Steven Wilson remixing Chicago II into 5.1 Surround...??

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Crappy mixes are crappy mixes. No need to bring DPLIIx into the discussion. Many many stereo releases sound bad through PLIIx also.

Perhaps the harshest truth to face in the world of surround music is how few genuine surround mixes even compare to the original stereo thru DPLIIx, let alone surpass it. At times it makes me think this whole hobby just isn't worth all the trouble. The few great mixes do renew my faith when I hear them, but sadly most cannot honestly pass this test.

Haha...um no. Sorry but I don't agree with your post in the least.

Perhaps the harshest truth to face in the world of surround music is how few genuine surround mixes even compare to the original stereo thru DPLIIx, let alone surpass it. At times it makes me think this whole hobby just isn't worth all the trouble. The few great mixes do renew my faith when I hear them, but sadly most cannot honestly pass this test.

Wow. I can't agree with this at all. There have been some crappy mixes that weren't worth the effort, but I find those in the minority. I MUCH prefer a real 5.1 mix. And since the thread is about SW possible doing a mix, then I'm sure it would be better than a button on my receiver is going to do.

Actually, I'm a purist about this sort of thing. I play stereo cd's in stereo and have never really enjoyed the faux surround.

K

Thanks for your comment Eggplant. I must say that I have preferred the multi-channel mixes of most stuff compared to pseudo 7.1 using PLIIx or Logic7. However, there are a number of mixes that are nothing more than "big stereo." The 5.1 mix of 25 or 6 to 4 on the DVD-A is one such track. There really is little going on in those surround channels other than ambience. In one review, I even saw it referred to as a nice "three-channel presentation." Also, the 2.0 version on the DVD-A is a very well done remix. That's why I prefer this particular track in pseudo 7.1 as it results in a more satisfying overall experience to my ears. I am extremely curious as to what Steven Wilson would come up for 25 or 6 to 4 in 5.1.

Note that I prefer Ballad for a Girl in Buchannan and most other tracks on the DVD-A in straight 5.1. The 2.0 version in pseudo 7.1 doesn't sound as good to me as the straight 5.1 with the surrounds juiced up by a few dB.

Our friend Steve Woolard (known as ForagingRhino on here) has said this over on the IMWAN forum:
One disc only, no 5.1 mix was created by Steven Wilson, only a new stereo remix.

So there you have it. This is a single stereo CD release.

Our friend Steve Woolard (known as ForagingRhino on here) has said this over on the IMWAN forum:

So there you have it. This is a single stereo CD release.

I was wondering why SW would spend his time RE-RE-REMIXING into MCH this LP.
The Quad mix is awesome , and the DVD-A version is also REALLY good....

He'd be better off mixing Kate's "The Dreaming"...or ANY Cocteau Twins, which I think he's called dibs on them....

Stated release date of 27 July 2017! How bizarre, and Amazon UK still doesn't have a listing for Tales of Mystery stand alone bluray, which is released this Friday!!

Actually, it appears amazon.co.uk have the wrong release date. (Big shock, I know…)
It looks like it's actually supposed to come out on JANUARY 27th. (Not July…)

http://hiresaudiocentral.com/hi-res-steven-wilson-remix-of-chicago-ii-to-be-released-on-january-27/

Audiophiliacs rejoice: A new stereo version of Chicago’s second album has been masterminded by hi-res guru Steven Wilson. Chicago II: Steven Wilson Remix will be available on CD from Rhino on January 27, 2017. The newly remixed album will also be released as a double-LP set later next year.

Chicago II, originally released in 1970, has been remixed before — and you can also get the fantastic quad version of it on Blu-ray in the band’s recently released Quadio box set — but for the first time, a stereo remix from the 16-track multi-track tapes made it possible for Wilson to bring out elements that were said to be muffled or submerged in the mix. The result is a new stereo version of Chicago II that is said to boast clearness, punch, and definition that it didn’t have before.

“Working with high-resolution 96kHz/24-bit digitally transferred files, I had every element from the recording sessions isolated,” explains Wilson. “That meant I was able to rebuild the mix from the drums upwards, recreating as closely as I could the equalization, stereo placement, reverbs, other effects, and volume changes of each individual instrument or vocal — but at the same time looking to gain definition and clarity in the overall sound.”

In 1969, Chicago recorded the band’s follow-up to their debut album, Chicago Transit Authority (voted into the Grammy Hall of Fame in 2014). When it arrived in January 1970, Chicago II became an instant sensation. Principal composers James Pankow and Robert Lamm emerged further as the band’s source of Top Ten hits for the group, including “Make Me Smile” and “Colour My World,” as well as “25 or 6 to 4,” which peaked at #4 and has become one of the band’s signature songs. Pankow, Lamm, Terry Kath, Lee Loughnane, Walter Parazaider, Danny Seraphine, and Peter Cetera all somehow found time while touring the world behind the success of CTA to prepare another double LP album.

“So rich was their creative seam at the time that, like their debut, and the album that followed this one, it was a two-record set,” continues Wilson. “In fact, with unprecedented boldness, the run of double albums was only broken by their fourth, which was a quadruple set [1971’s live Chicago at Carnegie Hall]. I consider all of these albums to be classics, but perhaps Chicago II is the pre-eminent masterpiece. It’s got everything: moments of tender beauty to power riffs and scorched-earth jazz-rock, catchy melodies, and gorgeous vocal harmonies. When I first heard it as a teenager, I was captivated by the mixture of jazz, blues, pop, classical, progressive, and heavy rock styles, including both improvisational elements and intricate arrangements, and by songs written and sung by several different members, all with their own unique personality. How could that possibly hang together? But it does, and brilliantly so.”

:)

According to a RHINO press release, the MSRP will be $14.98 for the CD
(Although it will probably be cheaper depending on where it is purchased from)

The cover has changed slightly to reflect this new remix:
15193640_1870695839829219_5872250070163509645_n.jpg

:)

I was wondering why SW would spend his time RE-RE-REMIXING into MCH this LP.
The Quad mix is awesome , and the DVD-A version is also REALLY good....

He'd be better off mixing Kate's "The Dreaming"...or ANY Cocteau Twins, which I think he's called dibs on them....
Even stranger that he only mixed it into stereo. Or at least that is how it is released. Hopefullt SW did make a surround mix too that will gets relased somehow.

Even if only stereo, I still want to hear what Wilson does with this remix. Just wish it was hi-res, however.

There's a good chance that the remix will be available digitally, including on high-res sites like HDTracks and maybe Acoustic Sounds too. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This has the stench of a hi-res physical release (bluray or similar) a year from now written all over it. Wait for all the Quadio sets to sell out, sell the remix on CD and vinyl (and presumably HDTracks, etc.) and then just before Christmas next year, announce the Pangeyric-style special edition. Getting my toldyaso's in now, a year in advance. ;)

This has the stench of a hi-res physical release (bluray or similar) a year from now written all over it. Wait for all the Quadio sets to sell out, sell the remix on CD and vinyl (and presumably HDTracks, etc.) and then just before Christmas next year, announce the Pangeyric-style special edition. Getting my toldyaso's in now, a year in advance. ;)

You could be right. Honestly, I think I've had my fill of Chicago lately. I'm ready for something different. :)

Back