Fleetwood Mac - Mirage 5.1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sort of forgot about this one...I went back to check my pre-order and it looks like I ordered from Amazon UK and my price shipped is US $49.99. One of the best prices around I think as US Amazon is sitting at $85.49 and Bull Moose at US $76.97.

Me too! :)

First listen right now. Surprise from the mailman a couple hours ago from Bullmoose. Only on the third song now. Very nice sound not too aggressive, but lots of new instruments added in surround channels. You wouldn't mistake this for the stereo mix. I like it a lot will take a while to get used to it. Beautiful, will be a 10 for me! A favorite album for me and a real fresh take of it.

Lots of double tracked and background vocals spread out nicely. Every song so far has extra stuff mixed in or brought up in the mix. Lovin' it.

Gypsy doesn't have new elements, but a very nice surround mix. Vocals brought out at times that were previously buried. Eyes Of The World appropriately aggressively mixed...

I really like this surround mix. I do have a couple of caveats, though. Hold Me now is a duet between Christine and Lindsey in the front channels. It's not pleasant as in the stereo mix it's a Christine lead with backing by Lindsey, this gives a very different vibe. Empire State is subdued, it deserves a more aggressive mix like Eyes of The World. Cool Water is an interesting bonus. On most songs as I mentioned have unused elements mixed in, and some backing vocals brought up which most of the time are cool, but at times they can change the feel of the song if you're used to the stereo mix, like me. I'd give it a 9.5 if I could, which still rounds to a 10. I also wish it was available as a stand alone blu-ray. I'm very happy new surround mixes are trickling out.

First off, Warner Brothers (or any of the major labels) don't support SACD anymore themselves.

Warner Music in the US never supported SACD since they were part of the development of the DVD Audio and Dual Disc formats.
That's why the release of SACD editions of their albums by the overseas Warner Music divisions (Hong Kong, Japan and Europe) proved a bit distressing to the Warner US team. :)

I am a newbie to this album and I think it's some impressive pop.. Have listened a couple of times now and I think the surround is terrific. It's dts and my Oppo says it plays at 1.8 Mbps. This compares to say 15 Mbps for the lpcm surround of say a blu Ray album like Tears for Fears "Songs from the Big Chair." If someone who is more technical than me could explain what that means it would save me from having to reveal my ignorance. I don't know if that is the read rate from the disc before the "decompression magic" happens or what and I would love to know. Anyway, as a stand-alone this would be an automatic purchase, but I don't know who is the target market that has need of vinyl, CD and DVD-video. Anyway, back to the sound, it's really great. Strong mid-range and higher. Mid-bass seems a tad light. I noticed there isn't a lot of cymbal work done throughout the album which seems a bit of a departure for FM. At times it seemed LB's guitar work was pushed off to the side, both his leads as well as some of his ornamental runs. Nothing major to complain about and much to enjoy.

I am a newbie to this album and I think it's some impressive pop.. Have listened a couple of times now and I think the surround is terrific. It's dts and my Oppo says it plays at 1.8 Mbps. This compares to say 15 Mbps for the lpcm surround of say a blu Ray album like Tears for Fears "Songs from the Big Chair." If someone who is more technical than me could explain what that means it would save me from having to reveal my ignorance. I don't know if that is the read rate from the disc before the "decompression magic" happens or what and I would love to know. Anyway, as a stand-alone this would be an automatic purchase, but I don't know who is the target market that has need of vinyl, CD and DVD-video. Anyway, back to the sound, it's really great. Strong mid-range and higher. Mid-bass seems a tad light. I noticed there isn't a lot of cymbal work done throughout the album which seems a bit of a departure for FM. At times it seemed LB's guitar work was pushed off to the side, both his leads as well as some of his ornamental runs. Nothing major to complain about and much to enjoy.

1.509 mbps or 1509 kbps is what I thaught was the maximum for dts. Maybe someone else knows why the Oppo is showing something higher. Can't wait to hear this. Can you compare this to Tusk?

1.509 mbps or 1509 kbps is what I thaught was the maximum for dts. Maybe someone else knows why the Oppo is showing something higher. Can't wait to hear this. Can you compare this to Tusk?

Layman's theory: Could the video content (onscreen menu) be using up the extra itty bits and bytes per second?

Layman's theory: Could the video content (onscreen menu) be using up the extra itty bits and bytes per second?

Your right. That is what happens when you use the pc to play back all your music. Mind gets lazy:)

It's a nice discrete surround mix but it's a bit on the bright side for my taste. I would have preferred a warmer, less clinical sound but at least some effort has gone into using all of the surround field.

Your right. That is what happens when you use the pc to play back all your music. Mind gets lazy:)

Well don't take my word for it, it could be the reason for the extra bits per second, I'm not a techno boffin like some of the folks round here..!
tbh I'm trying to do as much of this surround music stuff on the computer as possible (mainly because it saves me burning discs of all the Quad vinyl conversions) and convenience of a kinda unified "hub" for all the music :smokin

It's a nice discrete surround mix but it's a bit on the bright side for my taste. I would have preferred a warmer, less clinical sound but at least some effort has gone into using all of the surround field.

that's a very interesting point.. it does have a slightly cold sound in places on the 5.1.. I never had this album in any format before and only know tracks like Gypsy, Oh Diane, Hold Me from the Greatest Hits CD I got in the early 90's (its the green background with white flower or whatever on the cover that the whole world bought at the time) there was a time I played that CD to absolute death.. overall that CD is pretty bright and clinical sounding I reckon though apart from Don't Stop & the tracks from the S/T album from '75.. what that means I don't know, is the regular CD or 1st press vinyl of Mirage also bright etc. or is it "warm and beautiful"..as Macca would say?

Someone over on SDE pointed out this site. Under the "clients" page it mentions that they have remastered Tango in the Night in 2016. Hopefully the next reissue? Of all the albums from the Buckingham/Nicks era of the band, Tango has the most potential for a great surround mix with lots of layers of keys, guitars and harmonies.

Someone over on SDE pointed out this site. Under the "clients" page it mentions that they have remastered Tango in the Night in 2016. Hopefully the next reissue? Of all the albums from the Buckingham/Nicks era of the band, Tango has the most potential for a great surround mix with lots of layers of keys, guitars and harmonies.

That would be lovely, wonderful in fact, since Tango is probably my most played Fleetwood Mac album to this day.. one small thing (potentially indicative of nothing) is that also on that list I spotted mention of remastering of The Divine Miss M... and as we know that's going to be Deluxe Stereo only Surround disappointment without the lovely old Quad included.. anyway, hate to be the voice of doom.. just saying.. fingers crossed we'll have a 5.1 Tango soon! :banana:

Anyone else order this from Amazon UK? My status has said "shipping today" since Thursday yet there's been no confirmation of them shipping the package. They did the pre-authorization thing on my credit card last week, but they haven't actually charged my card yet. They are showing they have copies in stock. Strange.....

Anyone else order this from Amazon UK? My status has said "shipping today" since Thursday yet there's been no confirmation of them shipping the package. They did the pre-authorization thing on my credit card last week, but they haven't actually charged my card yet. They are showing they have copies in stock. Strange.....

Same here!

Back