Thread: Barclay James Harvest

Level
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 141
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Barclay James Harvest

I quite understand that they can’t mix For No One due to missing multis, but their response to that seems crazy to me. There would normally be an upmix in its place; they weren’t happy with the results, fair enough. So I would have then put the stereo track on the DVD rather than missing it out completely. To play the album in full you have to change discs. There is bound to be room on the DVD. And, assuming they have the stereo master, it could also have been in higher res than on the CD. Perhaps they didn’t want to be perceived as trying to fool anybody, but I would have been much happier with something rather than nothing, even though it’s a duplicated track.

It feels like the 5.1 is thought of as ‘bonus tracks’: that we will play the stereo most of the time and sometimes play 5.1 as a curio. Whereas I, and I’m sure many other QQers, will mainly play the 5.1. (In fact, I will probably never play the stereo discs at all.)

Thankfully, I don’t really know this album, so it won’t hurt, but if it was, for example, Who’s Next in 5.1 with no Won’t Get Fooled Again at the end it would be really weird.

However, this basically looks like a great set of releases over the next few months!

2. Thanks peterzach thanked for this post
    Likes Snood, fizzywiggs41, DuncanS, peterzach liked this post
    1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
    Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 35.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered50000 Experience PointsSocialOverdrive
    Awards:
    Downloads
    Post Thanks / Like

Yea,

I know what you mean.Why not just Penteo the missing multi.It's unfair really, I'm still miffed that Tank was excluded from this process on the ELP release.

4. Thanks Which_One_Is_Pink thanked for this post
    Likes DuncanS, keenly liked this post
    1K Club - QQ Shooting Star DuncanS's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 492
    Overall activity: 48.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteranSocialRecommendation Second Class
    Post Thanks / Like

Me to. I'd much rather have a Penteo upmix, or even the disc revert to stereo for just a track with missing multis, than lose the continuity of the music.
    254 SACD (219 Multi, 35 Stereo), 218 DVD-Audio/DTS/DD, 27 Blu-ray Audio (19 Multi, 8 Stereo), 14 SQ LPs, 2218 plain old stereo CDs

6. Thanks Which_One_Is_Pink thanked for this post
    Likes fizzywiggs41 liked this post
    Level
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Blog entryCreated Album picturesTagger First Class
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    Post Thanks / Like

Alright, folks, my 5.1 deluxe edition of "Everyone is Everybody Else" arrived this evening, and I had a chance to go through it. Here's what I think:

Overall there's a lot of great material on this album. If you have ever heard their most successful album ("Once Again"), then I think those of you who enjoy that album will enjoy this one too. My only complaint about the material is that a lot of these songs tend to sound very much alike after a while. A little variety never hurts sometimes.
    As for the surround mix, it's an average mix. It's not that good, but it's not that bad either. On the plus side, there's no crazy panning moves to distract you and it is a mix that does a pretty good job supporting the music, but it just does not have that 'wow' factor that one could use to describe mixes like "Hand. Cannot. Erase." or "Oranges & Lemons". Also, no complaints whatsoever on the fidelity front.
    Therefore I can conclude that this release is a solid '8', breaking down my vote this way:

Music: 3/3
    Surround Mix: 2/3
    Fidelity: 3/3
    High-Res Disc: 0/1

Finally, this is yet another example of a release that fails to take advantage of the full capabilities and space that DVD can offer. The DVD file size is a paltry 2.75GB, leaving plenty of space for things that we are not privy to for this release. That could include high-res surround sound (for a DVD-A player), the original stereo mix in high-res, video material, and more. So in that regard, the DVD is definitely a letdown. I think you will find a greater use of the full capabilities of DVD on the new "Sanctuary II" release from Robert Reed.
    (And don't get me started on the use of the wrong DVD logo, which only further rubs salt in an already sore wound…)

Surround yourself with the best.

Coming soon in 2017: "Eye in the Sky" (The Alan Parsons Project), "Black Sea" (XTC) and "A Farewell to Kings" (RUSH)!
    Already released: "Songs from the Wood" (Jethro Tull); "Misplaced Childhood" (Marillion); "Three Piece Suite" (Gentle Giant) and "Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band"

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star DuncanS's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 492
    Overall activity: 48.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteranSocialRecommendation Second Class
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll give it a few more days, but it looks like Cherry Red have forgotten to post my pre-ordered copy again!
    254 SACD (219 Multi, 35 Stereo), 218 DVD-Audio/DTS/DD, 27 Blu-ray Audio (19 Multi, 8 Stereo), 14 SQ LPs, 2218 plain old stereo CDs

Level
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveSocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Post Thanks / Like

I received my copy of Everyone is Everybody Else today. Nice package...poster etc.

