Barclay James Harvest (3 CD +1 5.1 DVD Box Set)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A video trailer for the new deluxe edition of "Octoberon":
[video=youtube;mQD6TSAxE-Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQD6TSAxE-Q[/video]

Looks like this one should actually be out on time, unlike the last two releases…

A video trailer for the new deluxe edition of "Octoberon":
[video=youtube;mQD6TSAxE-Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQD6TSAxE-Q[/video]

Looks like this one should actually be out on time, unlike the last two releases…

Can you see the back cover well enough to see if it says "DVD Audio" or "DVD Video" ?:couch!

I just got notification from Burning Shed that 'Octoberon' has shipped, might be here by Thursday or Friday:D and hopefully Marillion - Misplaced Childhood should arive around the same time;) so Friday is gonna be a busy listening day. :sun
P.S. also expecting Cosmograf - Hay-man Dreams (not surround) the same day. Hmmm just checked on that, release date was last Friday!! where is it?

OK Octoberon arrived this morning along with Marillion - Misplaced Childhood as predicted.
I decided to try the BJH first (well after Deodato2 quad 8track to DVDA transfer my mate had sent me in the same post) It's very very good I love it after just one listen, back of pack has DVDAudio logo but of course it isn't it's DVDV, I chose DTS as I always do, the sound is nice and clear with all speakers used very well, a pretty good surround mix by Craig Fletcher & Mark Powell. The packaging is similar to the previous releases and there's a 20 page booklet with a not very in depth account (compared to Tull) of the recording of each track, interesting bit about the sound effects on Suicide? (SPOILER) headphones with microphones on a dummy thrown off the roof of a hotel amazing!

RFGVoTU.jpg

3BmRL8v.jpg

Screenshots on 'Listening To Now in Surround'

Nice surround mix of a very good album. My one reservation is that the lead vocal is a bit too prominent in the centre channel but as there is other stuff such as bass and drums in there on some tracks it's difficult to reduce the level without losing some of this background material. Overall a very welcome package. (y)

Nice surround mix of a very good album. My one reservation is that the lead vocal is a bit too prominent in the centre channel but as there is other stuff such as bass and drums in there on some tracks it's difficult to reduce the level without losing some of this background material. Overall a very welcome package. (y)

Just for the record (haha...record...)

IMO, every single BJH release (multi) has had too loud vocals. I've made comment about it somewhere I know. Seems to me, that on my Denon, it allows you (via some sort of processing I think) to lower the vocals. I don't recall it having negative impact on other instruments. :)

Got my copy today too, lowered the center by 6 dB, like with XII :)

Very nice surround disc.

Yep, it does sound nice and yeah - vocals are elevated as normal. I went ahead and ripped as is, once I really crank it I'll decide if I want to do that.
Did you listen to Suicide? Crazy huh...walking up the steps...

CHERRY RED ACQUIRE NEW CATALOGUES FROM WARNER MUSIC GROUP

Cherry Red are pleased to announce the purchase and representation of several artist catalogues and discographies from the Warner Music Group divestment deal. These include Howard Jones, Be Bop Deluxe, Barclay James Harvest, Chris Squire and Curved Air plus pop artists such as Kim Wilde and Mel and Kim

Esoteric Recordings are delighted to announce that Barclay James Harvest, Be-Bop Deluxe, Chris Squire and Curved Air titles will appear on the Esoteric Recordings imprint and a full scale reissue programme will go ahead , hopefully starting later this year and continuing through 2018 onwards.

For Barclay James Harvest fans, this will include the albums Barclay James Harvest, Once Again, Other Short Stories and Baby James Harvest.
Further details will follow in the coming weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And does that also mean that there's a chance for 5.1 titles of Squire and Curved Air too?

I really, really, REALLY hope that they release Fish Out of Water in 5.1

I don't mean to be a dope, but what exactly does this mean? Likely more surround titles from BJH?

Probably so, as long as the multitrack tapes still exist for those albums.
At the very least, I'm sure the deluxe edition of "Once Again" will include the original Quadraphonic mix.

:)

I really, really, REALLY hope that they release Fish Out of Water in 5.1

Well it's already been mixed in 5.1 surround, and it has yet to be released in such a way, but given Esoteric's recent track record, I feel pretty good that we'll get it very soon.

Oh, lets do some Be Bop Deluxe in 5.1 - that idea gets me pretty stoked, and I think Bill could be on board with it, give the buyers something new rather just another reissue.

Oh, lets do some Be Bop Deluxe in 5.1 - that idea gets me pretty stoked, and I think Bill could be on board with it, give the buyers something new rather just another reissue.

"Drastic Plastic" was quite likely mixed in "QUAD DISCRETE" or so it would seem as the BBC broadcast some of the tracks in their Quad matrix back in the day.

So here's hoping. (y)

FWIW They also broadcast album tracks in Quad for Tull's Minstrel and Too Old... and thanks to those respective re-issues
we got the full albums in quad .
:D

When I asked if all four of these Barclay James Harvest reissues would have 5.1 surround, the band (or band representative) responded back saying "Hopefully, yes."

Octoberon:

Fidelity: Superb as always. Drums are huge just like on all the other releases. I like, I does.

Surround Mix: I don't mind a loud vocal in the centre channel (my centre is +2dB) but dang, it's REALLY loud on some tracks and varies a bit within some tracks too (maybe that's why it was mixed as loud as it was?). Not a biggie for me though. Whoever is mixing these surround releases is doing an awesome job.

The Tunes: I really like this band and hadn't even heard of them until these surround releases started coming out. Great in all respects.

Are we gonna get individual polls for Everyone is Something or Other, Gone to Erf, Rocktoblerone and MCM-1701? Cos I'm ready to vote.

Back