Live Concerts with Discrete Surround

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah shit, they're ALL that bad ?

PS I ask u and gos cause you both seem to know your "metallurgy":):kaboom

Last Supper's so called surround mix is barely audible. The DD 5.1 is faulty IMO. Masses has some crowd noise in rears, but Ozzy's voice is shot to bits and completely ruins it for me.

Journey: Live in Manila is discrete.

Yes. Guitar in rear right, with some keyboards now and then in rear left. I just wish the engineer had put the keyboards there for the full duration.

Yes. Guitar in rear right, with some keyboards now and then in rear left. I just wish the engineer had put the keyboards there for the full duration.

Yes, the keyboard come on very strong in the rears sometimes - weird - and very cool :)

Is that the cd/dvd issue that was exclusive to "Fartmart" (walmart) ?

It's an ordinary single disc Blu Ray edition, I bought mine on Ebay some years ago.

IMG_9616web_zpseebip0ix.jpg

Within Temptation & The Metropole Orchestra: Black Symphony is discrete. Very dynamic with a very "big" sound.

IMG_9618web_zps3youne2y.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_9618web_zps3youne2y.jpg
    IMG_9618web_zps3youne2y.jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 370
Hope it's the concert set 2cds 2dvds with Lisa Gerrard ? And one of the dvds is the Steven Wilson interview with Klause.

There is another set but not sure if it's 5.1-no indication you know.

Yes I got it today. It's a 2 DVD version. Nice surround mix to sleep to and I look forward to the Steven Wilson interview.

Joe Bonamassa - Live from the Royal Albert Hall, Blu Ray is discrete. Great concert - but I do not like the sound on this one.

Joe Bonamassa - Live from the Royal Albert Hall, Blu Ray is discrete. Great concert - but I do not like the sound on this one.

Agree with you on this one. I've got 9 of his BD concerts, this one is probably my least favourite. The one from the Vienna Opera House is good, but acoustic. Probably like the Beacon Theatre one the best, though I don't find any of them to be absolutely stellar. As always, YMMV ;)

Agree with you on this one. I've got 9 of his BD concerts, this one is probably my least favourite. The one from the Vienna Opera House is good, but acoustic. Probably like the Beacon Theatre one the best, though I don't find any of them to be absolutely stellar. As always, YMMV ;)

Often wondered about all those ?? There are quite a few.:D Any recommendations ??

Often wondered about all those ?? There are quite a few.:D Any recommendations ??

Here's what I've got:
Royal Albert Hall
Radio City Music Hall
Muddy Wolf at Red Rocks
Vienna Opera House
Beacon Theatre
With Beth Hart in Amsterdam
And 3 of his 4 Tour de Force ones from London (4 concerts, 4 nights, 4 different venues, 4 different bands, 4 different set lists):
Hammersmith Apollo
The Borderline
Shepherd's Bush Empire

If you like Beth Hart, that one is decent. Shepherd's Bush Empire is my favourite of the Tour de Force ones, and as mentioned before, the acoustic set at Vienna Opera house is well done, with my favourite still being Beacon Theatre. None are bad, but none are top of the heap BD concerts IMO. And of course there's a lot of repetition over 9 concerts.:)

Here's what I've got:
Royal Albert Hall
Radio City Music Hall
Muddy Wolf at Red Rocks
Vienna Opera House
Beacon Theatre
With Beth Hart in Amsterdam
And 3 of his 4 Tour de Force ones from London (4 concerts, 4 nights, 4 different venues, 4 different bands, 4 different set lists):
Hammersmith Apollo
The Borderline
Shepherd's Bush Empire

If you like Beth Hart, that one is decent. Shepherd's Bush Empire is my favourite of the Tour de Force ones, and as mentioned before, the acoustic set at Vienna Opera house is well done, with my favourite still being Beacon Theatre. None are bad, but none are top of the heap BD concerts IMO. And of course there's a lot of repetition over 9 concerts.:)

Love Joe's guitar playing - he's more of a blues shouter than a singer but it's all about the playing for me. The sound quality of his live BDs have gotter better but still are drenched into too much reverb for my taste. Calling any of these discrete 5.1 mixes are a bit of a stretch - more like ambience/big reverb with an occasional discrete element or doubling of a part in the rears. One title that hasn't been mentioned and is IMHO the best from a sound quality perspective is Rock Candy Funk Party - live from the Iridium -not a blues album - more of a 70's fusion/funk album. All instrumental - Joe's guitar playing is still prominent but this is more of a full band effort.

packshots.jpg

Back