I popped in the DTS 96/24 layer. The general feeling is warm and full. Nice bass. This is not discreet whatsoever. I guess some of you might call it expanded stereo. Regardless, the vocals are firmly anchored in center channel. A little too loud fore my taste. I dropped the center 3db and all is good. Personally, I like the way it sounds. Again - far from a surround tour de force. Far from it. But, the general feeling is good, and it cranks. I like it a lot.

What I'm saying is - I knew nothing about BJH, and I dig the songs and vibes and the DTS does it justice. Absolutely, no regrets buying this. I would play this more than a couple times. Good music.

10. Thanks JanBakker, rtbluray, peterzach, Snood thanked for this post
    Likes rtbluray, peterzach, Snood, Gmat25, Simon A liked this post
    Level
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 125
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Post Thanks / Like

I've given my Everyone is Everybody Else a few spins. For what it's worth if anyone's on the fence:

Good bits:
    1. The music is awesome. Toe-tappin', head bobbin', air drummin', warblin' along. Good fun.

2. Fidelity is excellent. Great production. Drums are huge!

3. On first listen, the surround mix was a bit underwhelming as it's not terribly adventurous but on subsequent spins, I quite enjoy it.

4. Although For No One isn't on the DVD, the surround mix of the US single version of Child of the Universe acts as a nice reprise at the end of the album.

Not so good bits:
    1. Cardboard packaging. The spine was bent on arrival.

2. For No One could have been Penteo'd. Steve Hackett's Defector shows that this software can achieve surprisingly good results. If there isn't a poll already, perhaps there could be one to see if we'd all prefer some stereo-to-surround magic if multi-track tapes are missing. We can probably all guess the results but it might give the record companies' some ammunition to argue for the use of Penteo where necessary in future (if any of them are paying attention).

3. Forced to buy CDs to get the surround mix. That's like forcing the purchase of a tape when you want the vinyl, or vinyl when you want CD.

Solution: Do a double CD release (old mix/new mix/extra tracks) and a BD release. If you want the CDs, buy the CDs. If you want the BD, buy the BD. If you want both, buy both. Plenty of room on the BD for old stereo mix/new stereo mix/surround mix/extra tracks/any video from the period/liner notes. The BD menu can allow navigation to read liner notes while listening too. You just need to look at movie BDs to see what’s possible with the nav. It's a no-brainer and not a ton of extra work.

It'll also get around the "need" for cardboard packaging: Double plastic case for the CDs, plastic case or Super Jewel Box for the BD. Man, I hate cardboard packaging. It's way more expensive to produce too. All that heavy card stock needs to be printed full colour, both sides, trimmed, creased and plastic trays need to be glued in place. What a waste of time for something that's perishable and so easily damaged. A BD insert is just one sheet of light paper stock and if the plastic gets cracked enroute, it's easy to replace.

Bottom line: Very glad I bought it. It’s a great album and decent surround mix. Looking forward to the next one.

12. Thanks Snood, DoctorO, rtbluray, 360 SOUND, colsky thanked for this post
    Likes Snood, Simon A, rtbluray, 360 SOUND, colsky liked this post
    Level
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    Post Thanks / Like

There's only one flaw in your argument which I picked up on.

Esoteric will probably never release standalone Blu-Ray audio discs for their releases. Why? Blu-Ray is much more expensive to author and replicate than DVD is, which makes it especially tough for smaller, independent labels that don't have the resources that the major labels do.
    The only complaint I have with the release is that they chose DVD-V over DVD-A/V, which means lossy surround audio for us.
    (That and also the fact that they could have packed more onto the DVD compared to what's on it now…)

Coming soon in 2017: "Eye in the Sky" (The Alan Parsons Project), "Black Sea" (XTC) and "A Farewell to Kings" (RUSH)!
    Already released: "Songs from the Wood" (Jethro Tull); "Misplaced Childhood" (Marillion); "Three Piece Suite" (Gentle Giant) and "Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band"

14. Thanks Snood thanked for this post
    Likes Snood, Simon A liked this post
    Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rtbluray View Post
    Esoteric will probably never release standalone Blu-Ray audio discs for their releases. Why? Blu-Ray is much more expensive to author and replicate than DVD is, which makes it especially tough for smaller, independent labels that don't have the resources that the major labels do.
    Dang, that's a shame. Do you know if the reason for this is that an entire new BD pressing machine is required? If so, I'm guessing that one would be rather expensive. Would be good if they could rent some time on another label's machine so they could make use of the ~50GB available on a BD.

