Live Concerts with Discrete Surround

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Often wondered about all those ?? There are quite a few.:D Any recommendations ??

Tour de Force Albert Hall and Beacon Theatre are probably my favourites. The sound on the Tour de Force Albert Hall is great in my opinion, although not discretely surround.

If you like Joe's rockier side, the Black Country Communion Live Over Europe bluray is a superb performance from a great band.

Tour de Force Albert Hall and Beacon Theatre are probably my favourites. The sound on the Tour de Force Albert Hall is great in my opinion, although not discretely surround.

If you like Joe's rockier side, the Black Country Communion Live Over Europe bluray is a superb performance from a great band.

I think they all have weird mixes. You will have horns coming out of one rear speaker only. Not a great balance.

Thanx lads,

You give me a lot to think about.In this case I don't think I'll worry too much about the lack of discreet, just want to know what is best music, performance, clarity, etc.
So now it's at least narrowed down somewhat.(y)

ELP-King Biscuit and Floyd-Pompaii are a couple favorites. Just noticed this thread today and now subscribed...

Loggins and Messina: Sittin' In Again at the Santa Barbara Bowl. If you thought the L&M AF QUAD SACDs were good this Elliot Scheiner Recorded and mixed into DTS 5.1 DISCRETE surround DVD is simply astounding. The performances and camera work are beyond superb and for DTS (on a DVD) the picture [anamorphic widescreen] and especially the sound is one of Scheiner's CROWN JEWELS.

I paid very little for it a year ago but unfortunately, the prices are way up https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BF0DCE/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1&tag=acleint-20

From the opening note to the encore, Loggins and Messina and their absolutely stellar and versatile bandmates put on one HELLUVA F**CKING GREAT Show!

Talk about ABSOLUTE SYNCRONICITY!

I miss Elliot Scheiner.. I wish he would come out of his seclusion/retirement/baseball project and work some more of his surround magic someday soon.. that man is (grossly overused/exaggerated term but I have no other word to describe his huge talent) a genius at what he does, imho.

I miss Elliot Scheiner.. I wish he would come out of his seclusion/retirement/baseball project and work some more of his surround magic someday soon.. that man is (grossly overused/exaggerated term but I have no other word to describe his huge talent) a genius at what he does, imho.

ES is the man!

And more great live discs to check out:

........Jerry Lee Lewis-Last Man Standing.......fizzin

This was a big surprise. I opened it up today since my visiting brother is a big Jerry Lee fan and lo and behold, fizzywiggs wasn't kidding. This is a VERY discrete mix, instruments in the back, vocals in the front, background singers in the back. I was stunned (Not Silverline stunned, mind you) Anyway, it's a live concert with interviews and such mixed in (oh well), but the performance and the mix are top notch. Jerry is up there in age so he's not jumping around and pretty much sits in one spot on the piano stool, but it's good fun and for the price it's quite a surprise surround find.

And of course, as the final credits rolled, the "I should have known" bit: 5.1 Surround Mix by Elliot Scheiner

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Last_Man_Standing_Live

JLL.jpg

I recently play tested the sound track from Rob Reed's soon-to-be-released live album "Sanctuary Live at Real World" where he and a specially created band perform the whole of Sanctuary 1 and 2 at Peter Gabriel's Real World studio. I was lucky enough to be at the gig too. It was a flawless performance and the live recording is very, very impressive.

He's also done a fully discrete 5.1 mix of the recording which will be available on DTS on the DVD-V when it's released. :banana: He described it to me as "a bit rough and ready" but in my view it was right up there with the best few live 5.1 discrete mixes.

BTW anyone in the UK may be interested to know that Rob's getting the band together for another live performance of Sanctuary 1 and 2 at the Parabola Arts Centre in Cheltenham on June 3rd and I think there are a few tickets still available.

There really aren't very many live concert videos available with truly discrete surround audio

I think you mean live concerts with immersive or middle of the band surround mixes.

When it comes to "discrete surround" where a concert recording is made from a recording of 4, 5, 6 or more separate channels that is then sold via a format where the separate channels are maintained and not matrixed down to 2 Stereo channels (formats like SACD, DVD-V, DVD-A, Blu-Ray) there are many live concerts released this way.

Listening/watching now to Metallica, Through The Never. Super great video in BD, actually it is discrete, guitars and drums heavy in the rears. Bullets, bombs, airplanes all good. But everything sounds like shit after listening to A Farewell To Kings 2017.

Back