Music DVD Poll Fleetwood Mac - The Dance [DVD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD of Fleetwood Mac - The Dance

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Mix, Poor visuals, Poor presentation

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this 1997 DVD Live Concert release from Fleetwood Mac with a 5.1 mix by Elliot Scheiner.
(Dolby Digital)

Fleetwood Mac The Dance.jpg

This was the DVD that I heard at a friend's house in 2003 that turned me on to discrete surround sound. I had been familiar with synthesized Dobly surround, but I had no clue that engineers were actually mixing for more than two speakers. I distinctly heard acoustic guitars coming from the speakers behind me. I got up and stuck my ear next to one of the surrounds and my life (or my wallet) hasn't been the same since.

All that being said, I'm not crazy about this disc. The fidelity is wonderful, and the performances of "Big Love" and "Landslide" are worth the price of admission, but two specific things drive me crazy:
1. I understand an artist taking liberties with their own work, but Stevie drives me nuts. It's as if she's never listened to the original recording and never intended to sing anything the same way twice.
2. I wish these classic bands - particularly Fleetwood Mac and the Eagles - would have taken to the road like they did back in the day: Just the five of them. Having half a dozen or so hired guns helping out on stage sure makes it sound good, but in my opinion it loses some mystique. Oh, and by the way: McCartney's only had five on stage since Linda passed away, and he seems to do just fine.

Enough of my ranting... On with your regularly scheduled polling!

I'll have to revisit it in the next few days...but content wise it is it one of the best concerts of all time for me...I'm holding it in my hand right now and of those 22 songs I would say there is only one that I don't care much for...My Little Demon....when blu ray technology became available this was my number 1 request...I kept hoping it would become a blu ray concert for a decade....

I played this one to death when it was first out. Watched it not too long ago, and what I thought was a reference disc hasn't aged well. The 4:3 video is smeary and not very detailed. The early Dolby Digital sounds tinny, and the bass seems pumped up. I still really like the performances, done on a soundstage, and very slick. I think this deserves a reissue with DTS or Blu-Ray uncompressed audio. Maybe the video would clean up some too. Christine McVie is sorely missed on the newer Mac videos. The surround mix is incredible, done by our friend Elliot Scheiner. Video 6 and audio 7, surround mix 10. Because of the surround mix, I still give it an 8.

I gave it an 8, a really good show, doing lots of classics we all know, and the ending with of course (anyone who knows the mac) the spartons on Tusk.
I 1st saw this on tv one nite and loved it. A must for those who like mac, and were there in the 70's, drooling over a hot (younger) Stevie Nicks.

The best thing about The Dance is the dirty looks that Stevie and Lindsay give each other while singing Go Your Own Way.

This thing used to be packaged in a cardboard snapcase manufactured by Warners cardboard factory. Remember those? Got rid of mine.

One of my first music DVD purchases. I remember going into a shop in Austin to audition smaller 5.1 bookshelf speakers since I had planned to move into an apartment. The salesman put on The Dance. I'd heard Fleetwood Mac growing up but was never really into it. The Chain started and I was floored. I immediately went over to Best Buy and bought the DVD to play it at home. I've been chasing those initial chills I got hearing it for the first time every subsequent time I put it on. Easily a 10 for me.

Recently listened again... great performances This is one of the rare Scheiner mixes where I had to increase the levels of the rear channels on some songs to hear the goodies in back (mostly you get additional percussion and background vocals, but you also get the occasional guitar). My favorite thing about this disc, though are the 2 original Lindsey tunes, "Bleed To Love Her" and "My Little Demon". Also great versions of "Big Love" (but not from a surround standpoint) and "Silver Springs"; "Everywhere" has some good surround activity as well (and this is apparently the only "Tango In The Night" song we'll be getting in surround!). There's also 4 songs from the self-titled album (but I'm really hoping we get a true surround version of that album sooon...)

Every Fleetwood Mac album up to and including Tango should be in surround. We've gotten some fabulous titles, and I love this band and their albums so much that I would be all in on all of them.

This was a great concert and now about 20 years later they still show they have chops.

This is one of the rare Scheiner mixes where I had to increase the levels of the rear channels on some songs to hear the goodies in back (mostly you get additional percussion and background vocals, but you also get the occasional guitar)

Looking at this on the PC now...how much did you boost the rears? I agree they do look a bit low.

Update- sounds good to me at +10 dB. The "Tango" tracks are a blast.

Last edited:
I'd give it an 8. This is another one of those discs where there is discrete information, but the rears are mastered far too low (I should probably make a list of these, it seems like there's a considerable amount of them). I brought up the rears 10 dB (!) and it sounds balanced to me. Now I'm wondering if I got a bad copy or something as that's an unusually high volume boost and no one has mentioned this problem before.

"Everywhere" (Original):
Screen Shot 2018-12-16 at 12.50.58 AM.png

"Everywhere" (Rears +10dB):
Screen Shot 2018-12-16 at 12.51.15 AM.png

Once adjusted, it's a great live mix by Elliot Scheiner. Most tracks have backing vocals, percussion, and some rhythm guitar fully isolated in the rears. "Tusk" and "Don't Stop" have the entire brass section isolated back there! Though mostly ambient mixes, "I'm So Afraid" and the unplugged "Big Love" and "Go Insane" are highlights for me. Lindsey's guitar work on those tracks is mesmerizing. I may even prefer "I'm So Afraid" to the studio version!

The mixes on the Rumours songs make me wish ES got to do that DVD-A instead of Ken Caillat- his Rumours in nowhere near as good as the other three Mac 5.1's IMO.

I do hope we get the full studio Tango In The Night in surround someday...

Back