Level
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by timothyemerson View Post
    Dang, that's a shame. Do you know if the reason for this is that an entire new BD pressing machine is required? If so, I'm guessing that one would be rather expensive. Would be good if they could rent some time on another label's machine so they could make use of the ~50GB available on a BD.
    Those are the kind of specifics I don't know about, but many have said on here before about the added expenses associated with Blu-Ray that are either not applicable or less costly for DVD authoring and replication.

17. Thanks timothyemerson thanked for this post
    Level
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 76
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

I am happy to have this edition, but the absence of For No One really kills the experience of the album for old folks like myself who enjoyed it in its heyday. It's really integral to the wrap-up "trilogy" as well as to the original album side, and puts the album in a different category on the heels of a couple of more "pop" sounding tunes. Agree that it should have been preserved in its original form or "doctored" to fit from whatever source was available.

19. Thanks rtbluray thanked for this post
    Likes rtbluray, Simon A liked this post
    Level
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 357
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

I was slightly amused to see that throughout the packaging of EiEE they keep referring to CD 1 (the original mix, remastered) as '24 bit-remastered'...when it's a CD, no? So, 16 bit playback, yes*? Reminded me of the old days when 'Super Bit Mapping' was a new thing. (What they mean, surely, is that the transfer of the tapes and mastering were done at 96/24, then finally converted to good old Redbook)

(*I'm not complaining about the sound. For analog tape recording of this vintage, 16 vs 24 bits *does not matter* at the playback end)

Level
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ssully View Post
    I was slightly amused to see that throughout the packaging of EiEE they keep referring to CD 1 (the original mix, remastered) as '24 bit-remastered'...when it's a CD, no? So, 16 bit playback, yes*? Reminded me of the old days when 'Super Bit Mapping' was a new thing. (What they mean, surely, is that the transfer of the tapes and mastering were done at 96/24, then finally converted to good old Redbook)

(*I'm not complaining about the sound. For analog tape recording of this vintage, 16 vs 24 bits *does not matter* at the playback end)
    I still think it's puzzling as to why they would remaster the original stereo mix at 96 kHz/24 bit and NOT include that mix in its fullest resolution on the DVD, especially when there was still lots of space available to do so.
    Once again, common sense does not always abound on some of these releases...

22. Likes Simon A liked this post
    Level
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 357
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

I still think it's puzzling as to why they would remaster the original stereo mix at 96 kHz/24 bit and NOT include that mix in its fullest resolution on the DVD, especially when there was still lots of space available to do so.
    Once again, common sense does not always abound on some of these releases...

I agree, silly for them NOT to include it, as they made such a fuss about it, and they certainly had the space.

Though in practical terms, makes no (audible) difference, unless the mastering is different in some *other* way (e.g., less compression, different EQ).

24. Likes Simon A, rtbluray liked this post
    Level
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsSocial1 year registered
    Post Thanks / Like

Got my copy today, very happy, I am a big fan of BJH and have all their albums. They were very popular in Norway and many of their albums chartet here:

http://www.bjharvest.co.uk/chart.htm

Strange that about some groups/artists being popular in only a few countries.

I miss the For No One track - but love the surround mix of this album. I really hope to see a lot more of their albums get this treatment, I will get them all.

26. Thanks GOS, rtbluray, peterzach thanked for this post
    Likes Simon A, GOS, rtbluray, peterzach liked this post
    1K Club - QQ Shooting Star Robert van Diggele's Avatar
    Level
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album picturesTagger First ClassSocial25000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by timothyemerson View Post
    these discs are pressed at a pressing plant. i do not think any smalle label has their own pressing machines. Labels just send the master to the pressing plant and off they go, returning pressed discs and packing all in one.

