Fleetwood Mac - Mirage 5.1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess the Tusk box set must have sold well. I wonder why the holdout on Fleetwood Mac's self-titled album?

I hope this is true and not just some hoax....or that they decide to can the project instead of releasing it...gives me hope that Tango In The Night could someday get the same treatment...it already sounds good on CD...

I guess the Tusk box set must have sold well. I wonder why the holdout on Fleetwood Mac's self-titled album?

As long as this doesn't end up being just a 'mirage', I'm definitely in for it! Now to drop a bug in Ken Callait's ear to see if he can convince WB to release this a high-res surround disc, that would really be icing on this very succulent cake! :)

As for the self-titled album, I don't think there's necessarily a 'holdout' on that one. Record companies only have so much time and resources that must be allocated out to several releases from several artists in a single year, so I think (and hope) that this is a case of wanting to finally release remastered and expanded deluxe editions for "Mirage" and "Tango in the Night" (something fans have been ranting on about for years) before going back and releasing a deluxe box (with surround) for the self-titled album, but I'm confident the latter will definitely happen at some point, especially since WB are now commissioning a new surround mix for an album like "Mirage" rather than just release surround mixes that are already finished. Hope definitely springs eternal today! :)

Super Duper News........Love this album...it was on this tour Snood first saw them in concert. AWEEEEESSSSOOOOMME!!!!! :banana:

Why does it have to be a super deluxe box set for over $100, why not just the SACD?

The self titled Fleetwood Mac would be great, but I'm up for buying Mirage in 5.1 and any other Fleetwood Mac that they care to put out.

Maybe it'll get released on a single 5.1 disc once they've made their money on the box set, but who knows, is it worth the risk of waiting to find out? There are loads of 5.1 releases I wish I'd got when they were originally released and are now way over priced 2nd hand.

Why does it have to be a super deluxe box set for over $100, why not just the SACD?

First off, Warner Brothers (or any of the major labels) don't support SACD anymore themselves, and for some releases, they would rather keep it 'in the family' (as it were) and release it themselves rather than license it out to another label, particularly if it's something they feel they could make a good bit of money on themselves. But I completely agree with Duncan. It's better to release a surround mix in a deluxe box set rather than not release it at all. I'm definitely not waiting on a smaller release. I'm going to buy this big deluxe set if it's only the way to get the surround mix rather than wait on a smaller release that will never come. Ymmv...

I've been loving the Tusk mega-box, so if Mirage gets the same treatment I'll be very happy. I would really hope that this time they don't overlook having some video. The old VHS concert video from this tour is amazing. Worth having just for the performance of "Sisters of the Moon" alone:

[video=youtube;MylEvSwDVSk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MylEvSwDVSk[/video]

I've been loving the Tusk mega-box, so if Mirage gets the same treatment I'll be very happy. I would really hope that this time they don't overlook having some video. The old VHS concert video from this tour is amazing. Worth having just for the performance of "Sisters of the Moon" alone:

Video would definitely be great, providing of course they don't chuck out the surround mix to make room for any video supplements. ;)

It's nice to have a fresh mix...let's just hope they don't use what passes as "modern"(compressed to death)mastering..

At this point, I'm expecting it to be mastered the same as "Rumours" and "Tusk" have been mastered, just like I'm also expecting it to be a lossy DVD-V disc like "Tusk", but I'll be very pleasantly surprised if the reissue team sees the light of day on either point.
And btw, it doesn't have to be a 'flat transfer' to sound great. A little mastering can go a long way to making a mix sound even better if it's done right. (And we all know that's a big IF…) ;)

At this point, I'm expecting it to be mastered the same as "Rumours" and "Tusk" have been mastered, just like I'm also expecting it to be a lossy DVD-V disc like "Tusk", but I'll be very pleasantly surprised if the reissue team sees the light of day on either point.
And btw, it doesn't have to be a 'flat transfer' to sound great. A little mastering can go a long way to making a mix sound even better if it's done right. (And we all know that's a big IF…) ;)

You are probably right that it will be mastered like Rumours and Tusk...and I'd love to see an improvement...like you...but I can deal with the status quo...but my fear is that unlike Tusk and Rumours...it's 2016 and times/standards have changed.. and more importantly record companies have this false impression that to make their recording stand out they need to raise the volume(loudness wars)...but the possible salvation here is that it's going to be in a box set...so they can do that with the CD's that will be included and even if you are a record exec you don't have to be a mensa candidate to realize WHO the primary demographic target for this release is...and it's not the teens and 20 something crowd...so unless they are completely clueless(which could be the case)they have to realize that it's an older segment of the population that will be the majority of customers for this release...of course as I say that I realize that you are in that 20 something segment...but you are the exception to the rule...so there is no need to crush the dynamic range for something that isn't going to be played in a portable device...it's too bad that these record companies don't listen to the people that are involved in the project and get their opinion...I'm sure Ken would love to have more input...but when you are asked to work on a project...you just do what they ask...jobs for a lot of these guys aren't growing on trees...a few are lucky and have plenty of work...but that's not the case for all of them..I'm just glad this release is going to happen...I wonder if it had anything to do with the fact that they just had a tour...and from most accounts it drew good crowds...so this brings the focus back on Fleetwood Mac and their catalog..

$100 for Tusk, a double album. What's the chances of $50 for Mirage, a single album? Not much I guess.

I bought Tusk, but I don't think I'll get this one if it's priced similar to Tusk. I never even played any of the CDs. Just the DVD in 5.1.

Back