the PF article notes, the prices of the Analog Tapes of Star Wars start at $371 per album. Compared to comparable studio quality Analog Tape releases (up to $850 each), this is pretty reasonable.
To date, Horch House says they have sold over 2,000 of the studio quality tapes bringing in over $1 Million in revenue. A very nice business.

What is unique at Horch House is their sale of DSD and WAV editions of the same releases. Most of the studio quality Analog Tape companies sell the studio reels only.

These days, we're seeing more and more demos of these studio tapes at audio shows - replacing the use of SACDs and Vinyl LPs - to show off audio systems.

As anyone here been successful in contacting Horch House for an order? I have sent an e-mail and used their Contact page and I've never heard back from them. I'd love to call them, but the different time zones makes it challenging.

Back