MLP and DVD Audio

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leevitalone1

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Very interesting. I wonder if Sony will also be coming out with some DVD-Audio authoring software. There's a complete lack (almost) of DVD-A authoring software. Currently I know of only one program and it doesn't support MLP compression. The only other programs are found in the "dark corners" of the Internet. There's been quite a flurry, at times, of activity in other QQ forums about this - https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?41-DVD-A-amp-BluRay-Audio-Creation-Workshop is one but there are others.

I can't see moving off of my region free Oppo 103 - can play anything short of a piece of cardboard :)
there is no MLP compression, MLP is Loss less.

there is no MLP compression, MLP is Loss less.

MLP stands for Meridian Lossess Packing, which is a data compression codec that lets multichannel hires audio fit into the data rate that a dvd can support. The end result is supposedly bit-for-bit identical audio data (hence the lossless) but it was packed (compressed) to fit through the data pipe.

There's always a problem with the word 'compression'. It can refer to digital data compression which is used to reduce data storage/bandwidth size but can decompress to its original data (lossless, MLP, zip files etc) or it can refer to altering the loudness of audio (permanent change to audio levels) which to many is undesirable.

There doesn't need to be though: data compression and dynamic compression distinguishes between the two.

..which is data compression, lossless, and has NO AUDIBLE EFFECT if decoded properly. If improperly decoded the likely effect would be total failure of audio.

Why are we even discussing this in 2016?

Back