Live Concerts with Discrete Surround

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frogmort

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
There really aren't very many live concert videos available with truly discrete surround audio, but I've found a few:

Roy Orbison: Black & White Night
Nine Inch Nails: Beside You In Time
Porcupine Tree: Anesthetize

Any of you guys know of more?

Steven wilson Get all you deserve blu ray
Eagles both dvds.

Last edited:
John Fogerty - Premonition
Fleetwood Mac - The Dance
Kraftwerk - Minimum-Maximum
Jean Michel Jarre - Jarre In China

Porcupine Tree: Arriving Somewhere (live in Chicago) DVD

There may already be a similar thread here somewhere.

Big Big Train's forthcoming BluRay "Stone & Steel"

http://www.bigbigtrain.com/main/shop/stone_and_steel

has nine fully discrete "live in studio" tracks and four live tracks. I play tested the 5.1 and it's a really great mix. The inital BluRay (March) has 50Hz video so US customers need to be sure they can play it before ordering, or else wait for the 24p version coming in June.

Guns 'n Roses - Appetite for Democracy!

This one gets overlooked a lot. It's not Superdiscrete McUberdiscrete, but it really works and it definitely _is_ discrete :) Love that BluRay. Killer performances, too.

I agree - a great sounding DVD - but Phil Collins' between song patter is a buzzkill.

I used to think that too, but I have a different view on it now.
I just love seeing Phil so happy up on that stage playing and singing Genesis music. Contrast that with almost everything he's done since then (including the rather mediocre covers album "Going Back") and not only has he not done anything that great since the tour, but he's also been completely miserable at times, almost to the point of being suicidal (something that's been on my mind a lot lately with Emerson's death) so I now see the between-song patter as an extension of the joy he had up there on that stage with the other four guys celebrating an important part of his musical career, all while the audience is absolutely loving it.
Also, the between-song patter is the kind of thing that doesn't work well on a DVD but works great when you're actually there in the crowd.
(The only bittersweet thing about all of this is that I couldn't make it to a Genesis show that year, and I'm still mad at that missed opportunity.)

...and how on earth did I forget this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sort-Homeco...=UTF8&qid=1457875373&sr=8-1&keywords=Anathema

Anathema "A Sort of Homecoming"

Great, atmospheric venue, the band are right on form and the recoding/surround mix are both extremely good. ...and before anyone mentions how "loud" the BluRay 5.1 is (because someone's bound to ;) ... ) yes, it's high in volume but doesn't sound compressed, which for me is the key thing. All the dynamics are still there.

Klaus Schulze-Rheingold
Kraftwerk-Minimum Maximum
Steely Dan-Two Against Nature NYC
Led Zeppelin-How The West Was Won
Led Zeppelin-DVD
Page Plant-No Quarter
Genesis-Grey Box
Genesis-White Box
King Crimson-Argentina
any live discs by Jakko Jacsyk
any live discs by Steven Wilson
any live discs by Elliot Scheiner