Live Concerts with Discrete Surround

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Led Zeppelin-How The West Was Won
On both the dvd and dvda, impressive surround with Page's guitar, demo'd in each speaker separately. Jimmy Page/Kevin Shirley mixed this in surround as well as Page/Plante-Unledded.
In that case I'm wrong and I'll have to check again.

In the mean time here's another good one: Roger Waters - The Wall (2012) [DVD, Blu-Ray or Digital Download]

Hey Gos, before you get to Argentina, check out King Crimson-Argentina.

And more great live discs to check out:

Rush-Exit Stage Left
The Who-Royal Albert Hall
Eagles-Melbourne
Eagles-Hell Freezes Over
Santana-Supernatural Live
Allman Bros,-Fillmore East (quad)
Allman Bros.-Eat A Peach (quad)
Peter Frampton-Frampton Comes Alive
JJ Cale at Leon Russell's Paradise Studio
Jerry Lee Lewis-Last Man Standing
Sting-Live in Berlin
Bonnie Raitt-Road Tested
Nirvana-MTV Unplugged
The Band-The Last Waltz (both dvda and movie)
Leonard Cohen-Live In London

fizzin

What is the Rush DVD like? DTS or DD, active rears?

Some more noteworthy titles,

Steve Hackett-Hammersmith
Gentle Giant-Octopus Live
Jethro Tull-Minstrel live 75 Paris
Led Zeppelin-Mothership
Natalie Merchant-VH 1 LIVE/Storytellers
Doors-Hollywood Bowl (parts of)

and two moderately discreet,

Aerosmith-Rising Sun
Little Feat-Skin It Back

Some more noteworthy titles,

Steve Hackett-Hammersmith
Gentle Giant-Octopus Live
Jethro Tull-Minstrel live 75 Paris
Led Zeppelin-Mothership
Natalie Merchant-VH 1 LIVE/Storytellers
Doors-Hollywood Bowl (parts of)

and two moderately discreet,

Aerosmith-Rising Sun
Little Feat-Skin It Back

Do you mean Hackett Genesis revisited? That concert mix has nothing in the rears for 90% of the time, the bass is out of control, boomy and over whelming, not great.

Do you mean Hackett Genesis revisited? That concert mix has nothing in the rears for 90% of the time, the bass is out of control, boomy and over whelming, not great.

Just relistened to it last nite, and yes it has action in the rears, no doubt about it.Didn't want to list it until I re listened to it so yes I am including it.

Just relistened to it last nite, and yes it has action in the rears, no doubt about it.Didn't want to list it until I re listened to it so yes I am including it.

It has some tricks here and there, but mostly silence.

Nine Inch Nails - And All That Could Have Been (DTS version)
Peter Gabriel - Growing Up Live

I second Nirvana Unplugged, stellar sounding disc and yup, it's definitely discrete. I also like Alice In Chains Unplugged, while I don't recall it being a discrete mix, it sounds great nonetheless.

Does anyone know if the UK DVD of Nirvana Unplugged is region-locked? I'm also curious if the rehearsal footage is also 5.1

Though I'm not a huge fan, this release has a handful of favorites, not the least of which is the cover of Bowie's "Man Who Sold the World." I'm doubly intrigued by this release because of the rehearsal, which includes that song.

Last edited:
I played the Led Zeppelin Box Set DVD set. The Albert Hall concert sounds amazing in 5.1 very immersive.

Special mention to Jimi Hendrix - The 1972 movie reissued on DVD in 5.1 a few years ago

um, so given all the listings here, some of which are technically 'discrete' but from a mix perspective are band-in-front, audience-in-rear, what did the OP mean by 'discrete'?

This seems to be more a list of 'live albums available in surround'.

I don't count 'audience in rear' as what I was thinking of in terms of being 'discrete'. I was strictly speaking of the music performed being mixed around the room similar to how many studio albums have been remixed in surround.

Edit: Listening to Roy Orbison B&W Night right now brought me back to this thread, and it has great discrete surround, courtesy of Elliot Scheiner.

I agree with NIN Beside You In Time BD / And All That Could Have Been DVD and Alice In Chains Unplugged DVD

can't believe only 1 person mentioned Roger Waters The Wall (Dolby Atmos / Dolby TrueHD 7.1 for god's sake, that's as surround as they come)

Bjork Biophilia BD is interesting (though not her best)

Tom Petty: Runnin' Down a Dream DVD Disc 3 (of the 4 disc set) has the 30th-anniversary Gainesville concert in 5.1

The Police Certifiable BD

Neil Young Year of the Horse (probably my favorite 5.1 DTS live concert DVD) just because he's Neil and well, Crazy Horse :)

Neil Young Journey's BD DTS-HD MA 5.1

Metallica Through the Never German 7.1 version and Japan Dolby Atmos version

Led Zeppelin Celebration Day

Peter Gabriel Live in Athens 1987 BD

Portishead Roseland NYC Live DVD 5.1

Last edited:
Neil Young Year of the Horse (probably my favorite 5.1 DTS live concert DVD) just because he's Neil and well, Crazy Horse :)

Neil Young Journey's BD

Never had the opportunity to listen to these two by Neil Young.Had The Road Rocks live dvd in dts, which is a different concert from the Dvda.

Curious about how they sound ? Can you fill me in ?:D

Really? Was this remixed for BD? The surround mix on the DVD does not show off the rears at all that I recall.

That's right. I'm pretty sure both the DVD & the Blu-Ray have the same 5.1 surround mix, and it sounds very good, but it's not discrete at all.
Same goes for "Back to Front - Live in London". Great sound, but practically stereo.

Back