How can i hook up my decoder using 1 amp

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spoiler81

Heres a question for you quad guys. I recently bought a sony SQD-2020 decoder and i was going to use it with my Marantz 4100 quad amp.But when i looked at the owners manual it shows using a front and rear amp. So my question is can i hook the decoder to the front and rear pre outs.And use only this one amp.

Any answers i can get will be much appreciated.i'm new to quad and just trying to figure it all out, IMG_0332.jpgIMG_0334.jpg
thanks.

The 2020 back panel is confusing. The are RCA connectors identified both as Output and as Tape In.

Given that the volume control of the 2020 is labeled Master, it might be the case that there is a way to control the outputs to the power amplifier(s). In that case you can connect them to the main ins of the 4100 (removing the C-shaped jumpers).

The 2020 also has a discrete 4-ch input and a 4-ch tape monitor circuit. So it seems you can connect modern sources like DVD-A and SACD players, and the Surround Master to it.

You can connect the back (rear) outputs of the 2020 to the back aux. input of the 4100 as shown in your picture and then select aux. for the back amplifier. The front amp. of the 4100 must be set to tape monitor because you need to get the signals to the decoder from the tape output of the 4100 and then the front signals from the decoder returned to the front amp. via the tape inputs on the 4100.

Doug.

Back