Live Concerts with Discrete Surround

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MY favorite discreet live are

Roy Orbison: Black & White Night
Porcupine Tree: Anesthetize
ELO Zoom Tour
Blackfield-Live in NYC
King Crimson-live albums from Thrak Box

Not prefectly discreet but great sound:

Neil Finn and Paul Kelly-Going Your Way
Rush R40 Live

Neil Finn - Sessions at West 54th
The Aristocrats - Boing, We'll Do It Live
Peter Gabriel - Secret World Live
Recoil - A Strange Hour In Budapest
Boz Scaggs - Greatest Hits Live
Loggins & Messina - Sittin' In Again Live
Sting - All This Time
Madonna - Sticky & Sweet Tour
Lee Ritenour - Overtime

I used to think that too, but I have a different view on it now.
I just love seeing Phil so happy up on that stage playing and singing Genesis music. Contrast that with almost everything he's done since then (including the rather mediocre covers album "Going Back") and not only has he not done anything that great since the tour, but he's also been completely miserable at times, almost to the point of being suicidal (something that's been on my mind a lot lately with Emerson's death) so I now see the between-song patter as an extension of the joy he had up there on that stage with the other four guys celebrating an important part of his musical career, all while the audience is absolutely loving it.
Also, the between-song patter is the kind of thing that doesn't work well on a DVD but works great when you're actually there in the crowd.
(The only bittersweet thing about all of this is that I couldn't make it to a Genesis show that year, and I'm still mad at that missed opportunity.)

I get your point but still find excessive stage patter annoying. Glad that Phil was happy! Some might consider it self indulgent.

Last edited:
Two Against Nature Steely Dan's Plush TV Jazz-Rock Party in Sensuous Surround Sound, there's a bit of talk and interview stuff but if you hit the advance button, all is good. Just wish they'd included West of Hollywood and given Chris Potter his moment.

Two Against Nature Steely Dan's Plush TV Jazz-Rock Party in Sensuous Surround Sound, there's a bit of talk and interview stuff but if you hit the advance button, all is good. Just wish they'd included West of Hollywood and given Chris Potter his moment.

Yeah that's a great disc. I ripped the audio to FLAC and cut out the interview segments (this interrupting-concerts-with-interviews &%@# is actually one of my biggest pet peeves). Now, it's a perfect 10 for me.

Yeah that's a great disc. I ripped the audio to FLAC and cut out the interview segments (this interrupting-concerts-with-interviews &%@# is actually one of my biggest pet peeves). Now, it's a perfect 10 for me.

I hate those discs that have these "interviews" between songs...I have to use my trusty remote and skip them...I don't know if they are trying to increase the "running time" of the concert by doing this or what...they should be included in extras or bonus parts...my other pet peeve with concerts is the "whip lash" camera shots...because they have multiple cameras they feel the need to keep switching them every 30 seconds....most older concerts don't have this problem because they didn't have that many cameras...

um, so given all the listings here, some of which are technically 'discrete' but from a mix perspective are band-in-front, audience-in-rear, what did the OP mean by 'discrete'?

This seems to be more a list of 'live albums available in surround'.

Faithless Live at Brixton DVD has a tremendous DTS surround mix!

um, so given all the listings here, some of which are technically 'discrete' but from a mix perspective are band-in-front, audience-in-rear, what did the OP mean by 'discrete'?

This seems to be more a list of 'live albums available in surround'.

Sorry, but none of my listings are "band in the front, audience in the rear".

Band in the Front, Band in the Rear; best describes my listings. With audience in the rear.

You guys are killing me....I haven't watched a concert on my new 65" TV since I got it... (well, did watch Porcupine Trees)..but nothing else. Taking today off work to get some things done ahead of my business trip to Argentina. I think I'll dig out my concerts and watch one. :) :)

You guys are killing me....I haven't watched a concert on my new 65" TV since I got it... (well, did watch Porcupine Trees)..but nothing else. Taking today off work to get some things done ahead of my business trip to Argentina. I think I'll dig out my concerts and watch one. :) :)

Hey Gos, before you get to Argentina, check out King Crimson-Argentina.

And more great live discs to check out:

Rush-Exit Stage Left
The Who-Royal Albert Hall
Eagles-Melbourne
Eagles-Hell Freezes Over
Santana-Supernatural Live
Allman Bros,-Fillmore East (quad)
Allman Bros.-Eat A Peach (quad)
Peter Frampton-Frampton Comes Alive
JJ Cale at Leon Russell's Paradise Studio
Jerry Lee Lewis-Last Man Standing
Sting-Live in Berlin
Bonnie Raitt-Road Tested
Nirvana-MTV Unplugged
The Band-The Last Waltz (both dvda and movie)
Leonard Cohen-Live In London

fizzin

Hey Gos, before you get to Argentina, check out King Crimson-Argentina.

And more great live discs to check out:

Rush-Exit Stage Left
The Who-Royal Albert Hall
Eagles-Melbourne
Eagles-Hell Freezes Over
Santana-Supernatural Live
Allman Bros,-Fillmore East (quad)
Allman Bros.-Eat A Peach (quad)
Peter Frampton-Frampton Comes Alive
JJ Cale at Leon Russell's Paradise Studio
Jerry Lee Lewis-Last Man Standing
Sting-Live in Berlin
Bonnie Raitt-Road Tested
Nirvana-MTV Unplugged
The Band-The Last Waltz (both dvda and movie)
Leonard Cohen-Live In London

fizzin

I forgot about that Santana DVD. Great surround mix!

I remember this has a sort of fake surround.

Nobody yet mentioned Pink Floyd with Pulse.

Listen again to "What is and what should never be" .

On both the dvd and dvda, impressive surround with Page's guitar, demo'd in each speaker separately. Jimmy Page/Kevin Shirley mixed this in surround as well as Page/Plante-Unledded.
-and there is more, but nothing fake about the surround in my observations.And they are not the same concert dates of course, but the technique is evidently similar.

I second Nirvana Unplugged, stellar sounding disc and yup, it's definitely discrete. I also like Alice In Chains Unplugged, while I don't recall it being a discrete mix, it sounds great nonetheless.

Back