28. Thanks timothyemerson, rtbluray thanked for this post
    Level
    Overall activity: 52.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdriveCreated Album picturesSocial50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Post Thanks / Like

What would be the point of putting this on a Blu-ray?
    I bet most of the people buying this set are buying it for the content on the CDs..
    "Surround Sound From The End of the World to Your Town"
    825 SACD (676 MCh), 348 DVD-A, 298 SQ LP,
    138 CD-4, 133 Audio-DVD, 117 DualDisc, 112 BD-A,
    79 DTS CD, 56 Q8, 34 QS LP, 29 Dolby Surround CD,
    6 MultiCh DL

30. Thanks rtbluray thanked for this post
    Likes rtbluray liked this post
    Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert van Diggele View Post
    these discs are pressed at a pressing plant. i do not think any smalle label has their own pressing machines. Labels just send the master to the pressing plant and off they go, returning pressed discs and packing all in one.
    Thanks Robert van Diggele. Yeah, that makes sense. There's a local outfit that I believe works this way and from memory, their BD production costs weren't out of the park compared to DVD.

Level
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    Post Thanks / Like

Got an email today from Burning Shed saying that the CD/DVD release of "Gone to Earth" has now been delayed until September 2nd.
    The delay itself is not annoying as I could wait years for this disc and not care, but had I known at the time I would not get this DVD-V disc until September, I would have gladly held off on preordering it then in order to use the available money for something coming sooner.

33. Thanks haikubass, fizzywiggs41 thanked for this post
    Likes Simon A liked this post
    Level
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveSocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Post Thanks / Like

Got an email today from Burning Shed saying that the CD/DVD release of "Gone to Earth" has now been delayed until September 2nd.
    The delay itself is not annoying as I could wait years for this disc and not care, but had I known at the time I would not get this DVD-V disc until September, I would have gladly held off on preordering it then in order to use the available money for something coming sooner.
    Why? Do they charge upon ordering?

Level
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GOS View Post
    Why? Do they charge upon ordering?
    Yes indeed.

36. Likes Simon A liked this post
    Level
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 140
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

I got my copy today, and in my opinion the 5.1 mix is very tastefully done. The new stereo mix is interesting, but not essential. The new stereo remaster of the original mix is better than the previous remaster.

38. Thanks rtbluray thanked for this post
    Likes rtbluray, Simon A liked this post
    Level
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    Post Thanks / Like

Besides the upcoming release of "Gone to Earth" (coming next Friday), we should be getting information on the next release after that very soon!
    amazon.co.uk preliminarily lists "XII" as a 2CD/DVD expanded edition to be released on October 28th.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/XII-DISC-DE...dp/B01KVSSTOY/

40. Thanks IMachine thanked for this post
    Likes Spock, IMachine, fizzywiggs41 liked this post
    Level
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    Post Thanks / Like

Leave it to Burning Shed to come up with the goods!

https://www.burningshed.com/store/pr...oduct/99/7919/

A deluxe, remastered and expanded edition of BJH's 1978 album XII.

The last album to feature Woolly Wolstenholme, it contains enduring favourites Berlin and In Search Of England.

This edition includes two CDs and a DVD, and features a re-master of the original album mix, five bonus tracks, and stunning 2016 stereo and 5.1 surround mixes of the album.

The DVD (region free / NTSC) also includes 96 kHz / 24-bit stereo re-mixes.

The package includes an illustrated booklet that fully restores the original album artwork, a new essay and a reproduction poster.

Pre-order for 28th October release.
    CD 1 - 24-bit re-mastered original stereo mix (September 1978):

1. Fantasy: Loving Is Easy (4:00)
    2. Berlin (4:47)
    3. Classics: A Tale Of Two Sixties (3:34)
    4. Turning In Circles (3:30)
    5. Fact: The Closed Shop (3:46)
    6. In Search Of England (4:12)
    7. Sip Of Wine (4:22)
    8. Harbour (3:42)
    9. Science Fiction: Nova Lepidoptera (5:45)
    10. Giving It Up (4:35)
    11. Fiction: The Streets Of San Francisco (5:41)

Bonus Tracks:

12. Berlin (single version)
    13. Loving Is Easy (single version)
    14. Turning In Circles (first mix)
    15. Fact: The Closed Shop (first mix)
    16. Nova Lepidoptera (ambient instrumental mix)

CD 2 - 2016 stereo mix:

DVD (region free/ntsc) -XII 2016 5.1 surround and 96 KHZ / 24-bit 2016 and 1978 stereo mixes:

42. Thanks IMachine, rusinurbe, Spock, haikubass, Snood thanked for this post
    Likes IMachine, fizzywiggs41, haikubass, Snood, GOS liked this post
    Level
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 80
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Or you can get the information directly from the label.

And by the way, Gone to Earth has been released, I received it a few days ago ! (Bought directly from the label)

44. Thanks rtbluray, fredblue thanked for this post
    Likes rtbluray, fredblue liked this post
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast