DVD/DTS Poll Anathema - Distant Satellites [DTS 96/24 DVD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the Audio-DVD of Anathema - DISTANT SATELLITES

• 7:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6:

• 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Fidelity, Poor Surround, Poor Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on the CD/DVD 5.1 24/96 DVD-V release from kScope by Anatheam, DISTANT SATELLITES. (Also available in a deluxe edition with 2 DVDs, one concerning the making of the album)
48-khz/24-bit lossless 5.1 FLAC files can be purchased at Immersive Audio Album.

PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION THREAD: Anathema-Distant Satellites(some mixed by Steven Wilson) June 9

Anathema.jpg

Woo, yay!!! A poll for an awesome album. I'm gonna start things off with a... hmmm... 9? 10?
Well, it is only DTS. But it is hella awesome...
I could go either weak 10 or strong 9 here...
Let's say 10! Lost Song is worth it alone. :music

I have the Distant Satellites Japan only Blu-ray Audio release (5.1 DTS HD MA 48K 24-Bit lossless) http://www.hraudio.net/showmusic.php?title=9867

A superb Hi-Rez release from Anathema. I found one minor issue with the 5.1 mix by Jens Bogren (uncredited). He aggressively intensifies the mix in the rear channels and aurally I felt overwhelmed. To obtain a more balanced sound, I adjusted both rear channels by -3 dB to compensate ( I rarely touch my rears). I look for a more expansive and natural 'bloom' in the soundfield particularly from the rear channels. Still, Bogren's 5.1 mix is very good with the adjustments.

I cannot say enough good things about Distant Satellites..... a stellar album from Anathema and a "work of ethereal beauty'.

Last edited:
I'm surprised we didn't already have a poll for this one! The album is superb and I seem to remember it being a pretty good mix, so I'll have to dig it out again and give it another play before rating. :)

I have the Distant Satellites Japan only Blu-ray Audio release (5.1 DTS HD MA 48K 24-Bit lossless) http://www.hraudio.net/showmusic.php?title=9867

A superb Hi-Rez release from Anathema. I found one minor issue with the 5.1 mix by Jens Bogren (uncredited). He aggressively intensifies the mix in the rear channels and aurally I felt overwhelmed. To obtain a more balanced sound, I adjusted both rear channels by -3 dB to compensate ( I rarely touch my rears). I look for a more expansive and natural 'bloom' in the soundfield particularly from the rear channels. Still, Bogren's 5.1 mix is very good with the adjustments.

I cannot say enough good things about Distant Satellites..... a stellar album from Anathema and a "work of ethereal beauty'.
I keep wondering if it is worth it to upgrade from DTS DVD to the blu-ray. Has anybody heard both, by chance?

I absolutely adore this album apart from the awful you’re not alone, I have given it a 9, without that track it’s an easy 10, is it possible for a human being to listen to the lost song part 2 and not be crying like a baby? Maybe it’s just me but Lee Douglas has the best female voice in music bar none

Last edited:
I absolutely adore this album apart from the awful you’re not alone, I have given it a 9, without that track it’s an easy 10, is it possible for a human being to listen to the lost song part 2 and not be crying like a baby? Maybe it’s just me but Lee Douglas has the best female voice in music bar none
Went and refreshed my mind on You're Not Alone. If that's the weakest track for you, I can see why this album works, on the whole! It's not bad, for a loopy, experimental kind of thing!
Agree, Lee is just lovely. :love::love::love:

I love this album. After taking a chance with a gift card on The Optimist, I started looking for other works of theirs in Surround. Found the 3 disc set for a good price. My only complaint about it would be the design of the package. The book is attached in a way that makes is hard to hold and the discs fall out all the time.

the music is great, sounds great to me and I enjoy the mix. A good mix of atmospherics and discrete information. if I is Jens Bogren, it’s one of his better efforts. Maybe it’s the SW influence mentioned in the first post

A 9 for me.

An earlier post states Jens is the mixer, but his name is not in the notes. Neither is Jakko. Who knows who did it?
The producer, Christer-André Cederberg, mixed both the stereo and the surround on this, aside from the tracks mixed by Steven Wilson. It was my understanding that he also mixed the surround on Weather Systems.

Back