BluRay Music Video Poll Big Big Train - STONE & STEEL [BluRay]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BluRay of STONE & STEEL

• 7:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Fidelity, Poor Surround, Poor Content

• Total voters
Outstanding Live/studio concert Blu Ray - it is my demo disc. Great music with fantastic fidelty and surround mix. A very solid 10!

Dang, thought I voted for this one. It's one of my favorite surround mixes. 10 for the music; 10 for the mix; 10 for the sound quality... so, going with a 30 on this one.

A masterpiece.

NOTE: I have an open copy of this release that doesn't play on either of my screens. It sat in the kitchen until I came across it again and realized I missed the Amazon return deadline by 2 days. Putting a notice in the FS/Trade section.

NOTE: I have an open copy of this release that doesn't play on either of my screens. It sat in the kitchen until I came across it again and realized I missed the Amazon return deadline by 2 days. Putting a notice in the FS/Trade section.

Ya know, Tim, this release alone is worth an upgrade to an Oppo. Just sayin'... ;)

It seems I have been offered an antidote and will be keeping the disc. Maybe I'll have to replace the TV too! LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I finally got round to listening/watching this all the way through today. Its the first Big Big Train disc I've bought, my younger brother always raves about them and I'd listened to one album he'd got (can't remember which!) and thought it would be good in surround as lots going on.

I'm limiting my 10s to exceptional albums. So what do I think. Well its a solid 10. Great songs, great musicianship. A 10 for sound quality, 10 for the music, and a 10 for the surround mix (I turned the TV off at one point to check and I thought the surround mix stood up really well on its own without the video). Its great, its where I wish Genesis had gone after Wind & Wuthering, really nice complex tunes. I'd love to have all the BBT albums now in surround.

I stupidly let this one fly underneath my radar only to recently discover that it's already difficult to find. I finally found a (somewhat) reasonably priced copy and it arrived today.

Wow! Wow! Wow!

Great songs, beautifully filmed in a gorgeous setting, and a great 5.1 mix.

Normally I wouldn't cast a vote after only one viewing, but this is an easy 10.

My only problem was that it seized up in a few places. Maybe I just got a bad copy or my Pioneer is getting cranky. Anyone else experience any playback problems on this?

I stupidly let this one fly underneath my radar only to recently discover that it's already difficult to find. I finally found a (somewhat) reasonably priced copy and it arrived today.

Wow! Wow! Wow!

Great songs, beautifully filmed in a gorgeous setting, and a great 5.1 mix.

Normally I wouldn't cast a vote after only one viewing, but this is an easy 10.

My only problem was that it seized up in a few places. Maybe I just got a bad copy or my Pioneer is getting cranky. Anyone else experience any playback problems on this?

No, mine plays just fine. I'm glad you got it, it is a stunner. Both visually and audio.

OK, way late to the party I realize, but I really want to get a copy of this one, and I've tried AZ in the US, UK and DE and nothing. Only thing on fleabay is a Russian rip.

Anyone have a used one to sell? Any idea of a re-issue?

The bands Web Site does not even list this disc, barely has a video trailer for it. For something this well reviewed, and obviously sold-out, a fresh batch would seem to be in order, no?

OK, way late to the party I realize, but I really want to get a copy of this one, and I've tried AZ in the US, UK and DE and nothing. Only thing on fleabay is a Russian rip.

Anyone have a used one to sell? Any idea of a re-issue?

The bands Web Site does not even list this disc, barely has a video trailer for it. For something this well reviewed, and obviously sold-out, a fresh batch would seem to be in order, no?
Their website says they have no plans to do a second run on it. I really cannot imagine why......but they do say you can download a copy from Vimeo...which I've never heard of. US $15....of course I have no way to know if the download has the 5.1 or simply 2 channel...nor do I know quality of any of it.

Their website says they have no plans to do a second run on it. I really cannot imagine why......but they do say you can download a copy from Vimeo...which I've never heard of. US $15....of course I have no way to know if the download has the 5.1 or simply 2 channel...nor do I know quality of any of it.
Thanks, guess I'll have to skip that one unless a used one pops up. Thankfully, the new MoL album is coming out on BluRay soon.

I have the Stone & Steel Blu-ray, but out of curiosity I've paid £10.23 for a 1080p mp4 Download from Vimeo, only about 6GB so less than the BD, too late here (23:30) to see what is in the .mp4. I'll have a look tomorrow and report back.

I have the Stone & Steel Blu-ray, but out of curiosity I've paid £10.23 for a 1080p mp4 Download from Vimeo, only about 6GB so less than the BD, too late here (23:30) to see what is in the .mp4. I'll have a look tomorrow and report back.
The mp4 is of the whole Big Big Train "Stone & Steel" film as one file, so interviews, setting up, etc. and the live 'gig' at Real World, and its in Stereo :( . I got it for my brother who doesn't do surround :eek: and missed out on the Blu-ray.
It took about 45 minutes to download last night and I have a 50Mb/s downlink, I would have expected it to be around 15-20 minutes.

The mp4 is of the whole Big Big Train "Stone & Steel" film as one file, so interviews, setting up, etc. and the live 'gig' at Real World, and its in Stereo :( . I got it for my brother who doesn't do surround :eek: and missed out on the Blu-ray.

Thanks for looking and reporting, it's a shame, as the difference in size for a 5.1 soundtrack is not that big.

It took about 45 minutes to download last night and I have a 50Mb/s downlink, I would have expected it to be around 15-20 minutes.
Likely due to BufferBloat, you can check if you have that with this test: http://evenroute.com/iqtest
I run an IQrouter and only have 10 Mbps line, and while things take a while, the time is predictable.

Over the last few weeks I've had the immense pleasure of play testing the 5.1 mix of Big Big Train's next live BluRay "Merchants of Light", which is scheduled for release before Christmas. Before I started I wondered if Rob Aubrey (who mixed it) could achieve the same stunning results as Stone & Steel, which to me sets a benchmark for how to do surround mixing.

To my amazement he's actually surpassed what he achieved on Stone & Steel. It's absolutely stunning!

Back