Steven Wilson remixing Chicago II into 5.1 Surround...??

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to say this makes little sense to me...why would you work to replace a stellar surround title when there are tons of crappy one's you could work on...Chicago V would make more sense...I guess I'm snake bitten..I have the DVD-A and it wasn't cheap...same for aqualung...I could name some other titles that got a facelift that were excellent as well...and costly also...so I guess the response will be that they are out of print but it sure sucks when you have these titles and want some new titles and learn that they are going backward...

I have to say this makes little sense to me...why would you work to replace a stellar surround title when there are tons of crappy one's you could work on...Chicago V would make more sense...I guess I'm snake bitten..I have the DVD-A and it wasn't cheap...same for aqualung...I could name some other titles that got a facelift that were excellent as well...and costly also...so I guess the response will be that they are out of print but it sure sucks when you have these titles and want some new titles and learn that they are going backward...

Maybe its part of a series of classic Chicago releases with new Steven Wilson 5.1 & Stereo remixes and the old Quad mixes plus other juicy extras included, all in DVD-A/BD-A Hi-Res form.. that would more than justify a double dip (or whatever multiplier we're at with these albums).. imho :)

I'm with The Clintster on this one. No disrespect to Mister Wilson's work, but having owned the DVD-A of this fine album, I don't understand why this would necessitate a new mix.

Maybe its part of a series of classic Chicago releases with new Steven Wilson 5.1 & Stereo remixes and the old Quad mixes plus other juicy extras included, all in DVD-A/BD-A Hi-Res form.. that would more than justify a double dip (or whatever multiplier we're at with these albums).. imho :)

If it turns out to be like that then this is an instant buy for me.

With Steven's work with his own music he really doesn't have that much time to do outside projects... so doing redundant surround titles really cuts into that limited time even more...

Given the challenges of licensing, artist consent, available master tapes, etc I don't believe that any SW project would necessarily be at the expense of another 'more worthy' one. I would welcome this. The old mix is far from stellar IMO.

If this was Chicago VII I would be going nuts, but alas, why II? It's been done in the '70s and again in the '00s.

I am sure it would be great, but what about the titles that haven't been done already?

Duncan...are you sure you don't already have this title...there is no II on the cover...it just says Chicago...

Sorry for causing any confusion, the album is just "Chicago" on the front cover rather than "II" even though it is their 2nd album and so kinda gets referred to as "II" most the time to differentiate it from their (approximately) 147 other albums all called "Chicago" on the front cover :)

..thinking about it, technically I think all the "II" thru "X" Quads are all labelled just "Chicago" on the record labels themselves, apart from "Chicago Transit Authority" and "Chicago's Greatest Hits"...? ..the spines on the Quad LPs I have say "Chicago II", "Chicago VI", "Chicago VII", "Chicago IX: Chicago's Greatest Hits" and "Chicago X" but I'm no aficionado on the group so have no idea beyond that.. calling steelydave or Larry Geller or, erm, well someone who knows..?!? :p

Back