Live Concerts with Discrete Surround

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Neil Young Year of the Horse (probably my favorite 5.1 DTS live concert DVD) just because he's Neil and well, Crazy Horse :)

Neil Young Journey's BD

Never had the opportunity to listen to these two by Neil Young.Had The Road Rocks live dvd in dts, which is a different concert from the Dvda.

Curious about how they sound ? Can you fill me in ?:D

Year of the Horse is a Jim Jarmusch film (who if not familiar is a great filmmaker, he did Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai, was in a Fishing with John (Lurie) episode and recorded the sound for Burroughs: The Movie while hanging out with William Burroughs in NYC (how cool is that!))

Year of the Horse follows Neil and Crazy Horse on their 1996 tour with live concert footage interspersed with tour bus life. Stellar set list and the 5.1 is realistic. A very underrated DVD IMO which should have gotten more credit.

Neil Young Journeys is a 2011 American concert documentary film produced and directed by Jonathan Demme (who, IMO is another excellent filmmaker, Stop Making Sense, etc). It is, along with Neil Young: Heart of Gold (2006) and Neil Young Trunk Show (2009), part of a Neil Young trilogy being created by Demme.

Live 2011 Concert footage of Massey Hall in Toronto, interspersed with traveling to the show, very similar to Roger Waters The Wall. Once again stellar set list and superb 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 (96kHz, 24-bit). Another underrated beauty.

Last edited:
Bruce Springsteen, with the Session Band: Live in Dublin - Blu Ray, have some discrete instruments in the rears.

.... or maybe just delayed ambience, hard to tell.

@Salsdali,

Whoops, mistook Journeys for Journey Through The Past-from Archives.

but I have to keep an eye out for "Year Of The Horse" All copies here always were devoid of any surround info.So I passed em up of course.

"Rust Never Sleeps" I think is Neil's best surround disc, I think.

Re:Jim Jarmusch

Very familiar with his films, and his actors and musicians such as John Lurie and Tom Waits.
"Night On Earth" is one of my faves-Tom Waits on soundtrack.Also Roberto Begnini and his comedic talent in 'Night' and "Down By Law" with all three.
Neil did the soundtrack to "Dead Man" as well.And "Le Noise"Live might best describe "Journeys" bluray at Massey Hall.

Never saw "Trunk Show" and I don't know if it's out on dvd or bluray yet.

Thanks for the insight, fizzy

...and how on earth did I forget this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sort-Homeco...=UTF8&qid=1457875373&sr=8-1&keywords=Anathema

Anathema "A Sort of Homecoming"

Great, atmospheric venue, the band are right on form and the recoding/surround mix are both extremely good. ...and before anyone mentions how "loud" the BluRay 5.1 is (because someone's bound to ;) ... ) yes, it's high in volume but doesn't sound compressed, which for me is the key thing. All the dynamics are still there.

+1 in all regards. Immensely enjoyed this last night. Especially the Lee Douglas songs... <3 <3 <3
This is going in the rotation. Very impressed with this Bruce Soord mix.

...and how on earth did I forget this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sort-Homeco...=UTF8&qid=1457875373&sr=8-1&keywords=Anathema

Anathema "A Sort of Homecoming"

Great, atmospheric venue, the band are right on form and the recoding/surround mix are both extremely good. ...and before anyone mentions how "loud" the BluRay 5.1 is (because someone's bound to ;) ... ) yes, it's high in volume but doesn't sound compressed, which for me is the key thing. All the dynamics are still there.

OK - just placed an order for this one.....didn't have it yet. :) Just the single blu-ray though.

I know it's been mentioned here before, but I don't think so in this thread. King Crimson - Eyes Wide Open DVD from 2003 is a really discrete mix.

King Crimson-Zoom Tour

-had the dts dvd and it was one of my first music related dvd'-s.I don't have Neal, Jack and often wondered what it was like ? Anyone ? Can anyone elucidate ?

I agree with NIN Beside You In Time BD / And All That Could Have Been DVD and Alice In Chains Unplugged DVD

can't believe only 1 person mentioned Roger Waters The Wall (Dolby Atmos / Dolby TrueHD 7.1 for god's sake, that's as surround as they come)

Bjork Biophilia BD is interesting (though not her best)

Tom Petty: Runnin' Down a Dream DVD Disc 3 (of the 4 disc set) has the 30th-anniversary Gainesville concert in 5.1

The Police Certifiable BD

Neil Young Year of the Horse (probably my favorite 5.1 DTS live concert DVD) just because he's Neil and well, Crazy Horse :)

Neil Young Journey's BD DTS-HD MA 5.1

Metallica Through the Never German 7.1 version and Japan Dolby Atmos version

Led Zeppelin Celebration Day

Peter Gabriel Live in Athens 1987 BD

Portishead Roseland NYC Live DVD 5.1

Hell no!:yikes:mad:@:

I have the Wall and Metallica with Dolby Atmos set up. No better than most 5.1 releases. Not great surround mixes at all. Stuff in rears now and again but not frequent. Metallica Atmos Blu Ray is NO BETTER than the standard version.

The Police Blu Ray has nothing but audience in rears, same with Zeppelin for most part.

@Gos. Or. @Keenly

Do any of you have the BLACK SABBATH or OZZY OSBOURNE live discs ? Curious to know what LAST SUPPER and any of the others are like ?

Any for recommendations ?:music

@Gos. Or. @Keenly

Do any of you have the BLACK SABBATH or OZZY OSBOURNE live discs ? Curious to know what LAST SUPPER and any of the others are like ?

Any for recommendations ?:music

They suck balls mate.

I've got Black Sabbath's Gathered in Their Masses and Heaven and Hell (with Dio, Iommi and Butler) on blu ray. Neither is very discrete, with a little more in the surrounds from the Black Sabbath disc. Think I'd recommend it over the Dio disc, though I find I tire easily of Ozzy's potty mouth, lol. You're welcome to borrow either one if you're interested FW.

Back