Steven Wilson SW wants info on what your favorite SW 5.1 tracks are (on Facebook)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Check out Steven's Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/swremixes/?fref=nf

He's looking for suggestions as to his best 5.1 work for a seminar he's doing. QQ Facebook-types should chime in!

:cool:

From his page:
Later this year I will be giving three talks on three consecutive nights in London about by mixing work, with the emphasis on 5.1 surround sound. Each of these talks will focus on a different area; my own music, 70's progressive music, and a third covering work that doesn't fit in to either of these first 2 (so that could be XTC, Tears for Fears, Roxy Music, Opeth...etc...). The talks will make use of audio examples which will be played back through a 5.1 setup. I have a few tracks in mind already, but I won't have time to listen back to everything I've done, so I'm inviting you guys to help me out and make some suggestions on which tracks you think best illustrate my 5.1 work. Note that I'm not asking you what your favourite tracks are, more which ones have that "wow" factor in surround. Please leave your thoughts in the comments here, and thanks in advance! More news on the event itself soon....

If I was a facebooker, I would suggest "How is Your Life Today" from Lightbulb Sun". ("She's Moved On" is pretty damn good too from that album)

Too much to choose from but Fear of a Blank Planet from Porcupine Tree is nice :), can't suggest it though, I just deleted my FB account.

Yes! I frequently use the "wish I was old and a little..." section from Normal as demo material. Same goes for How is Your Life.

I gotta add Flicker also. As for non-PT related mixes, that's a tough question.

Once the Easter holiday passes, I'll be all over Facebook with this!
I'm now trying to see if I can actually find a way to make it to London for this three night seminar. QQ field trip?! ;)

Slim chance i'd be able to attend this, although I think it would be fascinating. At the very least, I hope it gets recorded and uploaded to youtube.

I'm not on Facebook either, and frankly there have been so many great mixes that I'd find it difficult too single out even just a few...but I'm quite curious to see what replies he gets and how he responds to them, if he can.

I'd be more inclined, if given the opportunity - maybe for the next QQ Forum "Ask Steven" session to ask about alternate 5.1 mixes. I know it's been said that Steven tries to recreate a new version of the traditional mix and then spread it around...but when doing that, has he ever done some whacky wild stuff just for fun, one's we don't get to hear.

Remember all those old 80's era 12" singles with the extended and/or dub mixes of songs....how about a collection of stuff like that? Yeah, different labels and licensing, artist permission etc makes it improbable but a 5.1 blu-ray of "Steven's Midnight Madness Mixes" sounds like a lot of fun to me.

If I was a facebooker, I would suggest "How is Your Life Today" from Lightbulb Sun". ("She's Moved On" is pretty damn good too from that album)
i agree. one can like or not the content but from surround point that's brilliant work.
every song from surround version of this album can be used as exemplary.
and that's true, hard to choose. too many of his surround mixes and all of them great.

Back